Jeremy Mathieu

xXKonan

He gets a lot of crap from some Barca fans for his passing at times.

But he's a good quality CB back up even at 32 years old and he's Definitely worth keeping around even if we get a new young CB. to be honest I wish we he was a bit younger.

Trickykid

Him at CB, all day every day. Quality back up.

He gets a lot of crap from some Barca fans for his passing at times.

But he's a good quality CB back up even at 32 years old and he's Definitely worth keeping around even if we get a new young CB. to be honest I wish we he was a bit younger.

Yep, can't ask for more than our Mathieu for a third spot CB, and I can't see why we wouldn't keep him. All the grace and panache of an elephant, but he gets the job done.

BerkeleyBernie

He's hella fast. On the Castro (Sporting) goal the other day, from the top left side of the box, he had just squared to Suarez who misread/couldn't get to it, which started the counter. He tracked back on steroids, beating Adriano who had a 15 yard lead, and was in the box hassling the man with the ball just before the goal.

xXKonan

Last season he was solid and at times shaky but this season he really adapted to the CB role in our system and has been putting out consistent performances every time he gets to play. Best part about is you don't hear him complain at all that he doesn't play a lot.

Dude is living the dream.

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
Deserves to be talked about more positively. Sometimes I forget he's in the squad but every time he's on that XI as a cb, it doesn't bother me - a compliment to the man, really.

raskolnikov

Its because everyone always rips on him being a bad lb, which he is nowadays but he is a quality cb back up. I prefer him over Vermaelen to be honest. We just need a good lb back up since Adriano wont do anymore.

Horatio

You're welcome
I have been a Mathieu proponent a long time and always had the feeling he has been slightly underrated. It's very clear to me that he is not the best out there but somehow manages to do the right thing at the right moment enough to not have us lose a game. Maybe I just have a lot of sympathy for him. Consider me a fan.

I didn't like his long ball passing today, but again we didn't end up losing and frustration and panicky was kind of the general undertone in the whole team.
Again showed today that he is hella fast.

Last edited:

God Serena

He's hella fast. On the Castro (Sporting) goal the other day, from the top left side of the box, he had just squared to Suarez who misread/couldn't get to it, which started the counter. He tracked back on steroids, beating Adriano who had a 15 yard lead, and was in the box hassling the man with the ball just before the goal.

To be fair though, Adriano doesn't even make an attempt to go any faster than a light jog when the time for defending comes.

But yes, solid performance. If only we had a backup LB, we'd never have to see Malboro play there again.

Messi983

To be fair though, Adriano doesn't even make an attempt to go any faster than a light jog when the time for defending comes.

This.

Yes, Mathieu was way out of position and made a bad pass but at least he showed effort to get back and almost caught Sporting player. On the other hand Adriano was just walking back to defense. So I blame this goal more on him than Mathieu. I don't know responsibilities of every player but I know that when i.e. Pique goes forward someone (usually Busquets) stays back to cover for him. All 11 players should play in defense when we lose the ball that high on the pitch. If one make a mistake there should be others to cover for him. In this case I think Adriano should cover CB position when Mathieu has gone forward.

At the same time I also have to give credit to Sporting, it was just a perfectly executed counter.

God Serena

Take the money and run. Decent third choice CB I guess but any opportunity to refresh that back line should be taken with a smile.

barcanuck

It would suck to lose him though, I don't want to lose our depth. Screw off Monaco.

Right now the biggest reason besides Suarez I think our depth is making the difference.

We got tons of CB options and 2 very even goalies.

If we lose Mathieu, Verm or Bartra or a couple of them we are stuck with a 33 year old Masche next season + Pique who just turned 29.

Only a big purchase of a Laporte would really help us if we lose some of our depth.

God Serena

It would suck to lose him though, I don't want to lose our depth. Screw off Monaco.

Right now the biggest reason besides Suarez I think our depth is making the difference.

We got tons of CB options and 2 very even goalies.

If we lose Mathieu, Verm or Bartra or a couple of them we are stuck with a 33 year old Masche next season + Pique who just turned 29.

Only a big purchase of a Laporte would really help us if we lose some of our depth.

Replacing Mathieu will be easy. He's not exactly spectacular. We could probably promote a B team CB, make Verm 3rd choice CB, and be just as well off.

Home of Barca Fans