Liga Round 11: Barca - Real 1-2

JamDav1982

De jong wouldn't have made any difference today.

Gavi and Gundogan controlled the midfield, that's not why we lost today.

He would have made a huge difference.

Barca completely lost control of midfield in second half and when Real started to pressure the Barca mid.

But aye the man who has been best mid on park four of the last five games v Real and has been best player last three times have been them would have 'made no difference'.

Gavi isnt 'controlling game' with barely more than 35 passes with little range and giving away ball more than any Barca player.

Asylum15

Been watching all our games this season as always but not posting much.

This team has improved in areas this season, I agree with poster(s) mentioning our ability to better build through a high press. We have more dynamism off the ball which allows us to find the spare man more times than not which at the beginning of Xavi ball was crucifying and in the latter years of Valverde's reign, made me want to cry.

However, after the first half ended, you could see like a fucking burning meteorite that we'd start slow second half, drop deeper and begin to invite pressure. My opinion and opinion only, this was a really average Real. No focal point in attack, Kroos was dreadful, Alaba was having a mare and yet we invited them to regain confidence. This has to be on Xavi and nobody else. THIS is the difference between Pep and Xavi (at a basic level). One would absolutely lose his reason if his team begun to consciously surrender territory and begun trying to score in 2-3 passes instead of maintaining the ball and regaining control and the other just claps when Balde blindly crosses to nobody or when Felix runs down a dark alley with no hope of a result. It's fucking blinding to me as a fan all these years. It's tiki taka (at times) with a very serious mental fragility.

That 1st half was the best we could do and I loved Fermin's performance, Gavi's hustle and bustle (I'm very critical of him) and our energy. We handed them the 2nd half and then got harshly punished.

I'm just not convinced Xavi is giving this team the right mental frame the more I watch us against stronger sides.

We look like a team that plays nice football until we have a goal then we need to protect it at all costs.
This has no future in this club and Cruyff would roll in his grave with this beta mindset.

This one hurt, alot.

JohnN

First half, we were totally in control, most we had in any game this season. Created a couple of great chances that we should have scored with more luck. then we drop led back to double decker. this happened against shaktar too.

It's not the opponents tactics. we are considerably lowering the intensity when we are ahead in second half's.

The logic is to control the game by lowering the tempo but the opposite happens. I can't tell if the directions given from Xavi are wrong or misinterpreted. Players lose their grit when switching to that mode and we get pressured to death. even if the real goals are lucky and we defended well mostly, we can't ask these players to play mourinho style for a whole half and expect then to be great at it.

NKMaribor

Of course it is about tactics. Carlo being dumbass and starting with Vini and Rodrygo upfront, Kroos and Mendy as LB, gave Barca massive advantage, and you did nothing with it.

That changed with Mendy, Kroos and Rodrygo being replaced with Cama, Joselu and vintage Modric. While Xavi responded badly.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
1. We didn't deserve to lose that's for sure as Barca created more chances than Madrid.

2. One team can sub in Modric, other Romeu

mc_lovin

Result is a sucker punch, but not too bothered. We played reasonably well and hopefully get our whole squad back now. 4 points isn't a death sentence at this point.

JamDav1982

It is 4 points but also the fixtures teams have played.

Barca have largely played poorer sides and Real/Bilbao at home.

Real have played Barca away, Atleti away, Girona away, Bilbao away and played likes of Sociedad at home.

4 points with those fixtures is a lot in La Liga as there are to many poor sides expect Real to beat at a canter.

El Gato

Villarato!
Real will find a way to lose or draw winnable games
If Jude is ran down to the ground playing every 3 days he won't be as successful in spring and Carlo seems super reluctant to play the alternative

Tchouameni injured for up to 2 months now will no doubt change the way we line up a bit with Camavinga filling in but he doesn't have as much positional sense to him even if can be a superb tackler

JamDav1982

Not claiming league is over and dont think there is anything between Real and Barca but from here Real are def favs with the lead and fixtures to come.

As long as Barca can improve and iron out some of the flaws while keeping it a title race and then doing well in CL that is acceptable.

Richard.H

We simply can't compete in LL or CL with our bench and constant injuries. Players like Romeu can't handle the press and pressure at this level. Last year is not getting enough credit for how good our defense was which was insane for a historically attack-focused club like Barca.

Home of Barca Fans