Erling Haaland

fergus90

I think Haaland would go to Real Madrid if he could, but Benzema’s form is too good to make him a priority signing for them.
Mbappe is enough for them at this point.

More of a timing issue than anything. I can imagine Man City to Real Madrid would be his ideal choice provided his injuries hold up for him.

khaled_a_d

Few folks would remember those days, but in 2000 Gaspart (new president, and club vice president for 22 years) has claimed Barcelona is the club of the century because it is the club where the likes of Maradona, Crujif, Romario & Ronaldo played. So if the greatest players ever have played for us then we are the best.
Was stupid claim by one of the worst presidents we ever had for sure, that being said it says a lot about the club legacy, history and even ideology.
Folks claiming we should "do it as Liverpool and Bayern" have a point for sure, they are the modern model. But this isn't what the culers and socios aim for. There is a burden and consequence of the long history of the stars.
That is the reason we have been trying to get Halaand, the reason we gave Fati 10 and tried to promote him as the next star.
The club has been unlucky tbf, as Fati had so much potential in being top 5 player and face of the team, but injuries ruined him and this happened few years after treble mega failures of Dembele/Griezmann/Coutinho.

Smart thing will be avoiding big signing attacker, get someone cheap if Xavi insists but a very likely scenario is that we will feel the pressure and will look at a new poster boy even if old one

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Few folks would remember those days, but in 2000 Gaspart (new president, and club vice president for 22 years) has claimed Barcelona is the club of the century because it is the club where the likes of Maradona, Crujif, Romario & Ronaldo played. So if the greatest players ever have played for us then we are the best.
Was stupid claim by one of the worst presidents we ever had for sure, that being said it says a lot about the club legacy, history and even ideology.
Folks claiming we should "do it as Liverpool and Bayern" have a point for sure, they are the modern model. But this isn't what the culers and socios aim for. There is a burden and consequence of the long history of the stars.
That is the reason we have been trying to get Halaand, the reason we gave Fati 10 and tried to promote him as the next star.
The club has been unlucky tbf, as Fati had so much potential in being top 5 player and face of the team, but injuries ruined him and it this happened few years after treble mega failures of Dembele/Griezmann/Coutinho.

Smart thing will be avoiding big signing attacker, get someone cheap if Xavi insists but the a very likely scenario is that we will feel the pressure and will look at a new poster boy even if old one

Considering Xavi insisted on Morata I would rather not give him what he wants. He got Ferran, he should find an ideal role for him first.

Time for Alemany, Cruyff and everyone else to get to work.

serghei

I agree about Barca being a club built towards having superstars to drive the team, but the addition of oil clubs and associated inflation force you to rethink your model. What used to work prior to popular players costing 150m+ is not going to work now.

The worst thing we can do is chase some big-money poster boy and land a new impostor like Coutinho and Dembele. Which could very well be Lautaro.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Considering Xavi insisted on Morata I would rather not give him what he wants. He got Ferran, he should find an ideal role for him first.

Time for Alemany, Cruyff and everyone else to get to work.

Sure, the SD needs to step up in such situations.
I am talking mainly about position tbh.
I would prefer a 10M loan for Morata than 100M for Salah, though would take 50M for Salah over Morata tbh.

I agree about Barca being a club built towards having superstars to drive the team, but the addition of oil clubs and associated inflation force you to rethink your model. What used to work prior to popular players costing 150m+ is not going to work now.

The worst thing we can do is chase some big-money poster boy and land a new impostor like Coutinho and Dembele. Which could very well be Lautaro.

Nah, oil club change nothing.
If anything, it drives ego bigger and make clubs more star oriented in the market, as we have seen with Bartou's.
I personally agree that we should be cautious and don't splash money for sake of poster boy. The Werner/Schick/Leao are hopeful indication in that regard despite underwhelming names.
Lautauro would be nightmare and so is Isak.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I agree with Sergei that we shouldn?t go for a poster boy, but I also agree with Khaled that given the history of the club, and particularly because of the economic crisis we have and Laporta needs someone to elevate our brand power and give us a boost, we will most likely try to spend big on some relatively big name (no idea who) but will probably fail miserably in the end like Coutinho/Griezmann and Dembele did.

serghei

If anything, it drives ego bigger and make clubs more star oriented in the market, as we have seen with Bartou's.
I personally agree that we should be cautious and don't splash money for sake of poster boy. The Werner/Schick/Leao are hopeful indication in that regard despite underwhelming names.

Oil clubs make selling clubs get more money by splashing hundreds of millions in the market. One player goes for 222m, cash is spilled in the market at this unprecedented level, suddenly every club sitting on some talent drives the price up by a lot.

The more money goes around, the more expensive things get. It's basically inflation. When you have buyers willing to pay hundreds of millions for players, the selling clubs simply have angles they didn't have before.

JamDav1982

Guessed from outset Barca would not sign him and the narrative would be 'Haaland wanted to come but Barca couldnt quite afford it' in order to save face.

Temptation

Sure, the SD needs to step up in such situations.
I am talking mainly about position tbh.
I would prefer a 10M loan for Morata than 100M for Salah, though would take 50M for Salah over Morata tbh.

The thing is a bunch of big clubs have to take a gamble on the Schiks, Isaaks and Leaos because most of the promising young players belong to that hit or miss category.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Spitballin? here: since we might take the L on Haaland:

3DDCD43D-0A6D-4745-933C-27ACEEBD6BA1.jpg

- He isnt perfect but he has demonstrated class at the highest level, consistently despite the West Ham spell
- In terms of player profile, he is the only one who can offer similar things that we want in Haaland with a similar sort of consistency, especially when compared to other names
- At 27, he is going into his prime years and his time at Ajax could make the adjustment to our football viable

Rather take a gamble on him than splash ridiculous money at someone like Lukaku or Lautaro. Otherwise, just get the backline sorted this summer.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
To be honest I'll rather roll with the group we have now with Auba leading the line for another season and then see what's out there in 2023. Doubt Ajax let Haller leave for less than 30-40m and I don't know if I want to gamble that on him.

They should focus on Dembele's replacement and improving the LB and GK situations instead. That should be the bare minimum expectations.

Birdy

The club has been unlucky tbf, as Fati had so much potential in being top 5 player and face of the team, but injuries ruined him and this happened few years after treble mega failures of Dembele/Griezmann/Coutinho.

Smart thing will be avoiding big signing attacker, get someone cheap if Xavi insists but a very likely scenario is that we will feel the pressure and will look at a new poster boy even if old one

Well, I don't give a fuck about what socios want.
Maybe after years of 'corruption' of Barca ideology, they see the 'Galactico' policy (which is a Madritista ideology through and through) as desired.

Well, the answer is that it shouldn't be desired, as it's not the most effective (the most effective is highest returns policy: hence Liverpool's and Bayern's), and it goes AGAINST club's ideology traditionally.

Is this not the duty of a club leader and hierarchy? To educate also the public about the right/wrong?
RAther than cave in - like a good politician - to demands that are hurting the club AND do not comply with club's ideology?

Start with the example of the best Barca of the century: tell them that Pep booted the Galacticos (Ronnie, Eto'o, Deco) and build with hard-work and Masia soldiers

Raketa10

Se we are out of the race for Haaland? :(

I only hope we won't try to bring some old players like Lewa or Salah. Either of those two would cost unbelievable amount of money and both will be done in a season or two. I won't even mention the likes of Lukaku or Lacazette. Signing either of those two would be stupid as it gets.

I sincerely hope if we can't bring Halland that we will just save the money or buy someone young with high potential.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans