Luka Modric

Andresito

Staff member
Cesc came in 2011 though, a year before Madric bought Modric. In the mercato Madrid bought Modric, Barca bought Alex "Tchakap" Song :lol: a perfect illustration of our transfer policies

Not defending the Song signing, but they are different type of players. Could be that it was deemed we had enough offensive players like Modric.

Birdy

Cesc did not fit. It was eviden already since 2nd half of 11/12.

Thiago is indeed another crime of Rossell-Bartomeu management.

Still Modric is a couple of levels above Thiago.

Bobo32

Not defending the Song signing, but they are different type of players. Could be that it was deemed we had enough offensive players like Modric.

Don't think I ever saw as much contrast between the primary and secondary choice for a position in a footballing team as between Busquets and Song. Cuenca replacing Messi was less of a difference...

IIRC there was some talk about Song competing to start back then on forums and so on!

Bobo32

Song was brought to be a CB, not Busi's replacement tbh. :lol:

He was brought to lift trophies!
Nah he played both positions, I don't remember him pinpointed for CB. Looking at it, it was Keita who left that year, not a CDM but not a CB either...

Andresito

Staff member
People were jizzing over Song's assists to RvP. We were getting prime Yaya Toure with that signing. Instead, we bought the world's best marketer. #tchakap

Andresito

Staff member
He's still very mobile which is why he's still world class at 35. Shows no signs of slowing down, other than looking tired. Understandable though as he's both Croatia's and Madrid's best midfielder when in form, which he has been.

Morten

He's still very mobile which is why he's still world class at 35. Shows no signs of slowing down, other than looking tired. Understandable though as he's both Croatia's and Madrid's best midfielder when in form, which he has been.

He is slowing down, just watch him against Chelsea, along with rest of the veterans.

Still good enough for la liga and Euros, mind you, but his age shows against the very best.

El Gato

Villarato!

Depends what you understand by 'slowing down'. [MENTION=18429]Morten[/MENTION] is right on this one, broadly.

His level of skill hasn't waned with age. Diet helped him stay mobile and keep that deadly take-on instead of descending into a total turtle that loses the ball a lot, like Marcelo for example.

Biggest issue for me is that standard dilemma you have with his sort - does this have to do with how much he gets to play?
If it does, then it's not really in our benefit to have him be a starter playing 50-75% of minutes. Unless you find a way to play Fede instead of Kroos, which is less ideal as he's better at RCM, it's not clear we're better off with him than moving him on like Cristiano and trying to find the next man, even if short-term we'd be wondering 'why did we do that'?

I maintain I'd like a different player out there permanently. If he can play less, like Marcelo, and still do his thing, it'd be perfect.

Home of Barca Fans