Marquinhos

SeloBarca

Yea we need a WC CB aswell, the defence wont be MUCH stronger with Marquinhos, isnt he shorter then Masch and Bartra even?

Yea we need a WC CB aswell, the defence wont be MUCH stronger with Marquinhos, isnt he shorter then Masch and Bartra even?

He's 1.83. The same height as Thiago Silva. Besides, height doesn't matter THAT much, Puyol is 1.78 and a beast in the air, while Pique is 1.93 and sucks in the air.

I do agree that Marquinhos wouldn't be the best choice as the starting CB though. He'd be a good buy for depth, but not as the starting CB.

SeloBarca

We do lack in lenght though. Most of the goals against us are on corners or freekicks and lost duels in air. Every time theres a corner against us, its like 50/50, more so against English and German teams.

I would like to see someone like Hummels, that is 1,92, that would make a big differance. As it is now, the only 2 that can defend us on corners are Valdes, Pique and Busquetes. And one of them have been crap in positioning this year

Puyol is Puyol, hes not human, so cant compare with him

Andrew M

I would agree with darthvader that height is not always essential when it comes to defending high balls.

Fabio Cannavaro was short and he could jump!!

DucdeOrléans

I feel like Marquinhos is a bit too young to be depended upon. He is younger than Bartra and we only seemed to trust him when the situation was forced on us.

Exactly my thought. But on the other hand he is a really impressive prospect. He has been a stable performer for a Roma team that have performed extremely badly defensively. So he has been tested more than once to put it mildly.

Silva or Hummels would be much safer bets though. Although I would have nothing against us buying Marquinhos this summer and loaning him out to Roma for 1-2 seasons. But that is very unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

Andrew M

Exactly my thought. But on the other hand he is a really impressive prospect. He has been a stable performer for a Roma team that have performed extremely badly defensively. So he has been tested more than once to put it mildly.

Silva or Hummels would be much safer bets though. Although I would have nothing against us buying Marquinhos this summer and loaning out to Roman for 1-2 seasons. But that is very doubtful to happen.

If we look at Varane, he had last year to settle in and become a fine player this season. We are bound to have to trust our new CB in a big game as we always seem to have injuries in defence. I am open to Marq and another, but not Marq on his own.

DucdeOrléans

If we look at Varane, he had last year to settle in and become a fine player this season. We are bound to have to trust our new CB in a big game as we always seem to have injuries in defence. I am open to Marq and another, but not Marq on his own.

Well, I would gladly take Marquinhos too. I just try to keep it realistic since I really doubt that we will sign him AND another defender - probably either Hummels or Thiago. That would also be a bit overkill given that we already have Piqué, Mascherano and Puyol - although a aging Puyol. Not to mention Bartra.

The new signing will probably be a starter next to Piqué anyway.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
If Neymar is deadset on coming in 2014 instead of this summer, then I'm willing to bet that the club will get a starting CB+Marquinhos

Marquinhos has been better than David Luiz and Dede this season, but has yet to receive a cap for the senior squad. He needs more experience for matches like El Clasico etc.

Doobs

The Messiah
He's got mad pace, perfect for our high line. I seriously wish we get two Cb's with him being one of them. A Classico with him vs Varane will be epic.

Co0ter

The kids pretty great. Roma's defense was shite most of the season, at 18 years old he was always the best performer and made the best of it. That shows a lot about his character, just 18 years old.

He just turned 19. At this point I'd rather start him than any other CB on our roster at the moment....if him and Pique are both in form that could be a great partnership.

His speed is fantastic, and he reads the game fairly well for his age. Apparently Roma denied giving him a better contract, we could possibly get him pretty cheap. Hummels is too slow and I don't think PSG will let Silva go unless he tries to force himself out and I don't think he's the type.

Home of Barca Fans