Paco Alcácer

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Can't really judge him by a single game, but at the same time he was brought here exactly for this kind of games... Suárez on the bench and a parked bus will be the only few games he'll play, so I expect more mobility and desire than he showed yesterday...

Still early, and in a way he was thrown to the lions, however if he's not up to a fast start there is no way he's going to get significant chances later in the season...

God Serena

You've waited what, 66mintues before deciding he isnt good enough. Remember when you wanted us to sell Arda because you thought he would never be good enough, right before he started playing really well. Point is loads of people on this forum judge players way too quickly, and later they end up backtracking.

He was bought to be a good upgrade to Munir right now. Not next season or the season after that. Someone actually said once that "We have four good forwards" now with Paco.

Huh? Where?

Arda is another case entirely in that he had a dramatic change in attitude and also had his position permanently changed in order to accommodate him. Strange but funny how that is so often overlooked by the mob of people here who like to throw Arda's situation in my face. What position will Paco switch to? Maybe we can use him as our backup RB, and then I'll be proven wrong again :lol:

valonquar

The guy has been training with the team for less than a week, asking him to make a different while the other 10 players didn't really show up would be a bit... I don't know... unfair?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Write him off when he's the one who doesn't show up regularly, not when the entire team decides to go on a trip to lala land in his first game.

Could you be more irrational....jeez.

And what is this 'I'll be proven wrong or right' rubbish? Tag me when you're proven right and I'll give you a cookie for your great achievement aiding humanity so much.

Last edited:

xXKonan

Considering his first training session was on Wednesday and coming from a totally different system and expecting him to be the second coming of Suarez right off the bat is a bit to much. He's going to be one of those guys who will need more time to adapt to his surroundings and teammates before we can see the best of him.

Said can be said for Andre Gomes as well.

Messi983

We wanted eachother but the club and their debt ratio couldn't pull the deal off prior to July 1 - the biggest reasons why? Aleix Vidal, Douglas & Arda Turan

Or Vermaelen, Adriano, Song,... and their high salaries.

That said, I prefer Paco over Nolito.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
It never made sense chasing a CF when we had one already integrating into the team, unless it was a player who was fairly certain of making an immediate impact. A wide dribbler was, has been & continues to be needed since Pedro left.

Nolito was the logical choice

gasgas

I think Gomez would have been a better acquisition if it was ever needed. Proven goalscorer, good linkup, at one time he was scoring 40+ goals a season, so he knows where the goal is, has survived the pressure at Bayern in both big games and small games
He doesn't block Munir's progression either,Munir goes on a loan with no option for the loan club to buy him (hence we get him back, new better and improved once the loan ends)

Watch Paco spend the whole season trying to adapt, end of season Munir accepts Valencia, and we send Paco on loan as well :lol:

BBZ8800

The problem is Barca number 9 role isn't all about scoring goals, it's also about moving around the pitch, try to being 'play-maker' at the same time and get the ball and pass it to others but not just staying in the opponent's penalty area.
And that's why Suarez is successful, he sometimes comes back and take the ball from middle, and so on.

Suarez is the best No9 in the world in the last 5 years.
We paid him, what, 90M, right?

In the last 20 years, the only successful Barca's No9s were:
1. Suarez: 90M
2. Villa: expensive, in the current market it would be like 94-100M for 30-years old Higuain
3. Etoo, paid 30M in 2004 (aged 23), which would be like 100M today
4. and Ronaldo R9, who was the one and only

So, basically, skillset for our level which we are looking for: scoring, moving around, passing=can be bought only for around 100M.

1. we never created a Cf from La Masia, good enough for our level
2. we never bought a young Cf/young gem for lower amount of money who turned into a next Etoo/Suarez/Villa (except R9)

Also, the same story on every topic:
Mats is a new long term Gk, for the next decade, the next Valdes.
Denis is the next Iniesta.
Samper is the next Busi.
Neymar is the next who knows what for the next decade.
Paco, could he be the next Suarez etc?

All of these players are just "attempts" to get a long term player.
Some of them will stay for 5+ years, majority of them will be gone in 2-3 years and we will just buy new 5-10 random "attempts".

About Paco, if our fans expected the next Suarez for 30-ish M, well, it very likely won't happen.
If you expect a 4th attacker who can maybe turn into an average/good/very good and who can score a decent amount of goals for us=that is possible.

But if people are expecting new Iniestas, Xavis and Etoos in each of new signings, I am quite sure that you will be very, very disappointed in 2 years time when we'll buy a new set of 5 "new attempts".

gasgas

Suarez is the best No9 in the world in the last 5 years.
We paid him, what, 90M, right?

In the last 20 years, the only successful Barca's No9s were:
1. Suarez: 90M
2. Villa: expensive, in the current market it would be like 94-100M for 30-years old Higuain
3. Etoo, paid 30M in 2004 (aged 23), which would be like 100M today
4. and Ronaldo R9, who was the one and only

So, basically, skillset for our level which we are looking for: scoring, moving around, passing=can be bought only for around 100M.

1. we never created a Cf from La Masia, good enough for our level
2. we never bought a young Cf/young gem for lower amount of money who turned into a next Etoo/Suarez/Villa (except R9)

Also, the same story on every topic:
Mats is a new long term Gk, for the next decade, the next Valdes.
Denis is the next Iniesta.
Samper is the next Busi.
Neymar is the next who knows what for the next decade.
Paco, could he be the next Suarez etc?

