Martin Montoya

mazp

A contract renewal of right back Martin Montoya (22), whose contract expires in June, seems difficult at this moment. [mundo deportivo]

If he doesnt renew, another rb, or a lb will need to be signed...

Fine by me. He just hasn't done enough to make us forget about Dani Alves or be his successor.

Howes

Taken from The Guardian

Liverpool have opened talks with Barcelona over the possible transfer of the defender Martín Montoya in January.

The Spain Under-21 international, who can operate in both full-back positions, is out of contract at the end of this season and his availability has alerted leading clubs throughout Europe. The 22-year-old and his agent have both claimed recently that he hopes to sign a contract extension with the Spanish champions but Liverpool are exploring the prospect of a permanent deal in January.

Montoya's opportunities have been restricted at Camp Nou by the excellence of the right-back Dani Alves but talks have taken place over a contract renewal. That has not deterred Liverpool, however, and their managing director, Ian Ayre, met Barcelona officials in Catalunya on Thursday to discuss a possible transfer fee.

Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, is keen to strengthen competition at full-back despite signing Aly Cissokho on loan in August and Jon Flanagan's impressive performance on the left at Everton on Saturday.

mazp

It's not about selling him. It's about Montoya already making up his mind. If we sell in Jan, I can see the club going for Nacho Monreal who apparently wants to leave Arsenal.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Letting him go would be incredibly stupid.

It's been a series of stupid moves and miscalculations by the club/board...Whereas before we welcomed the integration of youth players up to the first team along with their passion to succeed here, now you have to wonder as do the players themselves, who will want to stay or prefer a move elsewhere?

There's been a breakdown in the club structure & philosophy which is seeing an increasing number of players having their heads turned and feeling less resolute about succeeding at Barcelona

Ronnie10

It's been a series of stupid moves and miscalculations by the club/board...Whereas before we welcomed the integration of youth players up to the first team along with their passion to succeed here, now you have to wonder as do the players themselves, who will want to stay or prefer a move elsewhere?

There's been a breakdown in the club structure & philosophy which is seeing an increasing number of players having their heads turned and feeling less resolute about succeeding at Barcelona

You are just paranoid. Never before Barcelona had such large contingent of canterano in the first team. For every 2 generations if at least one player can make it, that's more than enough.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
You are just paranoid. Never before Barcelona had such large contingent of canterano in the first team. For every 2 generations if at least one player can make it, that's more than enough.

You're just delusional then...Name one player that has been promoted or featured with the 1st team in the last couple of seasons...In Pep's time, there was at least one every season

In contrast, how many cantera players who were counted on left the club during Pep's time?...And now?

Meitux

Losing him doesn't only mean that we need another RB but the most important reason is that we are again in zero point and continue with Alves meaning with 2 attacking mindedfullbacks. Montoya is the only hope for now to bring some balance there. Players like Zuniga who is mentioned or anybody like him won't help cause again we will be playing with 2 attacking fullbacks . Montoya should get much time with the hope that he can develop in a very good way to be our fullback that will stay back mostly and also won't get up when the other one attacks. Saying that i hope he doesn't leave for those reasons.

He hasn't been in amazing form recently but he showed last season that he has what it takes, despite the little playing time he got. I hope he stays.

Cule4life

The Culest

You're just delusional then...Name one player that has been promoted or featured with the 1st team in the last couple of seasons...In Pep's time, there was at least one every season

In contrast, how many cantera players who were counted on left the club during Pep's time?...And now?

Agree with you completely. One of the things which made me fall in love with this club was our youth players working hard and then getting promoted to the first team. It made me proud that we made our own super stars rather than buying them like the oil clubs. Sadly since the advent of the Rosell era this has faded. One of the joys of watching the Pep teams was the regular featuring of youngsters. I was as excited to see youngsters displaying their talent each week as Messi dominating the opposition. After the departure of Pep I keep craving the youngsters to progress but the system is so broken that its now considered normal to see us losing our top talents.

Some people keep dismissing Montoya as ordinary even after what happened with Bartra. They have forgotten his performances when he played against Madrid when Dani was injured. He's not given enough chances to showcase his talent. He only plays when others are injured. He looks like a player who knows his time is up at Barca and the passion is missing which he showed against Madrid.

serghei

But there is a difference in quality between... say... Busquets circa '08 and the catera players from today. In the end, it's not about forcing cantera players in the first team if they are not good enough, it's about players who have what it takes or don't. Simple as that. I choose to think that, if we don't promote new, young players atm, it's because they are not ready. Barcelona cannot afford experiments, like taking a so-so player from the B group and make him better by playing him in the first team. No, IMO you take an already amazing and accomplished youngster and shape him into a world class player. We're not Arsenal, we don't raise players in the first team at the expense of trophies.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans