European Super League

Windhook

Last edited:

serghei

At least these clubs were pretty straightforward what their goals are. Uefa is even more greedy (doing not much else but living mostly of exactly those same clubs; and that's why I don't expect any serious punishments for them which Perez&Co. also know) but are hiding behind some saving the football BS premises.

And they're also against politics being involved in football except when they need them on their side like this time. I mean, in the end, Uefa might still "won" this battle (tbh I don't think there are really winners in all of this besides Nasser, lol) but nothing would be resolved in 24 hours without Boris Johnson and other governments. Čeferin has admitted as much himself.

Yes, Perez and Agnelli (mostly them if we're looking for invididuals) are looking very bad at the moment and Uefa is a winner in public eyes but for me they've just proven their hipocrisy once again.

Hey, if it were me, I'd have the Champions League as a 15 team league competition between the top 15 league champions + knockout playoff. Or straight up condensed knockout games from beginning to end until only 1 is left. Fuck with everyone else. Win the league if you want in, it's called Champions league, not runner-ups and 3rd places leagues. Big up Europa League for the rest. The old format of CL (league winners battling it out, best of the best) + Cup Winners Cup (cup winners battling it out) + UEFA Cup (the non-winners battling it up) was the best by far.

The idea that the champions of different countries get together to decide who is the champions of champions is the whole "greater meaning" of CL, that is the thing that sets it apart as "THE special competition" it's made to be. But, with time, it got so different, that nowadays it's a money thing, the initial idea that made it great is buried somewhere. It's all money and marketing, nice songs, big sponsors, not much else.

So, as long as it's not that competition, for me, CL is a different variety of shit. From slightly shit, to super-smelly shit. And this ESL proposal, as it was presented, is the super-smelly shit that stinks the whole office.

Laplacian

Agreed. UCL needs a huge fucking overhaul and the new format is dogshit. Let's hope we can use the momentum from the ESL fiasco to inspire some sporting changes.

Bulgroz

The old C1-C2-C3 was by far the best. But it got ruined by big teams butthurt that they weren't able to compete in the best competition "simply" because they didn't win their domestic league (and teams wanting more money from broadcasters/broadcasters wanting more games to cash on). Most C1 evolutions since then are just more of the same. And ESL was an ever worse evolution of it.

Andresito

Staff member
Hey, if it were me, I'd have the Champions League as a 15 team league competition between the top 15 league champions + knockout playoff. Or straight up condensed knockout games from beginning to end until only 1 is left. Fuck with everyone else. Win the league if you want in, it's called Champions league, not runner-ups and 3rd places leagues. Big up Europa League for the rest. The old format of CL (league winners battling it out, best of the best) + Cup Winners Cup (cup winners battling it out) + UEFA Cup (the non-winners battling it up) was the best by far.

The idea that the champions of different countries get together to decide who is the champions of champions is the whole "greater meaning" of CL, that is the thing that sets it apart as "THE special competition" it's made to be. But, with time, it got so different, that nowadays it's a money thing, the initial idea that made it great is buried somewhere. It's all money and marketing, nice songs, big sponsors, not much else.

So, as long as it's not that competition, for me, CL is a different variety of shit. From slightly shit, to super-smelly shit. And this ESL proposal, as it was presented, is the super-smelly shit that stinks the whole office.

That would be so boring though. Imagine next years if tables finished now. Lille, City, Bayern, Atletico, Inter and the rest. Who would watch that.

I'd like a tournament/league with Europe's 20 current best teams. Kind of like ESL but where you qualify.

If you have 4-5 teams each from England and Spain, only the top 2-3 get an auto spot, others have to qualify. This can be against league winners from Turkey, Ukraine and other lesser nations. Maybe 10 teams directly qualify, 10 qualify through knockouts.

