Lionel Messi - v7

Andresito

Staff member
Not if they ban "superleague" clubs players from FIFA tournaments also. Not that FIFA cares about UEFAs problems, so not likely.

Actually wouldn't affect Argentina that much. Of course Messi wouldn't play, but they don't have that many players in the ESL clubs.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Winning the domestic double + doing great in copa america ... he?s gonna win the ballon d'or for sure

Doing great isnt enough he has to win copa america if Mbappe wins CL and has a great Euro. Ballon dor is given by a french organisation isnt it? They will do everything therewith a french player gets it so its very hard for any other player to win it if Mbappe wins CL.

Bulgroz

Doing great isnt enough he has to win copa america if Mbappe wins CL and has a great Euro. Ballon dor is given by a french organisation isnt it? They will do everything therewith a french player gets it so its very hard for any other player to win it if Mbappe wins CL.

Yeah, historically they always gave it to French players, so many of them got the Ballon d'Or, especially recently! Ask Rib?ry and Griezmann about it.

I swear, you're a nice dude but sometimes you say the weirdest things. Ballon d'Or isn't given by a "French Organization". Basically, it's given by a french magazine, but after a vote by journalists from the "main" sports/football newspaper/magazine from each country. The fact that the journal handing it is french doesn't mean shit, as french vote doesn't count for more than other countries. It just so happens that the creator was french, but that's it.

Mbappe needs to win at least one of the two main trophies to win the Ballon d'Or. But Euro will be a huge decider. If PSG wins UCL but France get kicked out of Euro in group stage (which is possible, our group is pretty hard), I'm quite sure Mbappe won't win the Ballon d'Or (unless Euro's final four is stg like Turkey vs Ukraine and Scotland vs Austria). In years with a major NT trophy, you need a strong combination of NT and UCL performances to win it (just look at 2018, Modric went to the WC final and won UCL). It's especially true since FIFA and France Football decided to split (Ballon d'Or and Fifa player of the year merged into one trophy between 2010 and 2016).

I feel like I've explained that thousands of times around here, but I'll explain it once more: Barca can win La Liga with 150 points, Messi won't get another Bd'Or unless he manages to perform well (winning or at least reaching the final) in Copa AND/OR (depending on the year) UCL. It's as simple as that. People outside of spain don't really care about a "LL/CDR double". And quite rightfully so, if you ask me: if you want to prove you're the best, prove it when you're competing against everyone else, or at least everyone from the continent. And, no, french players don't get a free pass, since the vote is international anyways.

malvolio

Messi is not going to retire. Even if he's nowhere what he used to be, he's still a very good player. On his day, he can still control the game and win it on his own. Yeah, we don't see many of those days anymore, but he's still better than a lot of players.

i would like the haters to name one better player than him right now.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yeah, historically they always gave it to French players, so many of them got the Ballon d'Or, especially recently! Ask Rib?ry and Griezmann about it.

I swear, you're a nice dude but sometimes you say the weirdest things. Ballon d'Or isn't given by a "French Organization". Basically, it's given by a french magazine, but after a vote by journalists from the "main" sports/football newspaper/magazine from each country. The fact that the journal handing it is french doesn't mean shit, as french vote doesn't count for more than other countries. It just so happens that the creator was french, but that's it.

Mbappe needs to win at least one of the two main trophies to win the Ballon d'Or. But Euro will be a huge decider. If PSG wins UCL but France get kicked out of Euro in group stage (which is possible, our group is pretty hard), I'm quite sure Mbappe won't win the Ballon d'Or (unless Euro's final four is stg like Turkey vs Ukraine and Scotland vs Austria). In years with a major NT trophy, you need a strong combination of NT and UCL performances to win it (just look at 2018, Modric went to the WC final and won UCL). It's especially true since FIFA and France Football decided to split (Ballon d'Or and Fifa player of the year merged into one trophy between 2010 and 2016).

I feel like I've explained that thousands of times around here, but I'll explain it once more: Barca can win La Liga with 150 points, Messi won't get another Bd'Or unless he manages to perform well (winning or at least reaching the final) in Copa AND/OR (depending on the year) UCL. It's as simple as that. People outside of spain don't really care about a "LL/CDR double". And quite rightfully so, if you ask me: if you want to prove you're the best, prove it when you're competing against everyone else, or at least everyone from the continent. And, no, french players don't get a free pass, since the vote is international anyways.

Ok the first thing you said is right, i have overreact :lol:

2014 Ronaldo has won CL and was out of group stage in WC against Ghana and USA and still won ballon dor so there is still a chance for Mbappe if he goes out of group stage as france has a very difficult group.

Agree with he last part in 2016 Messi won domestic double and has played a very very strong copa america and still didnt won. So i think Messi has only a chance to win ballon dor if he wins Copa america.

Bulgroz

True about Ronaldo. I was going to say that 2014 was during the FIFA-Ballon d'Or era, so kinda irrelevant now, but I just checked and even with the "old formula" he would have won the trophy that year. That being said, he also established the new record for most UCL goals in one season, in 2013-2014.

You're right though, Mbappe might actually win Ballon d'Or even if France gets out in group stage, but he'll need to shine in UCL semis and finals.

As for Messi, since Barca got kicked out of UCL early, he'll definitely need to win Copa America (even a final wouldn't help him at all). He'll also probably need to start next season extra strong since votes are (iirc) casted in octobre and november. And even if he does all that, he need to pray that no other potential winner shine during Euro...

eaman

Messi can win all the balon dors he wants but you will still have plenty of people downgrading his accomplishments if he doesn't do it in another league. And that league can only be the premier league. He wouldn't even have to win things with city just get man of the matches in multiple games to gain more respect from these people

Home of Barca Fans