Daniel Alves

Icarium

Lifestealer
There is no chance of him extending his contract. Zubi said it clearly. Douglas and Montoya as our RB is really troubling thought. But at lease we can sign in 2016.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Why? Wage demands too high?

Hope Montoya steps up. Or that a miracle happens with Douglas...

Mostly his high wages. They wanted to sell him this season. But no club showed interest.

Zubizarreta (sports director): "There's a clause to extend Alves' contract? His contract expires in 2015, there are no clauses."

Afro

Although it's not ideal for the team, it's probably right for Alves to move on. I actually think he's looked a bit more livelier in the opening two games under Lucho but I agree with what others have said - his insistence on crossing is just stupid.

I hope he goes back to Bahia, seems like it'd be a good way for him to finish off his career, and it would give the Campeonato a bit of a boost.

Zangash

Banned
I don't understand why nobody has any faith in Montoya. As far as defensive contribution goes it couldn't possibly get much worse than Alves so it's not like we'd be sacrificing much on that aspect, and as far as offensive contributions go Alves is only good when he's not crossing, which at this point has turned into his only attacking instinct. If we're able to win games with a RB who scarcely defends and constantly wastes our possession whenever possible I don't see how we wouldn't be able to win with Montoya, or even Douglas, in that position as well.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Except those shit crosses from Dani he is still far more better player than Montoya offensively. And for barca you need attacking fullbacks. Montoya has to improve on that sector otherwise we would have one less player to build up. Dani is a key part for our system, all the hate is because of shit crosses and zero defensive effort. Douglas suits barca more than Montoya if what everyone saying about him is true. Montoya is talented, good in defense but not so much in attack. He always takes one touch extra and he does not have energy and stamina Dani used to have. He can be a great backup player but we need a player like alves. We got one but the difference is quality is too much that playing Montoya is better.

Tomchin

Except those shit crosses from Dani he is still far more better player than Montoya offensively. And for barca you need attacking fullbacks. Montoya has to improve on that sector otherwise we would have one less player to build up. Dani is a key part for our system, all the hate is because of shit crosses and zero defensive effort. Douglas suits barca more than Montoya if what everyone saying about him is true. Montoya is talented, good in defense but not so much in attack. He always takes one touch extra and he does not have energy and stamina Dani used to have. He can be a great backup player but we need a player like alves. We got one but the difference is quality is too much that playing Montoya is better.
Also, those shit crosses often lead to danger, also if they arrive in the wrong place. Eg at Stamford Bridge, one of Alves' wooful crosses led to the Iniestazo.

serghei

I don't understand why nobody has any faith in Montoya. As far as defensive contribution goes it couldn't possibly get much worse than Alves so it's not like we'd be sacrificing much on that aspect

Montoya doesn't play that much because he is a player with limited offensive capabilities. In my opinion, that's the cold hard truth about him. That being said, I don't mind him playing vs Eibar or Granada at home for example, or in the lesser Copa games.

serghei

Also, those shit crosses often lead to danger, also if they arrive in the wrong place. Eg at Stamford Bridge, one of Alves' wooful crosses led to the Iniestazo.

:lol: woeful cross. That cross was excellent.

iniesta-o.gif

Zangash

Banned
Montoya doesn't play that much because he is a player with limited offensive capabilities. In my opinion, that's the cold hard truth about him. That being said, I don't mind him playing vs Eibar or Granada at home for example, or in the lesser Copa games.

We put such a heavy emphasis on attacking that our defenders can't play because they don't attack enough.

Abidal was very limited in attacking prowess and he got on just fine. In fact, at one point we used him as our LB and we didn't have two full auto attacking fullbacks, as foreign as that may sound at this point.

Icarium

Lifestealer
His crosses result in possession turn overs too. Some 20 odd great passes and then one dani alves high cross to some imaginary giant. My frustration reaches peak at that time. No player frustrates me as much as him. Villarreal gave him so much space because they know he crosses when he gets space and they all know how they will result into. Montoya is still very weak offensively, if douglas is really talented (one can dream) then montoya won't start. But hard to see that happen. Some Brazilian can not just walk into starting 11 of biggest club in the world. If he does that it means miracles do happen.

Mostly his high wages. They wanted to sell him this season. But no club showed interest.

Zubizarreta (sports director): "There's a clause to extend Alves' contract? His contract expires in 2015, there are no clauses."

Well, I can see the logic in selling him if we had a good replacement. But we don't. So we should keep him. At least until 2016 when we can buy a replacement.

Icarium

Lifestealer
We put such a heavy emphasis on attacking that our defenders can't play because they don't attack enough.

Abidal was very limited in attacking prowess and he got on just fine. In fact, at one point we used him as our LB and we didn't have two full auto attacking fullbacks, as foreign as that may sound at this point.

Those were the days when teams did not park as much as they does now. You need as many players you can offer to break the bus. We have pique as one of the defenders, that is the problem otherwise 2 attacking fullbacks is always better against teams who park and now a days every team parks against barca.

Home of Barca Fans