Matthijs de Ligt

FinBarcelonafan

He is prettier Maguire. Same problem. Maybe not as bad on foot.

He won't be worth the price.

He is a decent player, but not worth anywhere close to 80 million what he will go.

Devils

Would stay clear of this one.

Astronomically expensive and never really lived up to the hype that was behind him when he was at Ajax.

I wouldn't be surprised if we sign him though seeing as Laporta and Raiola are very good pals.

Barcelona needs desperate rebuilding and Raiola has all the tools at his disposal to make it happen. Kind of like making a deal with the devil but it is what it is, dawg.

Raketa10

Just go for Joško Gvardiol instead. He would be a much cheaper player, he is left footed and probably has a higher ceiling than De Ligt.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If MDL coming means Haaland then fuck it.

Do it.

I like MDL, but been having second thoughts about his fit. No doubt about his leadership though, something the defence need.

Horatio

You're welcome
He is more than solid CB, always thought so. But issue was always hype and he will likely have crazy salary demands.
And for NT always put Van Dijk and de Vrij ahead of him(Netherlands just lucky with these 3).
He will have the occasional slip-up but still think he will improve with age. But again...Raiola might clean us out.
At the moment still a pass for me.

Also do not think he will be great fit for Barca. Turns slow.

Last edited:

fergus90

He’s been dribbled past the least out of any players that’s played at least 700 minutes in Serie A this season. Might not be at his Ajax levels but he’s certainly no slouch.

Rory

Only 22 years old still and is a good centre back. Very rare to find a centre back that is excellent or world class at that age so it's not an issue he hasn't shown such a high level, he's shown a good level and that's it. Proven in the right circumstances his level can reach excellent-world class and that was at 19.

He's also a leader, imagine having him and Araujo fighting for the team each game. Don't think we'd be able to cope with having so much determination and mental fight. Araujo, MDL, Garcia and one more and we've got a very good group of CB's. Possibly a group that can be here for a long time.

Messi983

He’s been dribbled past the least out of any players that’s played at least 700 minutes in Serie A this season. Might not be at his Ajax levels but he’s certainly no slouch.

Yes but he's surely not worth 80-100m or whatever crazy money Juve would want, is he? If available for half that price (no way) then sure, go for him but I think we should look for cheaper alternatives that won't necessarily be that much worse than he is or could be even better. There are many good young CBs available.

Would also have big wage demands. Don't know what he's currently on but even if he'd accept the same wages (probably wouldn't) Barca would have to pay him more than Juve because of higher taxes in Spain.

Andresito

Staff member
Paying 100m for a CB is crazy for Barca unless it's someone proven like VVD.

With de Ligt you're paying a premium because of his potential, not because he's top 5-10 CB's in the world. Feel like it would be a waste of money.

khaled_a_d

I think [MENTION=20930]Messi983[/MENTION] put it the best.
De Ligt is doing well and is class atm tbf, but value for money he isn't a good deal.
With financial problems and bad squad we can't afford that.

gregorrin10

None of them will come.

Or both. Think it's the case of one or the other, there won't be a between. Feel like if we're gonna want to have any chance at Haaland, we're gonna have to go all in with Raiola and get at least one or two more of his players. If it happens, hopefully we look to the defense where we actually need reinforcements. I'd take Mazraoui (who won't cost much, even in wages) and De Ligt, since we need a new CB badly, especially one like De Ligt, with elite mentality and leadership, even if he's not the quickest.

If Raiola would be content with only one other of his players, I'd take Mazraoui and get a cheaper talented CB like Gvardiol, who would be a perfect partner to Araujo, since he's also left footed, but if not, I'd still take De Ligt, who can play LCB just the same...if he didn't cost too much of course. Still better De Ligt than Pogba, who we need to steer way clear of, since we absolutely don't need/shouldn't go for him to appease Raiola enough to make the Haaland deal happen.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
No one are paying Juventus the 90-100m they'll want for him.

Not playing ball with Raiola would mean no Raiola clients to them in the future, and for a club that doesn't spend any money and want to sign Pogba next summer they should probably play ball with him.

Juventus fans can cry and bitch all they want, but most elite players or players aspiring to get to that level don't see them as a final destination.

Home of Barca Fans