10 teams with direct places through table position:
2 England
2 Spain
France
Germany
Italy
Portugal
Netherlands
Russia or w/e league has highest coefficient

Then you can have a big amount of teams playing in qualifiers through EC/WC style groups, 1 game per opponent.
League winners in smaller nations and non-winners from biggest leagues.

Goal is to get the 20 best teams into the final tournament.

Last edited:

behindbrowneyes

[tw]1385212695553654793[/tw]
[tw]1385212697835409409[/tw]

Basically its a necessity for Barcelona to take part as it would help us financially, but the socios will have the last word. Doubt the result of a vote will be a no-brainer as fans think, taking the financial part into consideration.

Windhook

The old C1-C2-C3 format was the real deal, but the expansion of Champions League and big money pulled the plug on Cup Winners Cup. Even nowadays clubs participate in Europa League solely on the CL spot the winner gets.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Ezj9fHTWQAAqpsO

Sorin

Pique out there schooling fools left and right, exposing Flo's shady ass to the world. You love to see it.

Porque

Pique forgot the line about if FC Andorra we're offered a spot he would take it.

He is right though in the long term potential effects of the ESL. But it is no different to the consumption of the rest of Europe's football eco-system over the past 20 years.

malvolio

I guess it all depends on what you expect from a major competition. If all you want is to only see Barca - Bayern or Real - City all year long, then it's all great. I know I wouldn't care much for a thing like that, and I'd rather see games that are a bit exotic. And if your complaint is that "exotic teams are trash", then the solution to that is a better wealth distribution, so that other teams get a fair shot too. Not an even worse distribution (which is what ESL was about, let's face it).

There's a reason why WC is so loved all around the world btw. It's not because the best teams are facing each other. As Newcomer pointed out, NT football is very rarely on par with club football. The reason why everyone gets so hyped about WC is its rarity. You only get to see an important game between Italy and Brazil one every 4 years at best. Do people here really think everybody's going to be super hyped up about the 15th Bayern-Real in a year?

we kind of have real vs bayern, barca vs psg, liverpool vs real right now, every year.

what's exotic in seeing psg play basaksehir? the fact that one team doesn't even bother while the other is just there to cash some money and receive a spanking? even the tv audience is not great for such a game.

of course i would like for better distribution, but put the small/medium teams in a league of their own so they compete for something. not be there to fill numbers so that the big boys look good.

WC is different, because it is rare and because of the patriotic element to it. so not a good comparison.

i say it again - let the free market run its course and we'll see what happens. if people get bored or not.

Mitchell1978

10 teams with direct places through table position:
2 England
2 Spain
France
Germany
Italy
Portugal
Netherlands
Russia or w/e league has highest coefficient

Then you can have a big amount of teams playing in qualifiers through EC/WC style groups, 1 game per opponent.
League winners in smaller nations and non-winners from biggest leagues.

Goal is to get the 20 best teams into the final tournament.

If the goal is to get the best 20 teams into a league or tournament then you are not going to have teams outside of the big 5 league unless maybe Ajax or Porto once in a while.

I want to see the biggest team and the best players compete, i don't give a shit about promotion/relegation or every team, country getting a fair chance.
I don't want to see Basel, Donetsk, Ferencvaros or Kopenhagen.

imo however flawed the ESL as a concept was far better the the current or future versions of the CL.

Morten

we kind of have real vs bayern, barca vs psg, liverpool vs real right now, every year.

what's exotic in seeing psg play basaksehir? the fact that one team doesn't even bother while the other is just there to cash some money and receive a spanking? even the tv audience is not great for such a game.

of course i would like for better distribution, but put the small/medium teams in a league of their own so they compete for something. not be there to fill numbers so that the big boys look good.

WC is different, because it is rare and because of the patriotic element to it. so not a good comparison.

i say it again - let the free market run its course and we'll see what happens. if people get bored or not.

At most its once a year(PSG was in group stages with Bayern once, but thats an outlier).
There is still a significant diference between that, and have them play each other, say, 10 times a season.

Home of Barca Fans