Champions League 2022/2023

Who will win the CL?

• Total voters

BBZ8800

Bayern have historically fallen short just as much as they've won though. Even in the Schweinsteiger era I remember them losing away to BATE Borisov, almost bottling the tie to a piss poor Arsenal 0-2 , losing in their own stadium to that Chelsea side etc.

They went from 1977-2001 without winning a CL and even blew a 1-0 lead in the 90th minute with Effenburg as captain during the 99 final.

In 07 they were celebrating like crazy because they drew 3-3 and made a comback in the Uefa cup against Getafe.

They current team definitely lack a striker and presence in the box, but it wasn't like they created no chances. Coman, Sane etc were wasteful, Mane missed a sitter. They aren't miles off the likes of City and have definitely had much worse teams.

They were always losing some silly matches, just like any top team.

Maybe I am romanticizing the past, but the same as how Barca today is not what it used to be 10-15 years ago, imo, it applies equally to Bayern.

For example, if we take an era from 1998-2013, look at the number of CL finals:
5 Bayern
4 Man Utd
3 Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan
2 Juventus, Liverpool, Chelsea

2014 till today:
5 Real Madrid
3 Liverpool
2 Atletico, Juventus
1 Barca, Bayern, Psg, Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham

You may ask why I have picked 1998-2013 era? Well, it's subjective but that is where in my opinion, Bayern was always a force.
Barca and Real won 3 titles, but also they reached only 3 finals in that era.
Bayern had 5 finals (losing on pens to Chelsea after conceding a late equalizer and conceding 2 wtf injury time goals vs Man Utd in 1999').
During Pep and prime Messi-Xavi-Iniesta, they had 3 finals in 2010, 2012, 2013.
And then Pep came to Bayern, changed their roots and added Barca DNA into their play...

This is just my opinion, but Bayern back then was a force.
Today, they are shit compared to what they used to be.
They lost their identity, style, quality of players and money (to EPL).
In the early 2000s, when we hated RM's Galacticos, the only team in the world who was capable of stopping them was Bayern who played some epic CL ties vs them back then.

1. Bayern played faster and more direct than today
2. they played with at least 2 tall and strong strikers (Jancker 6'4, Zickler, Elber, Santa Cruz, Pizarro, Makaay, Mario Gomez, Mandzukic etc)
In the air, they were unbeatable, like RM during CR7/Benzema/Bale days. Cross and insalah.
3. regarding leaders, captains, mentality, I liked way more the days of Oliver Kahn, Effenberg, Matthaus than current TikTok Bayern led by Musiala, Kimmich, Sane and Koman.

Here are some videos of old days when Bayern played way faster, more direct, with physical strikers vs Galacticos:

Last edited:

malvolio

** Oh, and that kid Musiala...
Omg, what happened to angry Germans from 20 years ago?
They turned into Musi, Kimmich, Sane and Koman.
Unbelievable drop in quality.
Blood got diluted bro. No more superior arian german race.
Serie A is a lot better than people give it credit for. Tons of talent there. Inter making the semis with a mediocre coach and broke/CCP-restricted owners.
A lot better than what? You're talking as if they're world beaters that go under the radar.

Inter shouldn't be there and Milan had to fight Salzburg and Zagreb for second spot in the group.

Birdy

Maybe I am romanticizing the past, but the same as how Barca today is not what it used to be 10-15 years ago, imo, it applies equally to Bayern.

5 Bayern
4 Man Utd

2014 till today:
5 Real Madrid
3 Liverpool
2 Atletico, Juventus

You may ask why I have picked 1998-2013 era? Well, it's subjective but that is where in my opinion, Bayern was always a force.
Bayern had 5 finals (losing on pens to Chelsea after conceding a late equalizer and conceding 2 wtf injury time goals vs Man Utd in 1999').
And then Pep came to Bayern, changed their roots and added Barca DNA into their play...

In the early 2000s, when we hated RM's Galacticos, the only team in the world who was capable of stopping them was Bayern who played some epic CL ties vs them back then.

