European Super League

Porque

I think it's necessary to point out that the founding clubs must have their places guaranteed to establish the Super League. Sure they will be rewarded financially but it is also a necessity that they consistently participate to guarantee the funding and the tv rights.

After 15-20 years once the league is established, expanded and replaced the CL then we will see how the domestic league performances gain entrance into the SL and the system evolves. The lesser leagues in Europe will probably have their regional Super League's by then (with the big 4/5 staying purely domestic) and we will wonder how we ever stayed with the old archaic Uefa model for so long.

Vilarrubi

EzXzXFVVIAUMww1

fergus90

I think it's necessary to point out that the founding clubs must have their places guaranteed to establish the Super League. Sure they will be rewarded financially but it is also a necessity that they consistently participate to guarantee the funding and the tv rights.

After 15-20 years once the league is established, expanded and replaced the CL then we will see how the domestic league performances gain entrance into the SL and the system evolves.

15 years is a flipping long time to grant teams exclusivity though. That's a whole generation of players careers at the top level.

soul24rage

The concept is good imo, a tournament where elite clubs face each other regularly is clearly more interesting and fun to watch than a tournament where you have to wait till the quarters. Its the same story every season. Same clubs end up being top 2 in their groups apart from a few minor surprises every now and then, and then maaaybe we get to see an interesting matchup if the draw allows it.

Concept is good, but yeah i agree its not fair that founder clubs are guaranteed a spot no matter what. There has to be a better solution. Could be anything like having the founder clubs + another 12 clubs joining by qualification instead of only 5, maybe from season 2 and onwards only top 10 clubs in the super league keep their spot, other clubs have to qualify to stay... i dont know, but still i think the idea is good + UEFA doesnt to get to have a monopoly anymore.

This would be my idea. Have the format where the best 4 teams of the best top 5 European leagues qualify for the ESL each season with no guarantees of staying in the ESL.

-This keeps the concept of meritocracy alive
-Domestic Leagues will still be important
-Reduces the # of "boring" matches as you would get in the CL group stages
-Have more big games coming.
-UEFA doesn't take huge chunk of $ from clubs

akaranzo

This will actually kill the sport. Football has been the greatest sport in the world because of the passionate fans rooted in the love for their club and the game. This will alienate them and instead market to people who have never cared about the sport. It's an absolute disgrace.

cro-man

Florentino Perez to El Chiringuito: "Why aren't UEFA and La Liga salaries public? Why haven't salaries been reduced like everyone else during the pandemic? We need more transparency. We know the salary of LeBron James but we don’t know the salary of the UEFA president". ��

JamDav1982

This would be my idea. Have the format where the best 4 teams of the best top 5 European leagues qualify for the ESL each season with no guarantees of staying in the ESL.

-This keeps the concept of meritocracy alive
-Domestic Leagues will still be important
-Reduces the # of "boring" matches as you would get in the CL group stages
-Have more big games coming.
-UEFA doesn't take huge chunk of $ from clubs

That is just as bad if not worse and completely cuts off any clubs outwith top 5 leagues.

fergus90

I don't see how fans will regularly afford to attend these Super League games several times a season on top of the domestic schedule. It's gonna be like the CL final every week, full of corporates and Prawn Sandwich brigade.

Vilarrubi

In the same way that Haaland wouldn’t want to play for Dortmund if they don’t make top 4, that will happen on a massive scale. All the top players will only want to play for the “Super League” teams who will be able to offer ridiculous contracts through the money they’ve been given. Gap will widen between the top and bottom teams, players like Vardy who’s been loyal to Leicester, would he want to play for them knowing he likely won’t get a chance to fight for a place in Europe...

Porque

15 years is a flipping long time to grant teams exclusivity though. That's a whole generation of players careers at the top level.

Agreed, and perhaps if it was a lesser sport it would be less time. But we're talking about implementing an unwanted change against an organization with the size and pull of Uefa(+Fifa) and that will require a long term commitment

JamDav1982

This will actually kill the sport. Football has been the greatest sport in the world because of the passionate fans rooted in the love for their club and the game. This will alienate them and instead market to people who have never cared about the sport. It's an absolute disgrace.

Why would it alienate fans more so than UEFAs proposal?

Home of Barca Fans