Lionel Messi - v7

fergus90

City already sending out excuses because they know he's going to PSG? Bluemoon forum was going crazy last summer with all the rumours.

They'll be like "we weren't even interested in signing him..."

Last summer the mood at City was low, lost by a heavy points margin to Liverpool and another disappointing exit to Lyon.

This year they've been playing some fantastic football and have now won 17 games in a row.

I guess they're just generally not convinced that getting Messi is absolutely necessary for them at the moment.

SmilerBam

True.

Everyone knows he was/is City bound.

No other club knew he was really going to leave. Even PSG entered the dance after it was made public which means City only were in the know.

Worst kept secret that.

You ae a psg fan right?Do you think Messi would really add something to your team?

Vilarrubi

it was a bluff to get bartomeu to leave

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

Newcomer

You ae a psg fan right?Do you think Messi would really add something to your team?

It is Messi. A class of players that will always add something to a team. With FFP, it becomes very difficult though. To the point, i'm thinking a very well made transfer window could strengthen the team more than Messi alone. Though, we all know PSG will fail to recruit competent midfielder and fullbacks.

Newcomer

Last summer the mood at City was low, lost by a heavy points margin to Liverpool and another disappointing exit to Lyon.

This year they've been playing some fantastic football and have now won 17 games in a row.

I guess they're just generally not convinced that getting Messi is absolutely necessary for them at the moment.

You don't plan the transfer of such players on a mood.

My take on this transfer is City aren't making noise because they know they already had an agreement with Messi last summer and are just waiting. Bit like when PSG wouldn't talk about Neymar when everything was sealed behind the scenes.

It is good and cheap revenge for PSG to talk about Messi after years of Bar?a talking about Thiago Silva/Marquinhos/Verratti/Neymar and a desperate attempt at courting the Argentinian.

JamDav1982

Messi should just announce now he is going to City.

If they win the quadruple or a treble or even just the CL it will look like just chasing trophies on best team.

City have balanced their team defensively and slowed down their movement etc this season.... getting ready to fit Messi in possibly.

fergus90

I would be amazed if City sign Messi. I'll gladly eat humble pie if it happens, just can't see them doing it.

The age, the wages, the media circus that it might bring, just cannot see them doing it.

Newcomer

Messi should just announce now he is going to City.

If they win the quadruple or a treble or even just the CL it will look like just chasing trophies on best team.

City have balanced their team defensively and slowed down their movement etc this season.... getting ready to fit Messi in possibly.

He doesn't need to and probably doesn't want to. It could be seen as a betrayal and tarnish his reputation announcing his transfer while the season is not over. It is far more sensible to do it like last summer after the last game is played.

Also, he could still play the card "i waited for Bar?a president elections but decided i wanted a new challenge". Announcing it now means he wouldn't have given Bar?a a chance to even convince him and keep him.

JamDav1982

He doesn't need to and probably doesn't want to. It could be seen as a betrayal and tarnish his reputation announcing his transfer while the season is not over. It is far more sensible to do it like last summer after the last game is played.

Also, he could still play the card "i waited for Bar?a president elections but decided i wanted a new challenge". Announcing it now means he wouldn't have given Bar?a a chance to even convince him and keep him.

I doubt anyone would care all that much. He has already tried to leave and done enough to deserve to make whatever decision he wants for next season.

Playing a dicey game if was to get a bad injury and have no contract next season.

Hardy

I don't really believe he'll wait summer to announce his decision. I think he should at least announce if he stays or he leaves after the elections, there is absolutely no sense waiting june, and he has also copa america to play.

SmilerBam

It is Messi. A class of players that will always add something to a team. With FFP, it becomes very difficult though. To the point, i'm thinking a very well made transfer window could strengthen the team more than Messi alone. Though, we all know PSG will fail to recruit competent midfielder and fullbacks.
I don t see any point in Psg buying Messi.Not with the attacking talent they have.Of course, if Mbappe leaves...but i don t see anyone taking him this summer from Psg.For Messi though it would be easier at Psg.The less demanding league will be a godsend for his waning physical condition and he could save himself for the CL.At City, idk, but will he be able to sustain himself in a much more physical and demanding games?Than again, at the way City play and seeing how far away they are from anyone in England, it would be easy peasy for Messi in a team tailored for him.Pains me to say, but both teams are much better than the current Barcelona and a better match for Messi and his desire to win that last CL.

xxxxxx

City already sending out excuses because they know he's going to PSG? Bluemoon forum was going crazy last summer with all the rumours.

They'll be like "we weren't even interested in signing him..."

He won't be going to be PSG either.

They simply can't have Mbappe, Neymar and Messi in the same team due to the FFP. They just lost 200m euros in revenue due to COVID and lost a lot from their TV deal. If anything, they'll have to sell or release players to balance the books. Mbappe won't be gone in the summer and Neymar is apparently close to signing a new contract.

And, Messi obviously didn't discuss contract terms last summer..... because he was still under contract with us. Yeah, he can talk to Man City now, but I think he'll wait till April before making a decision. But, people close to Messi have said that he's closer to signing for Man City than staying at Barcelona.... they'd be more reliable than some BBC reporter.

Last edited:

xxxxxx

I would be amazed if City sign Messi. I'll gladly eat humble pie if it happens, just can't see them doing it.

The age, the wages, the media circus that it might bring, just cannot see them doing it.

It can easily happen. Age isn't a factor if he's still a top player. His salary won't be anywhere as close as it was for us, and they'll easily make that back from his marketing. They also have Pep as a manager.... and he'd love to work with Messi again.

xxxxxx

I don't really believe he'll wait summer to announce his decision. I think he should at least announce if he stays or he leaves after the elections, there is absolutely no sense waiting june, and he has also copa america to play.

He'll make his decision either at the end of March or early April.

Home of Barca Fans