2. they played with at least 2 tall and strong strikers (Jancker 6'4, Zickler, Elber, Santa Cruz, Pizarro, Makaay, Mario Gomez, Mandzukic etc)
In the air, they were unbeatable, like RM during CR7/Benzema/Bale days. Cross and insalah.
3. regarding leaders, captains, mentality, I liked way more the days of Oliver Kahn, Effenberg, Matthaus than current TikTok Bayern led by Musiala, Kimmich, Sane and Koman.

Here are some videos of old days when Bayern played way faster, more direct, with physical strikers vs Galacticos:

There is no such period as 1998-2013
There are more objective factors that determine how to carve out periods.

Bayern was a force with Hitchfeld as a coach, and the correct period is probably 1998-2003 or so

Then Bayern sunk into mediocracy, and was no-name in Europe trashed by everyone, and some years didn't even play CL.
Until Van Gaal took over, and then Huynkess continued that work. That is 2009-2013 period

You can't collate these two periods into one, disregard that there is a middle period in between
And of course: the fact that the football played by Bayern in 1998-2003 has nothing to do with the football they played in 2009-2013

FIFA

New signing
Looking forward to Semi-finals, rooting for Man U. Upd. my heart and mind chose the right team to follow! Congratz Man U, you provided me not only with the best vibe, but I also secured my bet. Tbh, it was quite predictably, the hardest part was to find a decent bookie with low margin, glad I found Legalbet.uk, they have the exact top of such bookies: https://legalbet.uk/rating-odds/ . Btw. Rodri is something else!!!

Last edited:

Birdy

Pep yesterday:
“I don’t feel we were better than Bayern just like last season I didn’t think Real Madrid was better than us”

:staringpep:
cooking something really good for Madrid already

fergus90

5 Bayern
4 Man Utd

2014 till today:
5 Real Madrid
3 Liverpool
2 Atletico, Juventus

I don't disagree with you completely on some points, some players in the current squad like Gnabry and Sane I don't rate but Bayern Munich failed to reach a CL semi-final after winning it in 2001 until 2009, their current team is not as good as 2012 but certainly they've been much worse in recent history. It's also clear in both legs they lacked a striker when they had opportunities. Also the German national team in general is struggling for defensive talent as scrubs like Bella-Kotchup at Southampton and Kehrer at West Ham are regular internationals for them.

I do think some of those strikers you mentioned like Jancker, Zickler etc would need to slightly alter their playstyle today because football has somewhat changed. It's definitely played at a higher tempo in general with more focus on athleticism and less on contact/physicality. They were big physical players and the threshold of what's deemed acceptable in modern football is getting smaller. Players roll over clutching their face at any opportunity and VAR is always looking to disallow goals now for any minor infringement. Of course they could tailor their playstyle to cope with it but that is another thing but football in general is just not catered to produce that kind of player currently and perhaps what the Bayern and Germany style was famous for.

Also for clubs like Bayern, Barcelona, Juve etc they are competing with likes of Man City who have financial capabilities way beyond anyone else's means which means the market for top quality forwards can be too difficult.

Eventually clubs like City were going to become CL final regulars at the expense of the usual suspects as they are able to refresh their squads with the best players every summer. It wasn't like they got completely blown away either, City had a top class forward who takes chances and they didn't.

serghei

5 Bayern
4 Man Utd

2014 till today:
5 Real Madrid
3 Liverpool
2 Atletico, Juventus

Pep's Barca changed football for the worse imo. Everybody started to overanalyze them, and became obssessed with controlling the game to that level. It became something even elite clubs like Bayern got obssessed about. Half the top managers since then were students of that team, most of them admitedly so. The influence is over the top imo.

That's like tying to impersonate Robert De Niro's acting style. Doesn't quite go well if you're not the man himself. So, as soon as that team got old and declined, and got broken apart, you got all these type of copycats, all of them who can't hold a candle to that team's technical level. You are right Bayern partly abandoned their directness for a more intricate and possession-based style since Pep Barca smacked them sily in 2009. Even got Van Gaal soon after, another adept of a more positional, possession game.

Last edited:

serghei

Bayern weren't really any better before Pep, 2013 excluded, they were actually quite bad during the mid 2000s.

True, but there is a "spanish-ization" of Bayern in the last decade imo. Mostly stems from them trying to import some form of tiki-taka.

Home of Barca Fans