Memphis Depay

mc_lovin

42,9% (worst in the team after Coutinho, who only have 1/4 but who might go ahead with more minutes)

pass percentage: 74,5% (worst in the squad by A LOT)
shots on target: 60% (actually good, but many of them didn't only find the target but the keepers chest...)
goal per shot: 10% (on the other hand, here he is worst in the team again)

Who are your preferred forwards? You don't seem too high on Fati either... guys like Olmo?

Bobo32

Who are your preferred forwards? You don't seem too high on Fati either... guys like Olmo?

Fati has been very good most of the time, and his style was a very good fit especially with Messi still there, but the hype is a bit off at the moment I think.

I sketched something up in another thread the other day, but forgot Fati then: Pedri-Depay-Gavi. I'd really enjoy switching Depay for Fati there, but otherwis he could take Pedris role.
Generally, I don't think in that way though about the best 11, they should rotate and switch depending on game plan, opponent, etc. Braithwaite and Luuk de Jong can sometimes be useful with everyone fit, too. Even Depay and Dembele too! Aguero should get some minutes... There is a lot of potential quality in the squad, but I don't really like Depay or Dembele I have to say. Olmo would be a good Depay type player for Barcelona I think (meaning, a player that forces things, tries to shoot etc)

khaled_a_d

One of their best abilities apart from their chemistry with each other is that both Memphis and Ansu are comfortable at both LW and CF. This enables them to comfortably interchange between these 2 positions. That will be a pain in the ass for defenders.

Not only comfortable, they actually operates the best when they move between both positions.
Koeman idea early in the season was for all forwards to exchange positions regularly (Depay, Griez & Braithwaite) and Depay played his best in the 1st 3 games when he wasn't pinned in one position.

Bobo32

Not only comfortable, they actually operates the best when they move between both positions.
Koeman idea early in the season was for all forwards to exchange positions regularly (Depay, Griez & Braithwaite) and Depay played his best in the 1st 3 games when he wasn't pinned in one position.

It looked very interesting last season when Messi, Fully Fit Fati and Coutinho still on a german diet got to switch freely between positions - for a couple of games, and then sporadically.
Koeman might test this again now but with worse players, I don't believe it will be good in the long run.
The key to the good performance yesterday imo was the la masia midfield+central defenders

Porque

Thank god we got this guy. He is a top player but not the elite echelon of attackers, but exactly what we needed to add at this time.

So far we have seen his inconsistencies, but we have to remember that so far his frontline companions have been worse than he had last season with Lyon. Food for thought.

Anyways, he reminds of me of Alexis type player, who is right now at the top of his game and enabled to impose it because he is not surrounded be bigger talents like when he was in Chile and moved to Arsenal.

In an ideal world he could co-exist with Messi (or another primary attacker) and be that second option wild card.

But for what it is, and where we are, I couldn't be happier that both he and Koeman insisted on pushing this deal through. I can't imagine where we would be if we lost Depay like Wijnaldum through stalling the completion of the deal- while being stuck with the eternal enigma Aguero (who may come through as a great bench option post injuries, but won't be reliable at his age).

Oh, and looking forward to seeing Ansu and Depay rotating between the CF and AML together. They seemed to have built a good bond off the pitch which I am sure will show on it.

SmilerBam

42,9% (worst in the team after Coutinho, who only have 1/4 but who might go ahead with more minutes)

shots on target: 60% (actually good, but many of them didn't only find the target but the keepers chest...)

So in a word, wasteful. Yes, he can dribble spectacularly, but that happens rarely, 'cause he has no pace. Yes, sometimes he can score a worldie, but he is very inconsistent in front of goal, missing easy chances. As i've said, he is a good player, but it's a reason only us wanted him this summer.

Birdy

Perfect example of how to lie with stats...
Every percent w/o the number accompanying it is rather a good tactic to fuzz things a bit in order to slide in a view

-> 42.9 dribble completion OK.
You have to NECESSARILY cite that this happens when he attempts 4.0 dribbles/per 90 min, which is a quite high number for one to take into account before assessing the completion rate
Only Dest and Demir attempt more dribbles per 90 min.

