European Super League

Jadentheman

Pique out there schooling fools left and right, exposing Flo's shady ass to the world. You love to see it.

Pique has been a businessman for quite a while now. I know some people say he's not ready but I'd love ot see him as club president within the next 10 years. Even for the shenanigans alone.

Bulgroz

If the goal is to get the best 20 teams into a league or tournament then you are not going to have teams outside of the big 5 league unless maybe Ajax or Porto once in a while.

I want to see the biggest team and the best players compete, i don't give a shit about promotion/relegation or every team, country getting a fair chance.
I don't want to see Basel, Donetsk, Ferencvaros or Kopenhagen.

imo however flawed the ESL as a concept was far better the the current or future versions of the CL.

I love how people get bragging rights for supporting a "historic" club, but have absolutely no regard for the history of this sport as a whole. Another way of saying "history's great but just for my team. Other former great clubs can go fuck themselves".

Morten

I love how people get bragging rights for supporting a "historic" club, but have absolutely no regard for the history of this sport as a whole. Another way of saying "history's great but just for my team. Other former great clubs can go fuck themselves".

Part of the reason i like the league, i like facing everyday teams(as everyday as teams can be in a top division, that is).

For sure, the balance of power is massively in favor the big teams(such as RM, that i support) in those fixtures, im under no illusion about that, but i like the variation, facing different teams every week.

Of course the big fixtures, like Barcelona, Bayern or Liverpool are more interesting, but would they be if they played each other all the time? I dont think so, but, thats just me.

Last edited:

Laplacian

If the goal is to get the best 20 teams into a league or tournament then you are not going to have teams outside of the big 5 league unless maybe Ajax or Porto once in a while.

I want to see the biggest team and the best players compete, i don't give a shit about promotion/relegation or every team, country getting a fair chance.

imo however flawed the ESL as a concept was far better the the current or future versions of the CL.

And yet half of those so called best teams didn't make it to the KO stages in the UCL LOOOL
They're only the "best teams" because of their exposure, not their actual quality on pitch.

Rephrase your statement to this: "I'd rather see the 20 best well known brand names in football play against each other than watching teams with lesser brands play."

stb_1

Then you are a greedy pig, Swiss, Ukranian, Hungarian and Denmark deserve to have the chance to win Europe's best competition.

Bulgroz

Then you are a greedy pig, Swiss, Ukranian, Hungarian and Denmark deserve to have the chance to win Europe's best competition.

"No they don't, it's much better to have Getafe and Everton there! They won't have a chance to win it either, but at least we can pronounce their names!"

MTL_Barca

arsenal might not lose every week. with the money everyone gets in the ESL, they can just as well hit the jackpot on 2-3 transfers and do good. promotion/relegation could be implemented down the road.

not all clubs could bypass UEFA at the start. but for sure, once the ESL was in place more and more clubs would want a part of it. and they could implement lower leagues.

of course it is all about money. isn't this the case now? do you think dinamo zagreb for example wants in the UCL for any other thing than the money and exposure it brings? even though they know full well that they are a sparing partner?

perez didn't do himself any favors by coming out with some of the ideas. but he is right in essence. clubs want to maximize their profits and the young crowd will be targeted.

fans are sheep that fall for anything. surprisingly no fan of city was outside the stadium when his club threw mega bucks at players or wanted to get messi on ludicrous salary. nowadays you can fool people pretty easily, look at brexit.

progress is inevitable and the super league will happen eventually. even UEFA got on the act and basically copied most of the idea.

The problem is that there would be the possibility of a club losing every single game with NO consequences, simply because they were in from the start. That kills the competition like we know it, no way around it. Sure football is already not fair because of financial situations, but the important difference is that so far (sadly CL plans taking a small sstep in that direction as well) there is no guarantee. Also a big problem is that obviously the clubs that are big right at this moment make that decision, but things could change. Schalke was a somewhat constant CL competitor for a time, now deep down at the last place of Bundesliga. Same could happen to other teams, 10 years ago nobody would've included Atletico or Dortmund in an closed elite league. That kind of gatekeeping kills the last bit of competitiveness and fair play that is left.

Are the sheep fans the same sheep that instantly threw a tantrum all over social media and even in person (at Chelsea for example)? If anything this whole thing shows that fans won't just accept anything. A lot, but not everything. And even the players aren't just brainless money hungry idiots. It crossed a line and it crossed it big time, that's how a billion euro project that was planned for a long time hilariously crashed in less then a week. Yes high level football is already full of greed and corruption and smaller teams have it harder, but that's not a good reason to just take the things that are already bad and make them 10x worse.

