Europa League

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
No away goals rule in extra time seems fair. If it's an aggregate draw after 180 minutes and one side has more away goals then fair enough. Extra time should wipe it out IMO.

PaulFCB

Banned
No away goals rule in extra time seems fair. If it's an aggregate draw after 180 minutes and one side has more away goals then fair enough. Extra time should wipe it out IMO.

So the team playing the 2nd leg at home has now a clear advantage: In case of ET 1 goal for them = 1 goal for the other team but with all the comfort and support from fans by playing at home?
Not to mention, in 90% of the cases, they will be the team advantaged by the result, example: Inter v. Tottenham, Inter had home turf + the better form today buuut, not the away goal protection ... so yeah, I think it's fair to keep it in extra time.

PaulFCB

Banned
Malaga a comeback? Just a 1-0, let's say if Porto had 2-0 in the 1st leg or they would've won 1-0 in Malaga in the 1st leg it could be counted as one.

Zenit failed too lets say...

Banana-Rama

So the team playing the 2nd leg at home has now a clear advantage: In case of ET 1 goal for them = 1 goal for the other team but with all the comfort and support from fans by playing at home?
Not to mention, in 90% of the cases, they will be the team advantaged by the result, example: Inter v. Tottenham, Inter had home turf + the better form today buuut, not the away goal protection ... so yeah, I think it's fair to keep it in extra time.

better yet get rid of the away goals rule altogether, it does not benefit football in any way, what is wrong with having to score more goals then the other team to go through, a team should not get eliminated for scoring the same number of goals as the opposition...

XaviMessiGirl

I guess that makes sense, I didn't think of it that way. Still a shame Inter went out with the game they played today though, but I guess that's what happens when you play like utter shit the first leg.

Blaugrana dude

Malaga a comeback? Just a 1-0, let's say if Porto had 2-0 in the 1st leg or they would've won 1-0 in Malaga in the 1st leg it could be counted as one.

Zenit failed too lets say...

I'd say it is a comeback considering Malaga had to overturn that deficit and also because Porto was pretty dominant in the first leg. But your right that Porto's 1-0 lead was not as insurmountable as lets say Milan or Bayern's.

desoe

Palacio looks like a really capable winger to me. I remember few years ago we were always just about to sign him from Boca, but it just never happened.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Funny you say that, I was thinking the same desoe...Palacio looks like he's a very capable forward/winger in Europe...Amazing to realize he's already 31 years old, felt like we were linked to him for nearly a decade now

F

Flavia

Draw for the quarters:

Quarter-finals-4 and 11 April

QF 1
Chelsea(ENG) v Rubin Kazan(RUS)

QF 2
Tottenham(ENG) v Basel(SUI)

QF 3
Fenerbahçe(TUR) v Lazio(ITA)

QF 4
Benfica(POR) v Newcastle(ENG)

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
So I take QF1 winner vs. QF2 winner and so on?

If so, then ugh, I hate playing other English sides in European competition. I want to play other teams. Like in the CL, I always want Barca! LOL.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Oh so it's not like the CL. That's alright. Hopefully if Chelsea somehow make the final we play a non-English side. Lazio or Benfica would be nice.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Results:-

Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle

Chelsea 3 - 1 Rubin Kazan

Fenerbache 1 - 0 Lazio

Spurs 2 - 2 Basel

I still think Newcy have a decent chance to go through, however the must score the first goal in the 2nd leg or its good bye to them. Chelsea just need an away goal and they'd be 99% through. Spurs-Basel is a tough one to call because even though Basle are strong at home, Spurs have the pace and counter attacking ability to hit them. Even with Bale's injury they have the weapons to score in Basle. Although I'd give Basle the slight edge 55-45. As for Lazio and Fenerbache, I expect Lazio to win the 2nd leg and should go through, but you never know.

As things stand I'd say Benfica, Chelsea, Lazio are probably going to the semis with the other game to close to call (Yes even though Lazio lost the first leg I fancy their chances to reaching the semis higher than Basel or Spurs).

I actually fancy Chelsea to win the whole thing. I'd like to see a Chelsea-Lazio final.

Home of Barca Fans