Luka Modric

Temptation

That's the case with any midfielder though.

Xavi Iniesta Modric just played for stronger and more cohesive units in a weaker league(top heavy af).

No one cares if the CM ghosted in a 5 nil win at Getafe in a league game mid season. All bright and sunny, everyone's fantastic, let's move on to the next game!

Temptation

That's why Forwards are costlier, better paid and bigger stars than midfielders generally.

Way more scrutiny. Forwards are answerable all the time in statistical ways that the mids aren't.

Even in big games, if a mid misplaces a pass, no one remembers or cares. No time to. Games moves to the next phase of play.

If a forward misses a chance in such a game, every man and their dog remembers it for years. The toughest thing in the game is to put the ball in the back of the net.

Best Forward>Best Mid Def GK.

Very rarely Best Mid >Best Forward. Zidane used to be that rare case.

KingLeo10

ZZ was quite good at big time penalties too.

WC final 06
WC semis 06
Golden Goal Euro 00 semis

Agree that he didn't give it his all day in, day out but he made it count for the big games

jamrock

100% something to be said about players than can step up when it matters most, which is why players like Eto'o are just so wonderful for me.

Zidane is definitely top 15-20 of all time. Closed to top 15, but their also something to be said above players that do both,who are game in game out consistent but also deliver when it matters most, those are the players that are top 5-10 for me.

I struggle to remember many meh games for Luka, not that obviously they don't exist, but damn near every time I see the man play he delivers.

Windhook

Luka was under huge criticism in his first season for Real Madrid. I remember (correct me if I'm wrong) he was being called a transfer flop by one of the big sports newspapers in Madrid.

jamrock

Luka was under huge criticism in his first season for Real Madrid. I remember (correct me if I'm wrong) he was being called a transfer flop by one of the big sports newspapers in Madrid.

Yea he struggled to adapt in his first year indeed, some where thinking he's a bust, buy that happens to most players, the most important year for most players is always year 2 onwards.

Windhook

Yea he struggled to adapt in his first year indeed, some where thinking he's a bust, buy that happens to most players, the most important year for most players is always year 2 onwards.

Also I believe it was under Jose Mourinho's last season at Real Madrid, when the atmosphere got toxic in the dressing room. Iker Casillas being amigos with Barca players and such.

Kul_z

I think marca did that, him and alex song were worst la liga signings of the year. Lmao. One is 35 years old former barcelona player who plays in somalia or djibouti whatever, the other is 37 years young crucial real madrid player still. Like, barcelona failed on so many levels man.

Science Kid

At this point, choosing between Modric, Zidane, Xavi and Iniesta is like choosing a favorite ninja turtle, it's a matter of preference. All four are/were absolutely incredible players. As far as i'm concerned it's completely unnecessary to pick one for the sake of conversation. I'm glad i'm old enough to have enjoyed all of their primes.

Science Kid

Modric has 5 CLs, 1 WC final (w/Croatia), and 1 WC SF (so far)

Xavi-Iniesta had each other and have 4 CLs, 1 WC, 2 Euro Cups.

Zidane has 1 WC, 1 WC final, 1 Euro Cup, 1 CL

Rijkaard has 1 Euro Cup and 3 CLs

Matthaus has 1 WC, 1 Euro Cup, 1 WC final

Xavi/Iniesta kill the others on league titles but they also had a GOAT in Messi for those lol. I don't think you can keep Modric off this table anymore. Among these, it comes down to preferences really

Like i wrote in my previous post, i don't rank them and equally rate them on the highest level of greatness.

But simply naming titles won without context is certainly not the way to do it. Xavi might have 4 CL on paper but he was a complete non-factor in 2006 and 2015. Iniesta was a sub in 2006, a starter and main contributor in the other 3. Luka was Real's main man in midfield in all five CL wins, started all five and won all five finals.

He has had an inarguably greater CL career than all of them, especially Zidane.

JohnN

Like i wrote in my previous post, i don't rank them and equally rate them on the highest level of greatness.

But simply naming titles won without context is certainly not the way to do it. Xavi might have 4 CL on paper but he was a complete non-factor in 2006 and 2015. Iniesta was a sub in 2006, a starter and main contributor in the other 3. Luka was Real's main man in midfield in all five CL wins, started all five and won all five finals.

He has had an inarguably greater CL career than all of them, especially Zidane.

But Xavi and Iniesta were part of the greatest team ever, in one of the most competitive eras and leagues ever.
It really is a matter of preference for someone to seperate them.

Science Kid

But Xavi and Iniesta were part of the greatest team ever, in one of the most competitive eras and leagues ever.
It really is a matter of preference for someone to seperate them.

Absolutely and i completely agree, i just wrote my comment because simply naming the titles they have won is half the story.

At the end of the day, i enjoy watching midfield maestros the most and between Iniesta, Xavi and Modric, i've seen enough magic for a lifetime.

Home of Barca Fans