Lionel Messi - v7

fergus90

It can easily happen. Age isn't a factor if he's still a top player. His salary won't be anywhere as close as it was for us, and they'll easily make that back from his marketing. They also have Pep as a manager.... and he'd love to work with Messi again.

Rather than the marketing, I was thinking more of the constant media frenzy that might de-stabilise the team somewhat.

But Messi is Messi I guess and the potential reward outweighs the risk. From a personal standpoint I live close to Manchester so it softens the blow slightly knowing I can watch him on a more regular basis.

xxxxxx

Messi is always going to get media attention regardless of what he does.

He's used to all the media stuff.... bad or good.

Regardless, I think it's smart of City to sit back and let Messi decide his future and not put pressure on him. There's no need to put pressure on a situation when he's going to make his decision in a month or 2. There are 3 options for Messi: Stay in Barcelona, go to Man City.... or go to PSG (this one looks more unlikely due to the FFP).

fergus90

Messi is always going to get media attention regardless of what he does.

He's used to all the media stuff.... bad or good.

Regardless, I think it's smart of City to sit back and let Messi decide his future and not put pressure on him. There's no need to put pressure on a situation when he's going to make his decision in a month or 2. There are 3 options for Messi: Stay in Barcelona, go to Man City.... or go to PSG (this one looks more unlikely due to the FFP).

I was thinking more from the club's point of view. Especially if he joins them off the back of them winning the treble/quadruple (still work to be done there) and he doesn't hit the ground running.

It's difficult to question anything about Messi though really on a Barcelona forum anyway because there's emotion involved but emotion aside at 34 years old, big wages and their need for a number 9, I don't think he's priority number 1. Just my opinion though of course. Didn't he bring up the fact he'd like to play in the MLS too in that recent interview?

xxxxxx

If anything, if City won all those trophies that'll make his decision even easier.

I find it hard to believe that Messi will struggle in City. He's still too good of a player. He won't have to carry the load at City. If players like Ibra, Ronaldo, Vardy are still banging in the goals, I don't see how Messi can't. He's still banging in the goals in our team, and we have a bang-average team for the most part.

fergus90

If anything, if City won all those trophies that'll make his decision even easier.

I find it hard to believe that Messi will struggle in City. He's still too good of a player. He won't have to carry the load at City. If players like Ibra, Ronaldo, Vardy are still banging in the goals, I don't see how Messi can't. He's still banging in the goals in our team, and we have a bang-average team for the most part.

I don't think he'd struggle at all and have never suggested that. I am saying given their current quality, their priority might be in signing a number 9 rather than present-day Messi. All will be revealed soon enough though.

Vilarrubi

I don't think he'd struggle at all and have never suggested that. I am saying given their current quality, their priority might be in signing a number 9 rather than present-day Messi. All will be revealed soon enough though.

They function fine without a proper 9 atm. Messi could be false 9 meaning De Bruyne drops back to his usual position. Two of Sterling/Foden/Mahrez/Silva on the wings, players who can all beat a man, make great passes and finish chances.... very dangerous attack.

Rassvet

How depressing it is that Messi probably will end his career,(or at least his european career) at one of those plastic clubs(Citeh or QSG).It makes me sick in the stomach,honestly.

better than ending his career alongside the Bermuda triangle of Busquets, Pique, Lenglet

Messigician

Laporta still has Messi's word on his future. If he wins the elections, Messi will stay. Nothing has changed, not even after the 1-4 loss against PSG. The player has offers from PSG and Manchester City. Leo's family does not want to move from Barcelona.

? @sagonzalezbueno https://t.co/DE4tIIE77g

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
City are going to offer him a percentage of their business to circumvent paying a salary and to sweeten the deal they are going to get him Harry Kane to play alongside him.

Hardy

dude is really brave if he stays here, he's on the way to end his career in one of the most miserable way

Hardy

stupid, not brave, lol

also, but I'm thinking all reasons why he could stay here and there is only one that makes sense, maybe we are the only club so desperate to give him same wage he has right now. Messi would go to PSG or City to take I don't know, the double of the highest paid player there?

Home of Barca Fans