Jeremy Mathieu

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
While I like Mathieu I'm not convinced about him as a CB yet and he's approaching his 30's...

barcanuck

He is more of a LB then a CB, he's Abidal's replacement. At least he is tall.

According to Wiki, it shows him playing only 2 games this past season and 50 games the year before under Emery. Any one know the story there?

Stric

Seriously, though... he's a left back / left winger.... who occasionally plays at CB. I hope we're not buying him?!?!

Andrew M

Valverde introduced him as CB and, like it is said above, he was brilliant against PSG. For the price a great signing, but I feel we will still need another CB.

Mr Hulot

Back in the left side Alba-Mathieu of Valencia days, I have to admit that I liked Mathieu more than Alba. He was a very nice player, but I think that it would be a huge mistake to buy him and play him as a central defender. We need a natural defender with positional awareness plus pace.

desoe

Seriously, though... he's a left back / left winger.... who occasionally plays at CB. I hope we're not buying him?!?!

I wouldn't mind adding him into the squad, if he's a +1 player to our priority defender (whoever he is). Right now I realize that I'm so panicked about defense and defenders after last season, that I'd probably sign around 15 new players for our backline.

I

instinct

If it does not hold us back from signing a real CB, then he will be a good rotation player, I'm sure about that. But our budget and our priority (world class CB preferred :D) should not be touched with his transfer. I think we can get him for 5-6 million.

Tall, cheap and seasoned defender? Yes please.

29 years old, not Barca quality, not a real CB, and cheap for a reason? Hell no.

I suppose I wouldn't mind him as a 3rd/4th choice CB, but I'd rage if he were our only CB signing.

We need a world class CB or at least a young one with world class potential, not some random mediocre 5M player just coz he's cheap...

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I quite like this signing at around 5m.

He was class in central defence for Valencia in the second half of the season. Was composed, has pace and is decent in the air.

Also being left footed and a former full back he is comfortable when pulled out wide or covering the area left by full back bombing on.

Not the answer but would improve the squad.

khaled_a_d

As long as he is bought for a back up role I like the signing ,we need to add depth to the defense and no La Masia graduate has proved he is worth playing time in that position yet
But If he is just our new signing CB ,then that will be awful to the team

desoe

How I said before, adding two defenders to the squad is allowing us to loan Bartra, so he could get the minutes he needs. Adding just one is somehow making us fragile again, if we loan him.

Arachnid

How I said before, adding two defenders to the squad is allowing us to loan Bartra, so he could get the minutes he needs. Adding just one is somehow making us fragile again, if we loan him.

Tito trusted more a short, injury-prone fullback doing his first stint as CB better than Bartra. It's safe to say that he's leaving and never coming back.

JamDav1982

Tito trusted more a short, injury-prone fullback doing his first stint as CB better than Bartra. It's safe to say that he's leaving and never coming back.

Adriano was better than Bartra at center half.

Some of Bartras performances he looked like the worst Barca center half in years.

No way should Adriano be considered a CB going forward but he looked better than Bartra in my opinion.

Home of Barca Fans