Luka Modric

mc_lovin

Xavi and Iniesta both have vastly more titles. I don't think longevity trumps that. Also Iniesta was insanely gifted on the ball (only Zidane was comparable, really).

Shame on me for taking the bait though.

Temptation

Modric has shown much better adaptability throughout his career even in less than optimal conditions.

Didn't have the luxury of an era-defining National Team either but look what he did with Croatia!

Xavi and Iniesta weren't considered World Class pre Pep(let alone legendary) and are players exceptional at a specific style.

Modric's peak was epic too winning the best player in the WC and numerous CLs on the trot.

Defensively(a huge part of being a mid who isn't a number 10) and physically, Modric is miles ahead of both.

KingLeo10

Xavi and Iniesta both have vastly more titles. I don't think longevity trumps that. Also Iniesta was insanely gifted on the ball (only Zidane was comparable, really).

Shame on me for taking the bait though.

Modric has 5 CLs, 1 WC final (w/Croatia), and 1 WC SF (so far)

Xavi-Iniesta had each other and have 4 CLs, 1 WC, 2 Euro Cups.

Zidane has 1 WC, 1 WC final, 1 Euro Cup, 1 CL

Rijkaard has 1 Euro Cup and 3 CLs

Matthaus has 1 WC, 1 Euro Cup, 1 WC final

Xavi/Iniesta kill the others on league titles but they also had a GOAT in Messi for those lol. I don't think you can keep Modric off this table anymore. Among these, it comes down to preferences really

KingLeo10

Modric has shown much better adaptability throughout his career even in less than optimal conditions.

Didn't have the luxury of an era-defining National Team either but look what he did with Croatia!

Xavi and Iniesta weren't considered World Class pre Pep(let alone legendary) and are players exceptional at a specific style.

Modric's peak was epic too winning the best player in the WC and numerous CLs on the trot.

Defensively(a huge part of being a mid who isn't a number 10) and physically, Modric is miles ahead of both.

Xavi was the best midfielder at Euro 08 and in the world before Pep took over lol. It just so happened that Xavi's final gear up and Pep coming onboard coincided time wise.

jamrock

Modric is at the table, better no but at the table.

Get zidane off it though, all those guys were vastly more consistent than zidane it's not even close.

The dogma around zidane goal in the WC final & CL final drives me crazy, I've seen so many games where he just did nothing

Likes of modric,Xavi, iniesta didn't take off days.

Temptation

The Iniesta "gifted on the ball" Schick is so revisionist and overused. Yes he was but let's not pretend these other lads weren't. All of these are. Infact I'd say Xavi was more gifted in how he controlled games for fun in his peak and tempered pressure from the opposition. Xavi had fantastic end product for a CM who played much deeper than Iniesta too. Iniesta had them moments which looked easy on the eye and caught casuals' attention more.

Xavi was the best midfielder at Euro 08 and in the world before Pep took over lol. It just so happened that Xavi's final gear up and Pep coming onboard coincided time wise.

Wasn't considered consistently and surely World Class before the Euros though, was he?

And I'm a big admirer of Xavi(The player mind you).

Temptation

Modric is at the table, better no but at the table.

Get zidane off it though, all those guys were vastly more consistent than zidane it's not even close.

The dogma around zidane goal in the WC final & CL final drives me crazy, I've seen so many games where he just did nothing

Likes of modric,Xavi, iniesta didn't take off days.

Zidane was more talismanic and more of a main man than all of them which is why he's rated higher.

While these 3 were more of second/third fiddles in a team in general. Zidane was the guy in any of his teams. Even in the superstar filled galactico side.

Radiated big player aura, gravitas and Stardust none of these did.

Temptation

If I have a very well oiled machine filled with superstars like Messi, I'll get these 3 players in my midfield to win the battle at the middle of the park.

If I make a team from scratch, have no Messis and need a main guy, I'll close my eyes and take Zidane anyday of the week. Zidane would be the star and I'd build the entire team around him unlike the other 3.

jamrock

The talisman for the galatico team that won, 1 CL & 1 league title for all their talent.

Seen so many games for zidane at real Madrid where I was like my dude is skilled af, but at the end of the game it had no impact on the result.

Home of Barca Fans