-> Goals per shot: Why is that stat significant? Explain.
(By the way half the squad has 0 goals/shot so he is better than them at least)

the Stat that reflects his conversion rate is the npG/npxG where he has 2/2.4 -> could have been better, but not terrible

-> A stat that you missed on purpose:
He has 4.29 SCA (Shot-creating actions) per 90 min and 0.86 GCA (Goal-creating actions) per 90 min
higher in both categories than all squad players that have played more than 90 min in total thus far

PS: Let alone the most important stat to show his importance: the xT
which I haven't found yet for all 6 games

Last edited:

Bobo32

Perfect example of how to lie with stats...
Every percent w/o the number accompanying it is rather a good tactic to fuzz things a bit in order to slide in a view

-> 42.9 dribble completion OK.
You have to NECESSARILY cite that this happens when he attempts 4.0 dribbles/per 90 min, which is a quite high number for one to take into account before assessing the completion rate
Only Dest and Demir attempt more dribbles per 90 min.

-> Goals per shot: Why is that stat significant? Explain.
(By the way half the squad has 0 goals/shot so he is better than them at least)

the Stat that reflects his conversion rate is the npG/npxG where he has 2/2.4 -> could have been better, but not terrible

-> A stat that you missed on purpose:
He has 4.29 SCA (Shot-creating actions) per 90 min and 0.86 GCA (Goal-creating actions) per 90 min
higher in both categories than all squad players that have played more than 90 min in total thus far

PS: Let alone the most important stat to show his importance: the xT
which I haven't found yet for all 6 games
You are the one who can't judge the stats.

He dribbles, shoots and tries difficult or strange passes a lot, no one believes otherwise. These are his success rates. Of course he will also be high in absolute numbers in for example these stats lik SCA and GCA.
Braithwaite and Sergi Roberto have in this moment as many assists and non-penalty goals as Depay, despite playing less than half of his minutes, and without being even close to the low success rates of Depay.

Whenever Depay shoots, another player doesn't get the chance to shoot.

ajnotkeith

You are the one who can't judge the stats.

He dribbles, shoots and tries difficult or strange passes a lot, no one believes otherwise. These are his success rates. Of course he will also be high in absolute numbers in for example these stats lik SCA and GCA.
Braithwaite and Sergi Roberto have in this moment as many assists and non-penalty goals as Depay, despite playing less than half of his minutes, and without being even close to the low success rates of Depay.

Whenever Depay shoots, another player doesn't get the chance to shoot.

Basically he is one of the only ones in the squad with some initiative. Most of our players when they get the ball just pass it sideways or backwards and wait for someone to do something whilst they pad their pass completion rate with 5 yard backpasses.

You need players sometimes that aren't afraid to take their man on and perhaps fail sometimes, like Dest and Depay who showed their qualities against Levante.

'Whenever Depay shoots, another player doesn't get the chance to shoot' That's the problem with most of our squad. They don't take their man on or take a shot, they pass sideways to someone else and look at them to do something. Not every player should be a guy who passes it all game.

Last edited:

Bobo32

Basically he is one of the only one in the squad with some initiative. Most of our players when they get the ball just pass it sideways or backwards and wait for someone to do something whilst they pad their pass completion rate with 5 yard backpasses.

You need players sometimes that aren't afraid to take their man on and perhaps fail sometimes, like Dest and Depay who showed their qualities against Levante.

Yeah I agree.
As I've said, we are lucky that it's not Messi missing out on the ball, but Long de Jong and maybe Demir, when Depay tries to force things...
Since Messi left, Depay is sort of a good player for the team, despite his terrible success percentages. All I'm saying is you can't really compare a player playing like him to a player who is well above 80% or maybe 90% EVERY SINGLE GAME, whereas he hasn't been for one game yet. You should also demand that he scores and creates much more than a player like Braithwaite for example.

Messigician

" Depay is hurt by the news, it has always been his dream to play for Barcelona and doesn't understand why Laporta is leaking rumors to the media"

Laportameu BACK AGAIN!

Zidane82

" Depay is hurt by the news, it has always been his dream to play for Barcelona and doesn't understand why Laporta is leaking rumors to the media"

Laportameu BACK AGAIN!

I don?t think Depay is good enough to be our saviour.. and we do need a special player just to try and catch up with everyone else now .

I think we need either Cavani or Ibra just for this season ..and both would come I think

Home of Barca Fans