Mateu Alemany

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Next step is to attract new lucrative sponsorship deals. Might be a better timing to sign them in the summer though as Barca isn't very successful currently. Qualifying for the CL next year is key in convincing "investors" that Barca is on the way back to past glory.

This is the real test for Reverter and Laporta. In the 8 months or so they have been in office, nothing other than the renewal of the Allianz, Assistencia Sanitaria and the Caixa Bank, has been accomplished. No new deals signed.

The 2 companies behind each of the 25 or so categories that want to sponsor us are all smoke.

behindbrowneyes

Half season loan, and he might return after all if they don't exercise the option to buy him.

So we save 6 months of Coutinho's salary. Good but hardly can be called a masterstroke.

Agreed.

It's not only Coutinho though. Alemany is a great negotiator and he did a good job in summer already. Offloading Griezmann, loaning Trincao, loaning Pjanic, selling Emerson are all things that were key for Barca to register new players. Might have needed Trincao and Emerson, but beggars can't be choosers and therefore we also had to get rid of some useful players. He did also well in extending Ansu's and Pedri's contract early while creating a new scheme of salaries with more performance-based parts. Nico, Gavi and Araujo seem to be next in line. I also like club's stance regarding extension cases of Ilaix and Dembele.

He is not a magician, but I doubt anyone could find a solution for "mission impossible" cases like Umtiti's unwillingness of leaving in combination with that insane Barto contract or loaning Coutinho without paying part of his salary.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Agreed.

It's not only Coutinho though. Alemany is a great negotiator and he did a good job in summer already. Offloading Griezmann, loaning Trincao, loaning Pjanic, selling Emerson are all things that were key for Barca to register new players. Might have needed Trincao and Emerson, but beggars can't be choosers and therefore we also had to get rid of some useful players. He did also well in extending Ansu's and Pedri's contract early while creating a new scheme of salaries with more performance-based parts. Nico, Gavi and Araujo seem to be next in line. I also like club's stance regarding extension cases of Ilaix and Dembele.

He is not a magician, but I doubt anyone could find a solution for "mission impossible" cases like Umtiti's unwillingness of leaving in combination with that insane Barto contract or loaning Coutinho without paying part of his salary.

Overall I think he is doing a decent job. If he can renew Gavi, Nico and Araujo I will be very happy.

behindbrowneyes

This is the real test for Reverter and Laporta. In the 8 months or so they have been in office, nothing other than the renewal of the Allianz, Assistencia Sanitaria and the Caixa Bank, has been accomplished. No new deals signed.

The 2 companies behind each of the 25 or so categories that want to sponsor us are all smoke.

Agreed again, but like I said, timing is not on their side currently. It took them half a year to get a picture of Barto's dubious deals and results of due diligence only were presented in October. Most important thing was to get deals to keep the club liquid through loans and they managed to do so on quite favourable terms taking club's finances into consideration.

We all know that Laporta likes to talk. We'll never know if the numbers are correct, but we'll have also to keep in mind that even if there are numerous offers they might think that we can do better and it is definitely not the time to sell the club expensive atm. Those deals are usually for more than 1 year and signing a decent one now might block us from signing a much better one in summer or so.

Birdy

That's the good thing about Laporta though. He has loads of contacts, knows many influential people and has an eye for the right people. And very often he can attract them to join forces with him. The key is keeping those people at the club like seen with Txiki Begiristain and Ferran Soriano. Everything was great at Barca as long they were here, but things got worse when they left. Look what they've done with City since.

Getting Reverter was another masterstroke by Laporta, but we'll only see the positive results in a few years, not right away.

Next step is to attract new lucrative sponsorship deals. Might be a better timing to sign them in the summer though as Barca isn't very successful currently. Qualifying for the CL next year is key in convincing "investors" that Barca is on the way back to past glory.

Allemany is the perfect CEO or technical director so far.

But we need a Spoting Director as well. Planes, who did a good job, left, and I am not happy with the position left vacant or
the supposed rumour of Xavi doing 'double-duty' there (that's terrible)
There are good names out there.
Mark Overmars or Michael Edwards top of the list

behindbrowneyes

But we need a Spoting Director as well. Planes, who did a good job, left, and I am not happy with the position left vacant or

Alemany's position is similar to the one Marc Overmars is covering at Ajax. I doubt Overmars would like to make a step down and be "just" sporting director at Barca. Michael Edwards seems to be Madrid-bound.

