Champions League Final 2009: FC Barcelona vs ManUtd: Champions of Europe!

alexjanosik

The Game
The thing is we dont have a squad as strong as yours.
United can have 3,4 players missing from their starting 11 through injury and still come up with an 11 as strong as before.
We dont have the same squad depth.
We simply dont have quality to replace quality.

O

oyetunde

pep's lack of experince is going 2 cost us the CL, iniesta's injury is totaly his fault 4 not resting players. now he may av to use those same players he felt wer not good for for villareal against united in the CL final, karma baby :bash:
the only good news is that he will never make such stupid choices again:banghead:

if i am right alves is going to miss the final and puyol missed chelsea away cause he refussed to rest players away to bayern when 4-0 up
now i have totaly given up winning the CL, all i ask 4 is that we do not get hit for 4 or some terrible scoreline :banghead:

United

I think these are just mind games/smokescreen from Barca. Both Iniesta and Henry might end up playing in the final.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Not a smokescreen, these injuries are genuine. although i think they both will play.

but let's just wait till further news on iniesta reaches us today. The only ones that are not going to play for sure are Alves, Abidal and Fletcher. I don't know about injuries on the Manxchester side.

maz

I walk the line
pep's lack of experince is going 2 cost us the CL, iniesta's injury is totaly his fault 4 not resting players. now he may av to use those same players he felt wer not good for for villareal against united in the CL final, karma baby :bash:
the only good news is that he will never make such stupid choices again:banghead:

if i am right alves is going to miss the final and puyol missed chelsea away cause he refussed to rest players away to bayern when 4-0 up
now i have totaly given up winning the CL, all i ask 4 is that we do not get hit for 4 or some terrible scoreline :banghead:
And what about us getting to the final? Do u blame pep for that? Or how about being 1 point away from winning the league with 9 points to play for. Or being in the copa del rey final? Or giving the squad more heart than i've ever seen them have.

Puyol missed chelsea because he was suspended. Nothing to do with injury. We conceded 1 goal over 120 minutes..our defence hardly sucked with the absence of puyi. Anyway, had puyol been rested for the chelsea home game (why would pep have done that??) we would have played him at CB against chelsea away and he probably would have got a yellow and we'd be missing rafa, puyol, alves and abidal for the final.

Did u also want pep to rest alves for the chelsea second leg? The guy that put the ball into the box for our equaliser?

United

Hargreaves and Brown are out for the season for us. Both are first team players and are a big loss to us. Especially Hargreaves, his presence in the midfield would have helped us immensely in containing the threat of Xavi and Iniesta. But they were out for virtually the whole of the season anyway.

Rio Ferdinand missed the Manchester derby due an injury. I don't think it's anything serious, he'll probably play in the next game. As it stands now, we don't have much injury problems barring Hargreaves and Brown.

maz

I walk the line
Our (possible) absentees:

alves
abidal
iniesta
henry
márquez

If you compare that to the man utd squad its similar to having the following out:

alves--> o'shea? (this was a tough one..there isnt a player in your squad that is similar to alves, but oshea is most likely for your RB position so i chose him)
abidal-->evra (self explanatory)
iniesta-->ronaldo (i chose ronaldo because he is your most in-form player at the moment, just as iniesta was ours)
henry-->rooney (henry is the player that while he scores goals has also begun to sacrifice himself for the team. Drops back when needed, sets up goals etc. Also the energy he gives the rest of the squad when he plays well is similar to the energy rooney gives his man utd teammates)
rafa-->wes brown (perhaps most culés will kill me for this comparison, but its the most applicable because piqué is our best CB and is comparable to vidic/rio, but puyol and rafa haven't had excellent seasons. They have been solid at times, but its more a case of who partners piqué at the back..similar to wes brown in that when one of rio or vidic is out, wes brown would be a replacement).

It would be interesting to see united fans say what their starting line up would be given that they cannot choose o'shea, evra, ronaldo, rooney or wes brown. I would want to see how it compares to the lineup we'd have to put out if the above absentees are confirmed..

