Premier League 23/24

Who will win PL this season?

• Total voters

Rory

Yeah should have gotten out the ucl group, again don’t think anyone claimed otherwise. Easy straw man though.

They shouldn’t be close to city liverpool and Arsenal at this stage. Next season they should be

ajnotkeith

That's just completely irrelevant. ETH and Xavi are both 2-3rd tier managers.

The problem of ETH is that in his league, there are 3 tier 1 managers he has to fight against, and he's just not as good as them. Despite having more money on his hands than all of them.
Thats fair enough. He's clearly worse than Pep and Klopp.

delancey

I can agree. Never said big money = guaranteed success. I said big success with little money is close to impossible these days.
I don’t know Serghei! Big success on a consistent basis, long-term is challenging without significant financial resources. No doubt! But we have also seen how smaller teams are challenging the big guns in their respective leagues (outperforming some of the big spenders). So at the very least, short-term success is feasible under a great manager (even when resources are limited).

Just this season, these teams are doing extraordinarily well, despite everything:

Aston Villa in the Premier League
Leverkusen in the Bundesliga
Girona in La Liga

they may not win, but they are challenging while also playing attractive football. That’s really cool.

stb_1

ETH has disappointed me so hard.

I thought because of his Ajax side and how they played, he would come to the Prem and be a Pep-lite. 60% average possession or so, as it is they average a measley 50.8%.. terrible. De Zerbi, Postegocolou have been at their clubs for less time but they have already imprinted a nice ball dominant style of play. Hell, even Emery at Villa has them with 55% average.

They just have 0 control of games, play like a mid table team.

Birdy

ETH has disappointed me so hard.

I thought because of his Ajax side and how they played, he would come to the Prem and be a Pep-lite. 60% average possession or so, as it is they average a measley 50.8%.. terrible. De Zerbi, Postegocolou have been at their clubs for less time but they have already imprinted a nice ball dominant style of play. Hell, even Emery at Villa has them with 55% average.

They just have 0 control of games, play like a mid table team.

Part of their bad year is the terrible recruitment they did over the summer.
IF you saw United last season, you saw that ETH is the man to take them forward: clear principles of modern football in pressing, counter-pressing, and building up.

This season is a step back. Hopefully with a new SD and a proper sporting structure that the Glazers never cared to implement, they can have a project similar to Liverpool's when FSG took over and installed Gordon, Edwards, and Graham

Birdy

What statistics you base that on if I may ask? You say players bail him out but Onana had long line of howlers that cost them games. Attackers are also wasteful with the opportunities they get. They do create chances.

pl-expected-points-6-feb-2024-1536x1257.jpg
pl-expected-positions-6-feb-2024-1536x1257.jpg

I posted this last week or so, and it was made including stats from all games until 10-15 days ago.

UTD together with West Ham are the best overperformers of their deserved league position.
Should have been 12th, they are 6th.

Birdy

I think Arsenal clicked after their win over Liverpool.
They have had the best defense by far since the beginning of the season, and that's the Rice effect surely.
At the same time though, they have had problems in creating chances and breaking buses.

But now, the last 3 or 4 games, it seems that they have upgraded their attack, they look more fluid with Odegaard dropping deep and Haverz Trossard moving in between the lines, they have absolutely shattered opponents that 2 or 3 months back they would have won narrowly by 1 goal margin.

If Arsenal can keep this up, they might snatch the title. At the moment, they look better than City

Horatio

You're welcome
Part of their bad year is the terrible recruitment they did over the summer.
IF you saw United last season, you saw that ETH is the man to take them forward: clear principles of modern football in pressing, counter-pressing, and building up.

This season is a step back. Hopefully with a new SD and a proper sporting structure that the Glazers never cared to implement, they can have a project similar to Liverpool's when FSG took over and installed Gordon, Edwards, and Graham
Tbf man u first half of season riddles with injuries.

Iniesta Ultra

UTD should be below Chelsea some 6-9 pts based on performance so far.
And they are 9 ahead.
UTD's players are bailing ETH, while Chelsea players are letting Poch down
parallel realities

Scoring over or under xG can't be pinned solely on individual failure or success. Our gimpball tactics great example creates mental weakness in finishing. No execution ever occurs in isolation.

Home of Barca Fans