Lionel Messi - v7

FCBfan22

All of this is strange...

A 180 outta nowhere. I hope this is some kind of power play. Somehow even with Tebas being a stupid Madridista, I refuse to believe that he would let Leo slip from LaLiga like that.

Unless he is going to ATM, I call this bullshit for now.

behindbrowneyes

I don't know.
We haven't sold anyone from big earners: Cou, Dembele, Griezz.
We haven't got rid of Busi, Roberto, Alba, Pique.

Some options popping on my mind:
1. we never really wanted to renew him. We had no money and we didn't get rid of anyone.
Either we really couldn't offload anyone, or we didn't try too hard either and everything was a smokescreen.
Remember that in his first stint Laporta got rid of 17 players. He sacked everyone except young Xavi, Iniesta, Valdes, Puyol, Motta.
Maybe he is doing something similar starting this summer?
2. or... Messi never really wanted to renew and everything was a smokescreen?
And he will leave to Psg and reunite with his best friend Neymar again?

There is also a chance that we just couldn't reach a normal agreement with him, but I am not byuing it.
He wanted to leave the last summer also.

ad 1. If you look at the players and what they still could offer to a club, I'm sure we can agree on the fact that not a single one of them is worth the money. Umtiti, Coutinho, Pjanic, Griezmann. All of them are massively overpaid and only one of them is really physically at his peak. Barto fucked the club up with his insane wages. It would've been a miracle to find a club that is willing to pay at least half of their wages.
My guess is that the club still hoped for a miracle or to find a solution together with Tebas. If you look at the club's statement: They are heavily blaming La Liga for this. They have their reasons too. Rules are rules, but if you look at it we have to come to the solution that a reduction of the salary cap by such a big margin within a year (or two) is just not feasible if you have contracts with players that run for 3 or more years.

ad 2. I don't think so. I'm pretty sure he wanted to stay and he didn't want to leave this way. He waited as long as he could for the club to find a solution. He is a free agent and could even sign for a club late October, but Messi is competitive, wants to win titles and knows that his career might last 2 more years on the highest level. He can't wait much longer than he did. Only few clubs can afford him and he must take action now.

Yannik

Hope to see Barca step away from big transfers and wages for a while, sell the deadweight and build the club back up from scratch. Laporta seems determined to cut losses and get La Masia back on board. Couple promising players from there emerging at the moment. Barca might probably not compete with the elite for the next 2-3 seasons, but long term Messi was always going to leave at some point.

Morten

Nah better material now with your Euro claims on team ideals if want to go down that route.

You spent last season saying how Messi made team worse and Braithwaite was best attacker.. now Barca may finish 6th due to no Messi.

Slippery lad.

Barca finished 17 points ahead of 5th last season, now, its entirely possible that 5th place will end up with more points this season than last, but all things being equal, you think Barcelona wont be able to scrape together 65 or so points to get CL-spot?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Messi is 3 times more profitable than his salary so he may lighten the bill in the short term, in finance and sportingly, but this will fuck us even more in repaying debt over the next year's and FFP lol

Not having Messi will reduce our revenue in the short term for sure, but not to the point of reducing our revenue so drastically that cripples our salary cap (without us having to take on Messi's wages). So I suspect salary cap and FFP-wise moving forward we should be OK.

Laporta's job is to minimize the financial hit of Messi's departure, sign a new star player and grow our revenues.

gulaman

If these events are all true, it seems incredible that Barca and Messi agreed a 50% drop in wages and now Barca are saying they can't even afford that! Barca are really in a serious financial mess. I don't think any blame can be attached to Messi. For him to agree a 50% reduction in salary is remarkable in the first place especially when PSG and City will pay him what he wants as long as he comes as a free transfer. He even agreed to stay knowing the squad will never challenge for La Liga or CL. Barca have basically let him go which I find very sad.

Home of Barca Fans