European Super League

soul24rage

Probably thinking that the ESL will soon be like a one big ass European league with all the European teams competing with promotion and relegation added on.

For example: ESL 1 consisting of the best 20 European teams, ESL 2 will contain the next best 20 European teams and so on.

Hardy

The Champions League and Europa League have been cancelled temporarily? twitter exploding about this but don't find any confirm

AzaR

And? Sign them for what? For European MLS where no one relegates and you have an automatic place every year? And than, what is thwe point of european leagues anymore? Let's bplay 100 El Clasico games per year, because that surely will increase the stature of the game.

You'll have the already rich football teams with an additional 400 million a year - An additional 400 million to go and raid players that don't play in the European Super League where the teams cant get relegated. It dilutes the idea of the 'Elite European Competition' and creates a greater divide in the wealth between the 12 breakoff teams and those not deemed special or rich enough to be gifted a spot. This is gonna trickle down and effect a lot of clubs.

Jadentheman

This is an embarrassing point of view and frankly, completely misunderstanding the spirit of football and Barcelona FC. We are a club built by the people, for the people. We are also not built unilaterally. All of La Liga helped to build Barcelona, just as they did Real/Atleti and other historic clubs in Spain. This is a slap in the face for them, for the founders of our great club and most of all to our fans.

You may prefer soulless glamour ties every week but I'll pass on that. I'll stop watching and supporting Barcelona if they continue down this route.

Your opinion is the same as Gary Neville. This is a slap in the face to the big football clubs that have a century plus of history, pedigree, and dedicated fans growing their clubs to be the current international forces they are today.

On the flip side this is what capitalism gets you. Our world is global and the global sport with 24/7 cycle of the internet and instant connectivity across the world demands something different. These aren?t local clubs anymore they are international. And the setup that this league proposes maximizes the international appeal while at the same time will demand record viewership and sales across the globe.

It all depends on what you see.

Daniele

Yeah,but there’s only a false sense of equality in the CL and in the domestic leagues.

The big clubs have grown so rich and powerful that they attract all talent to them,whether by transfers or at their academies.No other teams can challenge them.

When was the last time a small team won the CL?Maybe Monaco in 2004?

so what?
since football is shit then let's make it even more unfair and shit?
where's the logic ??
The event that most represented the sense of football in recent years was the victory of Leicester in Premiere.
The demonstration of the magic of football, against money, boredom, predictability of the rich who eats everything.
This thing they are about to do will prevent another "Leicester" from existing.
It will probably be a fatal blow to this sport;
certainly on a symbolic level it means abandoning the hope that the shitty things, which have been taking over this game in recent decades, can be cleaned up.
This thing will only appeal to fans of playstation football.
I hope that 50% of those who love football and its poetry won't watch it anymore

JamDav1982

You'll have the already rich football teams with an additional 400 million a year - An additional 400 million to go and raid players that don't play in the European Super League where the teams cant get relegated. It dilutes the idea of the 'Elite European Competition' and creates a greater divide in the wealth between the 12 breakoff teams and those not deemed special or rich enough to be gifted a spot. This is gonna trickle down and effect a lot of clubs.

The 400m is not annual.

El Gato

Villarato!
15 teams will have a place every single year.

Bum ass Arsenal could finish last, but a team like Ajax would get relegated or not qualify for next year even if they finish in front of them.

This obviously isn't the long term plan. Can't have a team 100% guaranteed a spot through founder status. If they say teams will qualify, one must assume they will provide a mechanism for relegation. Makes no sense otherwise

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
This obviously isn't the long term plan. Can't have a team 100% guaranteed a spot through founder status. If they say teams will qualify, one must assume they will provide a mechanism for relegation. Makes no sense otherwise

No.

The long-term plan is literally to have the founding members, 15 in total, to have a guaranteed place.

It's the NBA-fication of European Football.

Hardy

Raiola must know about this already, now I understand why he's asking crazy money for Holland and Donnarumma

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Apparently, clubs get €400m for playing in ESL. That’s a fucking big amount.

Barca fans should be extremely happy that we gain massive amount of money.

It gives us better opportunity to continue pay Messi's wages and sign Mbappe or Haaland.

We get more than that from the matchday (around 150-160m) and broadcasting (around 300m) by participating in the current system of La Liga and the CL. The 400m figure is in USD, not euro, I believe.

I am not sure how much more money we will get from playing in the ESL, if actually more at all.

KingLeo10

We get more than that from the matchday (around 150-160m) and broadcasting (around 300m) by participating in the current system of La Liga and the CL. The 400m figure is in USD, not euro, I believe.

I am not sure how much more money we will get from playing in the ESL, if actually more at all.

we're not going to get kicked out of La Liga. calma.

bismp

so what?
since football is shit then let's make it even more unfair and shit?
where's the logic ??
The event that most represented the sense of football in recent years was the victory of Leicester in Premiere.
The demonstration of the magic of football, against money, boredom, predictability of the rich who eats everything.
This thing they are about to do will prevent another "Leicester" from existing.
It will probably be a fatal blow to this sport;
certainly on a symbolic level it means abandoning the hope that the shitty things, which have been taking over this game in recent decades, can be cleaned up.
This thing will only appeal to fans of playstation football.
I hope that 50% of those who love football and its poetry won't watch it anymore

There is no “poetry” in football for the last 20 years or so,with the few exceptions of Leicester etc.

Home of Barca Fans