But who cares, the so called "progress" failed miserably so let's just move on. Maybe Perez can try again in a couple of years, if he's still around then. Already 74, so he must hurry to save football.

Last edited:

Joan

At most its once a year(PSG was in group stages with Bayern once, but thats an outlier).
There is still a significant diference between that, and have them play each other, say, 10 times a season.

How could they play 10 times a season in the proposed setup? You'd have a league stage and than KOs.

Joan

Btw., for people 'only' having problems with safe spots (not that I like them), it's kind of a point. Barca, Real, Atletico etc. don't really need them, but it makes the model sound and predictable. Investors don't like to gamble with biggest earners missing out.

Morten

Btw., for people 'only' having problems with safe spots (not that I like them), it's kind of a point. Barca, Real, Atletico etc. don't really need them, but it makes the model sound and predictable. Investors don't like to gamble with biggest earners missing out.

Yeah, we know thats the point of it.

Sure, Barca or Real are pretty much never going to miss out, but at least they have to put in a little bit of effort to make it, and who knows, at some point even a top club finds itself in real trouble(look no further than Milan and Arsenal).

How sad would it have been if Milan was included in CL when they were floating around mid-table in Serie A a few seasons ago? Not only would it be unmerited, but they would accomplish nothing, cause they simply werent good enough to be in the competition.

Would it have been better to have a failing Milan-side in the competition, over a side that was actually better at the time, and could compete in the tournament?

Last edited:

Porque

Yeah, most of the outrage with the safe spots is because Arsenal and Spurs are unlikely to qualify for the Champions League (Liverpool maybe also) while Leicester and West Ham are in the chase for the Money League.

To be honest it is a legitimate point.

Out of the CL revenue for clubs, 30% is awarded on the basis of a 10-year performance-based coefficient ranking and 15% to market pools. That's 45% of a tournament based on supposed meritocracy being distributed in majority to the elite clubs.

To be honest, if the SL is rejected by fans, I would have hoped to see it open a dialogue into the current CL being more equitable in team distribution and distribution of finances throughout the whole of Europe.

Imagine the fan outrage in England if the Premier League slot was reduced to 3 to give a guaranteed spot to Scotland, Spain's to 3 to guarantee a spot to Turkey and Italy to 3 for a guaranteed spot to Austria.

Then two seasons after 2 spots for more guaranteed spots across Europe.

Seems fair right? They would probably be supporting a Super League by then.

Last edited:

Laplacian

Yeah, most of the outrage with the safe spots is because Arsenal and Spurs are unlikely to qualify for the Champions League (Liverpool maybe also) while Leicester and West Ham are in the chase for the Money League.

To be honest it is a legitimate point.

Out of the CL revenue for clubs, 30% is awarded on the basis of a 10-year performance-based coefficient ranking and 15% to market pools. That's 45% of a tournament based on supposed meritocracy being distributed in majority to the elite clubs.

To be honest, if the SL is rejected by fans, I would have hoped to see it open a dialogue into the current CL being more equitable in team distribution and distribution of finances throughout the whole of Europe.

Imagine the fan outrage in England if the Premier League slot was reduced to 3 to give a guaranteed spot to Scotland, Spain's to 3 to guarantee a spot to Turkey and Italy to 3 for a guaranteed spot to Austria.

Then two seasons after 2 spots for more guaranteed spots across Europe.

Seems fair right? They would probably be supporting a Super League by then.

I would probably say it's best to enact strategies to strengthen weaker leagues before appointing a more egalitarian and merit based UCL format. You'd need radical changes though.

Say more prize money for the top teams, but in turn restricting player movement in the best leagues (like only 5 foreign players per clubs for example). Give out more transfer privileges and just in general lower barriers to entry in weaker leagues like the Dutch, Belgian, Turkish, Scandinavian and Austrian leagues. Big clubs make their big bucks, whereas smaller clubs get a better chance to sign more quality players.

It'd be hard to dodge those pesky EU employment/freedom of work laws though.

behindbrowneyes

This is far from over. Clubs tweeting they are out is one thing, being legally out another.

Chelsea and City started a wave of leaving because of the pressure in Britain and UEFA threatening to kick them out from current CL campaign. This whole thing will start again once current season is over if you ask me.

Home of Barca Fans