Your absentees are:

fletcher-->busquets (i really rate busquets and find when played as a CM as opposed to a DM he is really effective. Does a similar job to fletcher in that he gets around alot and keeps the engine running even as it gets towards the end of the match).

maz

I walk the line
Yes but i didnt choose him or hargreaves because they have been out all season and both squads have had to cope without them both.

Jaumet

All round Nice Guy
Whoever plays for us, we will be hard to beat... We still have a good chance to win, but we are definately UNDERDOG now.. No pressure! If we win WHOOPDIFUCKINGDOO

Heath Newton

alves
abidal
iniesta
henry
márquez

alves--> o'shea? (this was a tough one..there isnt a player in your squad that is similar to alves, but oshea is most likely for your RB position so i chose him)
iniesta-->ronaldo (i chose ronaldo because he is your most in-form player at the moment, just as iniesta was ours)
henry-->rooney (henry is the player that while he scores goals has also begun to sacrifice himself for the team. Drops back when needed, sets up goals etc. Also the energy he gives the rest of the squad when he plays well is similar to the energy rooney gives his man utd teammates)
It would be interesting to see united fans say what their starting line up would be given that they cannot choose o'shea, evra, ronaldo, rooney or wes brown. I would want to see how it compares to the lineup we'd have to put out if the above absentees are confirmed..

i think our line up without those players would be

VDS
rafael
vidic
ferdinand
fabio
fletcher
carrick
scholes
park
tevez
berbatov

which would suffice in quite a few games,imo,but the "difference makers" (ronaldo/rooney) being out would obviously take it's toll,but to what degree we'll never know i guess.
remember,the year keane cabbaged himself,and the year of cantona's suspension,we only lost the league by a point both times so maybe the cover's there and it's literally just the odd point that you lose in the long run.....:unsure:

and tbh,i think although the positional comparison is right with henry,that you've got to regard our Roo n Ron as the equivalent to your Messi n Iniesta cos they're the 2 most influential players atm.

United

alves
abidal
iniesta
henry
márquez

If you compare that to the man utd squad its similar to having the following out:

This I agree. O'Shea is nowhere near as good a right back as Alves in terms of attacking. Defending, I'd say both are about the same. So if we were to lose O'shea and Barca were to lose Alves, you'd be the biggest losers.

Evra is a better player than Abidal. In this scenario, we'd be the biggest losers.

I think Iniesta is a great player. But to compare him with Ronaldo? Well that's just unacceptable in my view. The only player that can be compared to Ronlado in Leo Messi. I disagree.

This also I disagree. Wayne Rooney is much more important to us than Thierry Henry is to you. Rooney's presence in the squad is even more vital than Ronaldo's. Wayne Rooney IS Manchester United. His footballing ability is not the only thing we'll be missing, his presence on the pitch is inspirational to the rest of the squad. He is a true team player that plays anywhere on the pitch for the team.

rafa-->wes brown (perhaps most culés will kill me for this comparison, but its the most applicable because piqué is our best CB and is comparable to vidic/rio, but puyol and rafa haven't had excellent seasons. They have been solid at times, but its more a case of who partners piqué at the back..similar to wes brown in that when one of rio or vidic is out, wes brown would be a replacement).

I agree.

Your absentees are:

fletcher-->busquets (i really rate busquets and find when played as a CM as opposed to a DM he is really effective. Does a similar job to fletcher in that he gets around alot and keeps the engine running even as it gets towards the end of the match).

Answers in red.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Guys it`s not the lack of Pep`s experience (although he is late with the subs sometimes). It`s the lack of depth. Pep was dealt the same/weaker cards than Rijkaard had.
Just look at what Txiki bought for almost 40 mil. Hleb and Caceres. Both players that are used less than Pedro and Vasquez (both youth players for you Mancs here).
There simply isn`t enough cover, especially for Xavi and Iniesta.

United

This is my comparison.

If these players from the respective teams we to miss the final,

Alves=> O'shea (Advantage United)

Abidal=> Evra (Advatage Barca)

Iniesta=> Tbh, there are no comparable players. I'd like to say either Berbatov or Tevez but in both cases, it would be advantage United as Iniesta in much more important to Barca than Berbatov or Tevez is to us.

Henry=> Same as Iniesta but not that big of an advantage to United.

Frankly, I think both Iniesta and Henry will play.

Home of Barca Fans