Mavericky Puig

Bobo32

Nah it's not about resting him obviously.
I could see Xavi choosing Sanz over Puig after the red because he thinks he is more solid. I think it was wrong and wrong in a structurally bad way - I thought Xavi would have a deeper understanding of football, but the reasoning he did looks shallow to me, and it evidently didn't work out. I'd rather he make something surprising - like making the full back mark their #10 - and fail, than fail by making the same weak, uninspired and cowardly decision that a weak and cowardly lower league manager put in his place would do trying to desperately hold on to the 1-0 lead against fucking Granada.

The midfield didn't work yesterday. Gavi was becoming more and more tired, and could've been sent off even earlier. Nico looked a bit tired, too, and he has had some pretty bad games recently and should not be untouchable. If Puig had a shocker of an half a game in the week as some think, it would be a strong managerial move to start him yesterday: it would show courage and vision, and I am sure it would've worked. Xavi hasn't made many of these kinds of decisions yet, there isn't a lot of creativity there...

I guess when Pedri and de Jong are fit too, then Nico and Gavi won't be as blindly trusted and will have to do more to play, but it isn't really great for them to have the instaspot, either.
I guess Puig is done for at Barcelona and should look for another club, if he is to stay he needs to speak to Xavi and demand a very good reason to do so.

Here are Puigs perhaps last minutes for FC Barcelona: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO-pw6NvDNg
1:16 long sequence with good movement and vision for a midfielder
3:40 also a good sequence, as is 4:00

Maybe he lost the ball once or twice more than in the video, although I don't remember anything in particular. Just so unfair!

Rory

If fans of his are correct about his ability then surely pep will be after him? After all it’s his football that he would excel in right? Unless even Pep can’t see what Puig has but man on Barca forum can.

Bobo32

If fans of his are correct about his ability then surely pep will be after him? After all it’s his football that he would excel in right? Unless even Pep can’t see what Puig has but man on Barca forum can.
https://twitter.com/cityreport_/status/1478362374503600131/photo/1

I am not sure there would be a lot of need for Puig at Man City though, they have been managed well for a long time and have a good squad with their own youngsters coming through too.
But it would be less surprising to me than to most if he ended up there. I think it is more likely than most would think, but still very improbable. I think he might have to take the long way from here...

I believe if Pep goes to another club this summer and is to build something new, Puig might very well be one he looks to bring.

JamDav1982

Apparently the young players at Barca think Puig is a bellend.

Not surprised if they can see right through his act.

Highlight of season still Puig finding camera when Xavi entered the gym on his first few days.

Priceless.

Rassvet

Apparently the young players at Barca think Puig is a bellend.

Not surprised if they can see right through his act.

Highlight of season still Puig finding camera when Xavi entered the gym on his first few days.

Priceless.

link to that vid pls

xXKonan

He's nothing more than a squad player at this point.

We have had four managers since he's been hanging around the 1st team and Xavi is no different from the likes of Valverde, Seiten and Koeman in terms of how they rate him, Seiten was a bit more generous and gave him a shot. But when you have Puig's flaws and you have other younger set of Midfielders such as Pedri, Gavi and Nico it's a pretty easy choice to make who to prioritize.

Is he really okay with sitting around being a squad player? seems so.

JamDav1982

Setien is held up a coach that rated him when Puig had two good games... and he figured out by the time CL came round. Puig got no minutes and Setien even put on Monchu ahead of him.

That is the highest any coach has rated him at first team level.

It is a bad spot having him as a squad player when that could be given to another youngster with higher potential coming through.

Those that used to argue that there is a lack of path way for young players to first team now seem to want Puig in squad even if not good enough to start. It seems last argument in favour of Puig but is nonsensical.

Squad positions are much more important than keeping for players as limited as Puig when clearly not good enough.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans