Karim Benzema

Birdy

If Karim fancies Paris/Lyon and frees up spot for Haaland-Mbappe.. blimey

Honest question for you and [MENTION=18429]Morten[/MENTION]

Would you fancy Haaland on the top of Mbape this summer (let's assume it's possible)?
With the additional condition that if that happens you stay for some while with CMK in md and basically what you already have in all other positions.
Maybe a free agent here and there, but not top quality and on lowish wages

The other alternative is you get only Mbape, but you have the chance of strengthening several other positions the next 1-2 years.

Which one you take?

El Gato

Villarato!

Would you fancy Haaland on the top of Mbape this summer (let's assume it's possible)?
With the additional condition that if that happens you stay for some while with CMK in md and basically what you already have in all other positions.

The other alternative is you get only Mbape, but you have the chance of strengthening several other positions the next 1-2 years.

Which one you take?

Why either?
I'd like both, trust Haaland more than Mbappe, but probably only Mbappe will happen as for latter would have to willingly say to Benz his time is up. Which club won't do as they just extended him

Birdy

Why either?
I'd like both, trust Haaland more than Mbappe, but probably only Mbappe will happen as for latter would have to willingly say to Benz his time is up. Which club won't do as they just extended him

This is a hypothetical scenario (but also very probable IMO)
You have only two options:
1) Haaland + Mbape, but no other serious reinforcements for some years
2) Mbape + refurbishing the team in general

Would you pick 1 or 2?

El Gato

Villarato!
Don't see how spending 80M on two players would mean we get no reinforcements for several years. Probably the opposite considering getting two of them and them working it out would mean big rush to join RM and get a chance to play with them

Lots of ways it could go. Including we buy Mbappe, he ends up injured like Hazard and we end up scrambling for another star in 2 years

Birdy

Don't see how spending 80M on two players would mean we get no reinforcements for several years. Probably the opposite considering getting two of them and them working it out would mean big rush to join RM and get a chance to play with them

Lots of ways it could go. Including we buy Mbappe, he ends up injured like Hazard and we end up scrambling for another star in 2 years

it's not just the 80 M LOL
If this occurs, it will be because of the enormous wages both of them will be getting

El Gato

Villarato!
it's not just the 80 M LOL
If this occurs, it will be because of the enormous wages both of them will be getting

Wages are fine and been prepped a long time. Benzema 2nd highest/THE highest earner would likely be gone, Bale up there on wage ladder gone, Marcelo 3rd highest earner and 2nd captain gone, Hazard possibly shipped out on loan and his part of salary slashed or gone altogether for a whole year as wouldn't play much anyway. Loads of salary freed up easy, something of a magnitude of 50-60M and that's excluding Isco who's also gonna go, any possible sales (i.e. Jović) and Modrić getting an extension that could be cut further and Im sure he'd not complain if it facilitates these two coming in
Two U23 players wouldn't likely be getting more than 18M each to start anyway, Perez not known to hand these out willy nilly to anyone, even CR got a rather normal star contract before it got raised to the region of 20-25 after which demanded it to kept at Messi level post-2015 and Perez blocked final raise when he turned 33. Bonuses would be fatter and even those arent a problem

No reason to think we'd be broke if two of them came and would likely attract plenty of interest if they started banging them in together much like various players gravitated to PSG when Mbappe signed on with Neymar i.e. Icardi, Hakimi..

Last edited:

Morten

Which one you take?

Sure, i would take both, can't pass up on the opportunity if it arrives.

CMK doesn't have to be midfield trio either way though, we have options, Modric should be phased out for Valverde, while Camavinga could get a bigger role too, so we don't really have to make big investments here yet, so im fine with keeping the current players for a while.

The squad is decent enough for me that i would take both instead of just Mbappe + other investments, though i have concerns about our right back position, and our right-flank in general, can Vinicius adjust to playing on the right? I certainly hope so.

El Gato

Villarato!
our right back position

Will probably get some upstart from Qatar WC to fill that though Vazquez is signed on for another 2 years and won't play RW I thought so might be stuck with it

and our right-flank in general, can Vinicius adjust to playing on the right? I certainly hope so.

Any manager who tries to shift him off his best position should be immediately sacked
At worst he ought to be relegated to the bench if out of form and Mbappe slots in where wants
Asensio probably gonna get extended if keeps the slight improvement he showed this season. 25 and entering last year of contract + probably knows people will be after his spot so will want to prove worth to get the new deal. Perez doesn't pass up on talented sexy Spaniard representation
So likely Vini/Rodrygo (or Hazard depending if can be loaned or not) at LW and Mbappe/Asensio at RW for 22/23

Morten

Will probably get some upstart from Qatar WC to fill that though Vazquez is signed on for another 2 years and won't play RW I thought so might be stuck with it

Any manager who tries to shift him off his best position should be immediately sacked
At worst he ought to be relegated to the bench if out of form and Mbappe slots in where wants
Asensio probably gonna get extended if keeps the slight improvement he showed this season. 25 and entering last year of contract + probably knows people will be after his spot so will want to prove worth to get the new deal. Perez doesn't pass up on talented sexy Spaniard representation
So likely Vini/Rodrygo (or Hazard depending if can be loaned or not) at LW and Mbappe/Asensio at RW for 22/23

I guess we will play the lord at RB for the forseeable future then, forgot he signed a new contract.

Mbappe at RW? He hardly ever plays there, and we both know which of the two who has to give up his position for the other.

Mbappe can play CF if Haaland isn't coming, i suppose, so there is that.

El Gato

Villarato!
Mbappe at RW? He hardly ever plays there, and we both know which of the two who has to give up his position for the other.

Mbappe can play CF if Haaland isn't coming, i suppose, so there is that.

Im not sure why any coach of sound mind would rather 'make Mbappe happy' by playing him in preferred position rather than take a punt at killing two birds with one stone and play him, even temporarily, in a position where he may not be comfortable but one that desperately needs talent. Vini isn't good there, hasnt been whenever tried. Rodrygo isn't either, he started at LW. Asensio is OK but quite predictable unless really keen and really sharp to the point where every other shot is on goal.
Mbappe at LW is a waste of Vinicius talent whichever way you play it. Unless he's consistently garbage and reverts back to the old form where he's not going to provide any tangible return, there's no reason why he ought to be touched from that position.

It'll be played by ear.
If Vini sucks, Mbappe might be moved there with Vinicius as his sub and Asensio playing more.
If Vini plays OK, Mbappe probably at RW with whichever CF that we have (Benz or Haaland).
If Vini plays great, Mbappe at RW

There's no reason to put a good Vini on the right and hope he feels as good as was on the left just to make a player happy.
Save for absurd scoring return from Mbappe on the left if he ever gets to play there, I dont see it happening
Sooner see him at RW in first year and then moved to CF if Haaland isn't bought to replace Benzema

mc_lovin

The only comfort in Real getting Mbappe for free are the positional issues that will ensue. I can't see him being pleased to play RW. He's good there, but it's easily his worst position. I don't think he's all that at CF either.

Home of Barca Fans