Mavericky Puig

Horatio

You're welcome
Don't think it was a question of playing Puig over Pedri, at any point. Only to rest Pedri and distribute some minutes in Puig's way.

ffs. Puig the La Masia prodigy second of coming of Joan Gamper, people only wanted to see him play to rest Pedri? Serghei pls

Last edited:

serghei

While massively over rating what Puig could do and that continuing on to this season when Pedri not even in team.

Only few weeks ago doing backflips over Laporta being able to see the talent in Puig and he deserves similar minutes to Nico and Gavi.

The whole idea the main driver was folk wanting Pedri rested is utter nonsense. It was mostly another angle to argue why Koeman should play him.

I think Nico and Gavi are better players without a doubt than Puig. So, if Puig doesn't work hard and convinces Xavi that he deserves minutes, he will be shipped out.

JamDav1982

I think Nico and Gavi are better players without a doubt than Puig. So, if Puig doesn't work hard and convinces Xavi that he deserves minutes, he will be shipped out.

Indeed as I told you and now agree.

That is fine but trying to make out that was not the debate in past is not the case.

The idea Puig is treated has flipped 180 in comparison to under Koeman. Says it all.

JamDav1982

I always rated Gavi higher the moment I saw him, Nico yes he surprises me every game, you saw it before.

Aye but still made out that Koeman was being a massive cunt to Puig as if he had played much better than had to deserve more minutes and this season.

Anyone can change mind just trying to make out it was all about Pedri is ridiculous. Folk lost their shit as they rated Puig far too highly.

Horatio

You're welcome
I always rated Gavi higher the moment I saw him. Nico yes he surprises me every game, you saw it before.

You're talking about last few months lol. Everything before that people were salivating to see him play.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

The Pedri excuse doesnt add up anyway.

Pedri probably played 90 mins in 2/3 games in league the second half of season.

Folk went nuts when it wasnt Puig coming on for him even when rested or taken off early.

Koeman just didnt trust him and was slaughtered as killing this amazing young talent with agendas.

BerkeleyBernie

Give De Jong some time. He will improve a lot if the midfield will form chemistry and will start to rack those passes with their eye closed.

What I saw with Benfica is FDJ scanning a LOT more before he gets the ball. I'd bet money that Xavi's been drilling him on that as it's the skill that set Xavi above everyone else in pitch awareness.

BerkeleyBernie

It's not rocket science. Fans love Puig because he injected some life into a lifeless Barca. Most of us want to be entertained more than we want to win (and yes, "entertainment" encompasses many different things). We are now seeing other young talents who play lively football. Puig loves 1-touch but the rest of the team isn't there at the moment. It depends on the system Xavi is building and how soon we get there. If it starts becoming more positionally fluid, we're likely to see more of Puig.

JamDav1982

Barely injected that.

Was poor more often than not and got over praised for couple games he ran about a lot and to be fair was good v Atletico which proved to be a one off and more or less an AM in that game.

Barca last season were better to watch when he was subbed off in the games he started.

iniestaGOAT

It's not rocket science. Fans love Puig because he injected some life into a lifeless Barca. Most of us want to be entertained more than we want to win (and yes, "entertainment" encompasses many different things). We are now seeing other young talents who play lively football. Puig loves 1-touch but the rest of the team isn't there at the moment. It depends on the system Xavi is building and how soon we get there. If it starts becoming more positionally fluid, we're likely to see more of Puig.

Nah, I had high hopes for him but once he started turning down loan offers knowing Koeman isnt going to play him I realized he does not care about his career, he isnt here to be great, he is just here to pass time.

xXKonan

Puig is way too chaotic in his current state and that's not going into detail about his physical limitations either.

It's gotten to a point where subbing him on as a Midfielder in a tight game will backfire as his positioning sense is just woeful leaving gaps everywhere leaving us exposed on the break. He's young but Gavi, Pedri and Nico are not only 3-5 years younger than he is but all three are superior in many ways than Puig is.

Not to say Puig is bad, he's certainly talented but when you have Gavi, Pedri and Nico it seems utterly pointless at this stage to prioritize his development when you have three teenagers who are far superior.

BerkeleyBernie

Puig is way too chaotic in his current state and that's not going into detail about his physical limitations either.

It's gotten to a point where subbing him on as a Midfielder in a tight game will backfire as his positioning sense is just woeful leaving gaps everywhere leaving us exposed on the break. He's young but Gavi, Pedri and Nico are not only 3-5 years younger than he is but all three are superior in many ways than Puig is.

Not to say Puig is bad, he's certainly talented but when you have Gavi, Pedri and Nico it seems utterly pointless at this stage to prioritize his development when you have three teenagers who are far superior.

One thing no one is taking into account yet is how Xavi will influence the development of players. I'm already seeing improvements with FDJ. As Puig has a lot of the same instincts as Xavi, I'm certain Xavi's going to be a great influence on improving him in the areas where he needs improvement.

Puig's instinct is to provide the extra man (a very Xavi-esque trait). That's great if you have a team with fluid positioning (i.e. Pep's Barca), bad if you have a fairly static formation. It really shouldn't take much Xavi instruction if he needs Puig to roam less in some circumstances and more in others.

It's waaaaaaaay too early for anyone to really know the system Xavi will build and how players will evolve into that system (or not).

behindbrowneyes

Puig is at a crossroad in his career. At this point he is more of a celebrity than a professional footballer. The coach who was said to dislike him is gone and now Xavi is there, who is playing the exact same guys that came to the surface with said coach. Pedri and Gavi have started games for the Spanish national team already. Nico is in contention for it too if he continues like that. Puig wasn't even a regular for the youth national teams. Pedri, Gavi and Nico are just better talents than him and also more focused on football.

Didn't want to write it so far but someone I know (not a friend, the classic rich kid) and follow on Instagram is doing his exchange in Barcelona. He has already posted 2 selfies with Puig and some videos too where you could see him in night clubs. And not only during international breaks. If some random guy from Austria knows, Koeman surely knew too with the network of people he has in Barcelona. And Xavi will be aware too.

Now I can understand that it is frustrating to train week after week and not playing much, but he has to make a decision if he wants to have a career as a professional. He literally hasn't played much in the last 3 seasons and if he doesn't move to a club where he gets actually enough playing time he won't progress and he'll play some years for a lower league Catalan side rather than having a career in La Liga. I'd rather take the Alena or Denis road and have a career somewhere else than not accepting the fact that I'm not good enough until it is probably too late.

Home of Barca Fans