Real Madrid

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Actually there are many experts or people that run websites that deal with tactics who think that Cristiano's non existent role in defense hurts the team more than his goals help it to win. Dortmund exposed that e.g. when they threw you out of the CL a couple of years ago.
It also hurts us when Messi does not participate in pressing at all but he tends to do that in big games.

I think that is also one of the reasons why Ancelotti has put Cristiano in a central role because it demands less work to stay near the CBs than tracking back to help the fullback defend.
I do not want participate in another discussion about his class, tap ins or whatever but when you mention your shaky defense it is not only about the back four but it starts from the front.

serghei

I do not want participate in another discussion about his class, tap ins or whatever but when you mention your shaky defense it is not only about the back four but it starts from the front.

That is true. I have been blaming Messi because he used to walk a lot, but this season Messi did defensive work quite often in the big games. He made a penalty (!!!) vs Atletico and defended like a mad man for a big part of that 2nd half vs Bayern. Marcelo and Ronaldo on Real's left side is asking for trouble. A winger-striker that doesn't track back and a super-offensive fullback that is shaky in defence. Add to that a very unbalanced midfield and problems with set pieces and you have a defensively unsound team.

It's one of the reasons Real went 4-4-2 a couple of times. A 4-3-3 means wingers need to do some defensive work, especially without midfielders that are strong defensively. Real played a lot with 7 players who are pretty mediocre at trying to block attacks (some don't even try to do that). Marcelo, Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Isco, James, Kroos.

Last edited:

Ritchie

Actually there are many experts or people that run websites that deal with tactics who think that Cristiano's non existent role in defense hurts the team more than his goals help it to win. Dortmund exposed that e.g. when they threw you out of the CL a couple of years ago.
It also hurts us when Messi does not participate in pressing at all but he tends to do that in big games.

Messi generally steps up his level for the big games. Ronaldo saves his A game for Getafe and Granada.

If Barca are a few goals up then Messi switches off and conserves energy. Ronaldo plays the same way at 5-0 up because he wants more goals and exploits any weakness in beaten opponents. That's what wins him the Pichichi's, and ideally Messi would be more like that, but if Messi saving his A game means he scores title winning goals at the Calderon and wins us a CL semi against Bayern with his genius then i'd prefer that.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Messi generally steps up his level for the big games. Ronaldo saves his A game for Getafe and Granada.

If Barca are a few goals up then Messi switches off and conserves energy. Ronaldo plays the same way at 5-0 up because he wants more goals and exploits any weakness in beaten opponents. That's what wins him the Pichichi's, and ideally Messi would be more like that, but if Messi saving his A game means he scores title winning goals at the Calderon and wins us a CL semi against Bayern with his genius then i'd prefer that.

Oh please. The old dumb "Ronaldo doesn't show up in big games " argument. Look at th number of goals that both scored in semi-finals of UCL. Ronaldo steps up often in big games,got us through Schalke and ATM in CL.

Vilarrubi

Oh please. The old dumb "Ronaldo doesn't show up in big games " argument. Look at th number of goals that both scored in semi-finals of UCL. Ronaldo steps up often in big games,got us through Schalke and ATM in CL.

Because Schalke are a top team. lol. RM's route to the final was one of the easiest ever and still couldn't get there.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Because Schalke are a top team. lol. RM's route to the final was one of the easiest ever and still couldn't get there.

Easiest ever ? Spanish champions Atletico Madrid and Italian 4 times in a row champions Juventus are super easy opponents? Not to mention that Juve might win a treble this year.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Easiest ever ? Spanish champions Atletico Madrid and Italian 4 times in a row champions Juventus are super easy opponents? Not to mention that Juve might win a treble this year.

Route to the final means last year. You aren't in the final this year.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR

My post was misleading. I actually ment that Messi does defensive work in big games not the opposite.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Route to the final means last year. You aren't in the final this year.

Erm you're absolutely wrong. This is what he said : "RM's route to the final was one of the easiest ever and still couldn't get there."
He obviously meant this year.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Erm you're absolutely wrong. This is what he said : "RM's route to the final was one of the easiest ever and still couldn't get there."

Well this year was pretty easy, RM got the draw they wanted each time, except may be for ATM and then again, it wasn't that hard, just that RM has been unrecognizable at times this season, they made all their opponents look good.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana

My bad. RM's route, while easier than Barca's was not that easy. Especially since they faced their bogey team in Atletico this season.

Vilarrubi

Juventus champions of a weak Italian league for 4 years but have this European record:

2013/14 UEFA Europa League Semi-finals
2013/14 UEFA Champions League Group stage
2012/13 UEFA Champions League Quarter-finals
2010/11 UEFA Europa League Group stage

Atletico Madrid are half the team they were last year and definitely not European elite. It's Ancelotti's fault they are your bogey team as we proved this season by beating them in all our 4 games, they are not particularly good.

Schalke don't even need mentioning. lol.

MaxY

Devil May Cry
Juventus champions of a weak Italian league for 4 years but have this European record:

2013/14 UEFA Europa League Semi-finals
2013/14 UEFA Champions League Group stage
2012/13 UEFA Champions League Quarter-finals
2010/11 UEFA Europa League Group stage

Atletico Madrid are half the team they were last year and definitely not European elite. It's Ancelotti's fault they are your bogey team as we proved this season by beating them in all our 4 games, they are not particularly good.

Schalke don't even need mentioning. lol.

I never said they are European elite, you're just posting things that make no sense and no relation to the thing that I said. You said the RM route was the EASIEST EVER which is just bullshit and ofc I disagreed. Isntead of admitting /realizing that you're wrong you're just bringing up arguments that won't help you in any way.

F

Flavia

Is it true flo will put Eduardo inda as spokesperson? That's desperate.

For who doesn't who he is, he used to be Marca's director. He speaks like mourinho.

Home of Barca Fans