European Super League

Windhook

I doubt it. Hell, noone says Pele & Maradona played against farmers and didn't do it in the European Cup.

Actually I do hear such things. Like "eeehhh football was slow", "they should've just fouled Maradona out in that second miracle goal vs. England".

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Bullshit nba system,playoffs, classico in LA, countless commercials, insta/-youtube influencers in studio snoop as comic relief, half time performance by Ariana Grande followed by woke statements.
Future of football at this rate...

Where is Ja Rule?? Someone get hold of this mf'er so I can make sense of all this!

Worst yet, cutting into commercials at every break and extending a 90-minute game into 3 or 4 hours. It will be as boring as baseball.

And yeah, by the way, FC Barcelona Baseball is coming back! :bounce:

JamDav1982

Ultimately the only way this hostile takeover of football can win is if the fans are weak enough to support it.

I don't think that's true at all. The outrage toward this is palpable in England, and presumably elsewhere too. It would be damaging enough not to stand in the way of this, but to claim you would and then betray working class football supporters? I don't see this government risking that, even if there were economic benefits to this move for the UK - which there likely won't be.

Rich going on about 'working class fans' when EPL has tried to squeeze every last penny out those same fans and seen them as nothing but pound signs.

Suddenly they are all about 'football for the fans' as a rallying call to get them all onside.

Pure hypocrisy.

Jenks

[tw]1384201875088572417[/tw]

Fans not happy.

Rich going on about 'working class fans' when EPL has tried to squeeze every last penny out those same fans and seen them as nothing but pound signs.

Suddenly they are all about 'football for the fans' as a rallying call to get them all onside.

Pure hypocrisy.

It's one thing to be money grubbers, it's another to rip up the entire pyramid and principles behind the game.

Yannik

True and that's why 50+1 is needed in England, not the fucking Super League which has a dude as co chairman that even bleeds out his own club if it makes him money.

JamDav1982

[tw]1384201875088572417[/tw]

Fans not happy.

It's one thing to be money grubbers, it's another to rip up the entire pyramid and principles behind the game.

Not really. It is hypocritical to make out 'think of the fans' when done complete opposite for as much cash as possible until this point.

Folk are gullible enough to believe it though and will react as Sky/clubs and league tell them to.

Porque

Ultimately the only way this hostile takeover of football can win is if the fans are weak enough to support it.

I don't think that's true at all. The outrage toward this is palpable in England, and presumably elsewhere too. It would be damaging enough not to stand in the way of this, but to claim you would and then betray working class football supporters? I don't see this government risking that, even if there were economic benefits to this move for the UK - which there likely won't be.

Right but the proposal at face value, is maintaining the infrastructures of all domestic football systems. The clubs would still be competing in the local leagues. They have not made a proposal that they are leaving the Premierleague. It is the threat from Uefa of that.

It is more about backing the financial interests of the Premier League. And sure it helps to calm the national fan outrage, which is in part human nature for venturing against conformity. Let's be honest, this is a proposal related to European Football and not British football. It is above the head of the local leagues and more of a Coup d'etat on the Uefa Champions League.

The Champions League will still be there with prize money for local leagues. The ESL clubs will also be in the local leagues. The real issue is basically that the G-12 have surpassed the benefit of staying in the current CL.

Perhaps the British government could contest other matters more pertaining to international interest in football such as boycotting the Qatar world cup. For now it is, to me, more about needing the assurances that their domestic products are not compromised financially. Which there currently doesn't seem to be a suggestion to, as CL TV rights sales and sponsorships have neither negatively nor positively correlated with the Premier Leagues.

In a way it might somehow have a benefit for the local leagues. The non ESL clubs versus the local clubs will have extra interest and fanfare. An end of season ESL winner vs. CL winner game.

Last edited:

Jenks

Not really. It is hypocritical to make out 'think of the fans' when done complete opposite for as much cash as possible until this point.

Folk are gullible enough to believe it though and will react as Sky/clubs and league tell them to.

Who is saying nothing but "think of the fans"?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I have been thinking about the bans threatened by FIFA, UEFA and all the national leagues. If they do follow through with the bans, won’t these leagues and FAs be facing lawsuits from rights holders, broadcasters and media companies for the respective packages/deals they have signed with these leagues? They would want to get their money back if these 12 teams are not playing in the domestic leagues, Euro and the World Cup. One possibility would be these leagues going after the 12 clubs for compensations but what if they refuse to pay on the ground of “We want to play, it is you who banned us”?

KingLeo10

I have been thinking about the bans threatened by FIFA, UEFA and all the national leagues. If they do follow through with the bans, won’t these leagues and FAs be facing lawsuits from rights holders, broadcasters and media companies for the respective packages/deals they have signed with these leagues? They would want to get their money back if these 12 teams are not playing in the domestic leagues, Euro and the World Cup. One possibility would be these leagues going after the 12 clubs for compensations but what if they refuse to pay on the ground of “We want to play, it is you who banned us”?

UEFA are paper kittens.

Morten

Probably, it will be a long line of lawsuits in each direction, and i dont reckon it will be solved quickly.

Porque

Let's all take a moment to admire Bartomeu by the way. In his parting shot he endorsed FC Barcelona for the Super League as if he was some kind of trailblazer, when it was all just Uncle Flo's idea.

Turns out no one from Barcelona will even be in a position of power on this league.

What an idiot.

Home of Barca Fans