Also, looking at the fluctuation rate of sporting directors in club's recent history gives me the vibe that there might be something "off" with this position. If I have to guess as an outsider, I'd say it looks like a clash of power between different positions in the sporting area. Too many cooks spoil the broth is pretty much the conclusion if you look at the squad. Planes deciding to leave after extending his contract under the new board is another proof for the theory of a clash of interests/power within.

The more important thing than a sporting director is to have a clear idea and an agreement between Alemany and Xavi about the sporting direction/way of playing/targeted characteristics of new players. Everything else should be done by scouts. Having a sporting director means Alemany, Xavi and Mr. X have to agree on the player which makes it even harder to find a solution.

Birdy

Alemany's position is similar to the one Marc Overmars is covering at Ajax. I doubt Overmars would like to make a step down and be "just" sporting director at Barca. Michael Edwards seems to be Madrid-bound.

Also, looking at the fluctuation rate of sporting directors in club's recent history gives me the vibe that there might be something "off" with this position. If I have to guess as an outsider, I'd say it looks like a clash of power between different positions in the sporting area. Too many cooks spoil the broth is pretty much the conclusion if you look at the squad. Planes deciding to leave after extending his contract under the new board is another proof for the theory of a clash of interests/power within.

The more important thing than a sporting director is to have a clear idea and an agreement between Alemany and Xavi about the sporting direction/way of playing/targeted characteristics of new players. Everything else should be done by scouts. Having a sporting director means Alemany, Xavi and Mr. X have to agree on the player which makes it even harder to find a solution.

Yes, more would need to agree, but that is a good thing.
The more decision-making is allocated and delegated to more people, the more balanced the approach is.
Think of the 1-man presidential or autocratic model that clubs have suffered in the past, where president was deciding for everything.

Of course, you would also need the right structure, and have the people with the right expertise at the relevant positions.

There is still a gap left at Barca: Allemany leads the negotiations, he is working on contracts and finances of the club.
But we need someone to take care of the sporting side, which is traditionally the job of the SD
Xavi is the coach, and should remain the coach focused on how team plays.
Of course, he has to agree on X player to be bought, but there is a whole domain there stretching from early scouting of players (Analytics? What's going on there at Barca?) to devising strategic sporting direction of the club

gregorrin10

We can't register him yet, not with the wage room that Coutinho freed up. More needs to be done.

Again it is good but not great as some have lauded.

We'll probably renew Roberto and then have enough to register Ferran. But hopefully we reduce Roberto's salary massively, he doesn't deserve to be on more than 2M/per year or something like that, even more now that he's 30 and will be strictly a squad player from now on (hopefully at least). The main thing is that we're not relying on Dembele or Umtiti to give us that space in the wage budget anymore, since nothing will change with those leeches anyway. Time to take the L and let them both go in the summer (terminate Umtiti's last year of contract and pay him out).

Windhook

The Rakuten and Beko deals end this summer. There is still time and negotiations, I can imagine, aren't easy as they were during Barto's Hollywood MSN days. The club is still popular as ever, but sponsors wouldn't be willing to pay the amount our former partners paid, especially as we are now out of the Champions League and our next season participation is hanging in the air.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The Rakuten and Beko deals end this summer. There is still time and negotiations, I can imagine, aren't easy as they were during Barto's Hollywood MSN days. The club is still popular as ever, but sponsors wouldn't be willing to pay the amount our former partners paid, especially as we are now out of the Champions League and our next season participation is hanging in the air.

Yeah, I think behindbrowneyes had a good point, they probably don't want to sell us too short right now and prefer to wait, however I don't know if we can wait that long when we badly need all the money we can get.

Rakuten is rumored to be still somewhat in the mix, potentially extending the deal but I highly doubt those cheap bastards will fork up the money to do so. Beko will definitely end, we have already got Socios.com as our sleeve sponsor starting next season but hasn't been officially announced yet.

khaled_a_d

Alemany is doing good job so far, he's dealing quick, not waiting until midnight of January 31 deals to happen. But the question in my head is why these transfers didn't happen in the summer?

Because Coutinho was injured? Why would any club sign him when he wasn't fit yet?

khaled_a_d

I would have loved Edwards, but tbf the man had a great element of luck in having Klopp on his side before he was named SD. Also different systems and xountry etc, he isn't a slam dunk.
Doubt Alemany will be working on his own, the club probably has other type of "Planas" working in the shadows that we don't know about.
That was always his type of work even before Barca, doubt Xavi is taking over tbh.
I think his remarks toward Morata was clear sign of it.

Home of Barca Fans