Memphis Depay

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
No it's not moronic.
Depay at Barcelona would either be the 4th or 5th best playmaker, or a very bad Braithwaite type player if he tried to play a bit like that.
What's moronic is taking his stats from playing as the star of a team hoping to go through qual rounds to reach CL, and saying that he'll perform well in Barcelona.

If there is something in his game showing he'll be good at Barcelona, it should be explained. "Being an upgrade" is not saying anything.

Nah, what is moronic is comparing pass completion percentages of players from different teams, playing in different leagues and fulfilling different roles.

Your argument about being 4th-5th best playmaker at Barca is entirely arbitrary as well. Who are the players better than him at playing the final pass in our squad bar Messi? I can only think of Messi and Ansu (arguably) if fit. Depay can also dribble 1v1, averaging 2 dribbles per game. Can shoot with left and right foot. Lack of pace is a concern but he won't be as useless at running at defense as Griezmann is.

Let's just wait until the man plays his first 5-10 games here. I think he will be reasonably good.

Last edited:

Bobo32

Nah, what is moronic is comparing pass completion percentages of players from different teams, playing in different leagues and fulfilling different roles.

Your argument about being 4th-5th best playmaker at Barca is entirely arbitary as well. Who are the players better than him at playing the final pass in our squad bar Messi? I can only think of Messi and Ansu (arguably) if fit. Depay can also dribble 1v1, averaging 2 dribbles per game. Can shoot with left and right foot. Lack of pace is a concern but he won't be as useless at running at defense as Griezmann is.

Let's just wait until the man plays his first 5-10 games here. I think he will be reasonably good.

I have already explained this when another user said the same. The pass completion thing is in relation to his assists, that are brought up as evidence of how great a passer he is.
Any player playing the Messi role will get a few assists. Accepting 70% demands some end product. His succes rate is about the same with his shots and dribbles btw, attempts a lot and fails mostly.
I don't think any team can afford two players playing like that (Messi succeeds much more), and Barcelona have Dembele as well...

All Barcelona midfielders are better passers, although not looking for the final ball as often. I'm sure Busquets in these last few weeks has played more and better passes than Depay did in his carreer.
Pedri is better than Depay, Coutinho too. Tell these players that they can play with a fail rate of 70% and they'll create much more, but their team would be worse for it.

Barcelona are especially tender for these players attempting a lot, as they should be offensively balanced, and are pretty slow in defence.

Porque

Put on my blue suede shoes
And I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the pouring rain
W.C. Handy
Won't you look down over me
Yeah, I got a first class ticket
But I'm as blue as a boy can be
Then I'm walking in Memphis
Was walking with my feet, ten feet off of Beale
Walking in Memphis
But do I really feel the way I feel

Bobo32

2 assists today, crazy second one.

Put on the game just now, they were losing 2-3 and got a typical cross free kick with one minute to go. Depay zoomed in with a worried face before taking the free kick, what will he do? An attempt at a passing variant! But his pass was pathetically weighed and went out for a goal kick, nowhere near its target...

"Depays final game with Lyon is not going to be the masterpiece he hoped for" says the commentator as Depay moans in a very unsympathetic way towards the referee...
I don't know, maybe he played well. I see he had 70% pass completion today

Lyon ended up 4th in the league, looks as if they only needed to draw today to place 3rd...

edit: and now I saw that 2nd assist, well it was ok I guess. Dribbled and found a little horizontal chip for a header

Last edited:

HanDW

Can you be more opportunistic than this ?, have some shame :lol:

Anyway, he was very good in the first half, but Lyon imploded after the keeper howler in the second goal, doesnt help the coach just pulled a Koeman subbing off every midfielder out to get attackers for no reason with like 30min left.

Bobo32

Can you be more opportunistic than this ?, have some shame :lol:

Anyway, he was very good in the first half, but Lyon imploded after the keeper howler in the second goal, doesnt help the coach just pulled a Koeman subbing off every midfielder out to get attackers for no reason with like 30min left.

I was open I didn't watch the game, but this was my impression from the minute I saw.
Maybe he was great and maybe he will be a great addition to Barcelona, and Koeman will turn everything around next season :)
I will stay on this forum to see if the same people wanting him in now will be quick to criticize him later...

Devils

E17EhAfXoAMmDFJ

Stunning numbers.

Devils

With bums like Garcia and Aguero coming here, hope that our star signing, Memphis Depay, saves this club!

vuji_31

Atleast he is strong and can keep the ball turned with his back to goal. Thats big upgrade to our current worst attack ever .

Birdy

Great signing.
With him, we can definitively sell Griezman.

Still, we need wingers.
He is not a winger, even if he starts nominally out wide

JamDav1982

Depay is a better CF than Dembele or Braithwaite and another option out wide.

Garcia is better than Mingueza.

Those signings improve the squad for now and allows for sale of others.

Home of Barca Fans