All of these players are just "attempts" to get a long term player.
Some of them will stay for 5+ years, majority of them will be gone in 2-3 years and we will just buy new 5-10 random "attempts".

About Paco, if our fans expected the next Suarez for 30-ish M, well, it very likely won't happen.
If you expect a 4th attacker who can maybe turn into an average/good/very good and who can score a decent amount of goals for us=that is possible.

But if people are expecting new Iniestas, Xavis and Etoos in each of new signings, I am quite sure that you will be very, very disappointed in 2 years time when we'll buy a new set of 5 "new attempts".

Lol Neymar is already worldclass and already a top 5/10 player in the world not a prospect or an " attempt"
:facepalm:

BBZ8800

Lol Neymar is already worldclass and already a top 5/10 player in the world not a prospect or an " attempt"
:facepalm:

Neymar is an attempt to be our leader, the next Messi/Ronaldinho.
Other players are attempts to be long term starters.

BBZ8800

Stop instigating people , he won't be and no one expects him to be the next Messi .

It is not about Neymar, but about any player in a team like Barca, Real, Bayern.
Barca is a top team and a huge business.
We need trophies all the time, we can't wait any player for too long.

The same as with La Masia kids, our signings will also get some amount of chances to prove their worth.
Of course, a 30-50M signing will surely get more chances than Grimaldo, Adama and Palencia, but the point is the same.

If you are a La Masia kid with high potential=you will get chances here.
If you won't impress, you will get new chances ONLY if staff rate you as the next Iniesta or something.
Also, you can get another chance if you totally impress on loans.
If you won't impress neither in Barca nor on loans, that's it son, we will move to 5 new potentials at your position in the next summer.

The same is with Paco, Denis, Gomes, Digne and other guys.
We paid them a lot, so they will get more chances than an average La Masia kid, but the principle is the same.
If you'll impress right away=you'll surely stay.
If you'll be meh in a first season=you'll get one more (or 2) chances (seasons)
If you impress then=good, you'll stay
If you'll still be meh=that's usually it, son. We will move to new 5 players in that summer.

In that sense, it is way too romantic to expect that Mats, Denis, Paco, xx, yy will be here even in 5 years, and not to mention 10 years.
From any random 5 of those players (you can pick whichever 5 players), it is way more likely that only 1 (or max 2) of them will actually stay here in 5 years time than that all 5 of them will stay here (not to mention 10 years).

So, imo, we should calm down with new Iniestas and whether Paco could be the next Suarez and similar.
He could be gone by the summer of 2017, he could stay here for 3-4 years, he could be a huge hit. Who knows?

We had Xavi+Iniesta, we were blessed, so we didn't need to experiment with hit and miss attempts like all other big teams.
But now when Xavi+Iniesta will be gone, we will play a usual hit and miss transfer saga every summer.

For example, look what Real (who didn't have Xavi+Iniesta) had to do in this hit and miss play in a last couple of years, to finally find 2-3 good midfielders who fit their style:
Real 2009-2010: Gago, Mahamadou Diarra, Lass Diarra, Kaka, Guti, Xabi Alonso, Van Der Vaart
Real 2010: In: Ozil, Khedira, Granero
Real 2011: In: Sahin, Altintop
Real 2012: In: Modric, Essien, Casemiro
Real 2013: In: Isco, Illaramendi
Real 2014: In: Kroos, James, Lucas Silva
Real 2015: In: Kovacic

In 8 Seasons, they had 21 different midfielders. In 2011, some of their fans probably thought: oh, we bought awesome long-term replacements in our team, since we have a few awesome and young midfielders in Ozil, Khedira, Granero, Sahin, (ok, Altintop is not young).
We are stacked now for 5-10 years, woohoo!
Fast forward 5 years, NONE of them is in the club anymore.

We were "blessed" with Xavi-Iniesta (and Busi) and we didn't need to go through this hell in the last 10 years.
But now we'll do that crap more or less every summer, the same as all top clubs.
Also, we have been doing it always back in 90s and 00s, before Xavi-Iniesta-Busi lucky era.

I would compare Paco/Digne/Denis/Gomes/Umtiti with Tello/Adama/Munir/Sandro/Halilovic/Dongou/Deulofeu from a few years ago.
People thought that our Cf options are secured, while in reality, if 1 of those guys will make it=we should be extremely happy.
2 of them making it, would be a miracle.

My point: people, don't be too romantic and emotional and expect that majority of current players will stay here for 10 years.
Majority will be gone in 1-2-3-4-5 years.
And knowing our needs and requirements, it is very likely that we will buy 15-20 expensive new players in the next 5 seasons and we will promote 5+ new La Masia youngsters till then.
So, when you sum current 22 players plus 15-20 new players and 5+ La Masia kids (with the highest potential, like Adama, Samper etc), then the chances are significantly dropping that ALL current players will be new Iniesta (Denis), new Suarez (Paco), new xx (Gomes), new Valdes (Mats) etc.

So, I think that my wording about majority of guys as "just attempts" is not that far off.

Home of Barca Fans