Champions League 2022/2023

Who will win the CL?

• Total voters

El Gato

Villarato!
VAR argument been debunked countless times, utter nonsense

See how things go with City. Cup football is more than tactics and some masterplan which works on 80% of the league table but games against top sides often go one way or the other

ajnotkeith

VAR argument been debunked countless times, utter nonsense

See how things go with City. Cup football is more than tactics and some masterplan which works on 80% of the league table but games against top sides often go one way or the other
Yeah, but City have been outstanding against the best teams domestically, whilst Madrid are 3rd in their league behind pretty poor Barca and Atleti versions.

If talking about how they've done vs the top sides this season it would slant City.

After last year and the way it turned around, you can never count out Madrid though, City is the favourite like always and still never won a CL. But they are setup very differently this year so I think that will play better into knockouts.

kattanib

Yeah, but City have been outstanding against the best teams domestically, whilst Madrid are 3rd in their league behind pretty poor Barca and Atleti versions.

If talking about how they've done vs the top sides this season it would slant City.

After last year and the way it turned around, you can never count out Madrid though, City is the favourite like always and still never won a CL. But they are setup very differently this year so I think that will play better into knockouts.
I am willing to bet my balls for auctioning if City does not win with an aggregate goal difference of at least 4 goals

fergus90

City on their day are the best team in the world, and have been for about 5 years. But players who lack the experience at the business end of the season can end up playing the occasion and not the game and when things don't go to plan might go into their shell. I might get some heat for this, but for as wonderful as he is, De Bruyne owes City a big CL knockout performance. He seems to do well in one leg and then completely disappear in the other.

Pretty much all the pundits and neutrals are predicting City to breeze past but I will be interested in seeing how they respond if they go a goal down. I would not be surprised to see Madrid taking a lead to the Etihad. The only team City have beaten away this season in Europe is Sevilla.

Drew away to Copenhagen, Dortmund, Leipzig and Bayern.

Last edited:

FC B

I am willing to bet my balls for auctioning if City does not win with an aggregate goal difference of at least 4 goals
Obviously most of us here would dream about such an outcome but I remain reserved, it might be much closer and imo Madrid ain't certainly out after this tie.

Birdy

City on their day are the best team in the world, and have been for about 5 years. But players who lack the experience at the business end of the season can end up playing the occasion and not the game and when things don't go to plan might go into their shell. I might get some heat for this, but for as wonderful as he is, De Bruyne owes City a big CL knockout performance. He seems to do well in one leg and then completely disappear in the other.

Pretty much all the pundits and neutrals are predicting City to breeze past but I will be interested in seeing how they respond if they go a goal down. I would not be surprised to see Madrid taking a lead to the Etihad. The only team City have beaten away this season in Europe is Sevilla.

Drew away to Copenhagen, Dortmund, Leipzig and Bayern.

But then in most of these away games (bar maybe Leipzig) they were doing rotation/conservation/control
I think it was a clear strategy from Pep's part either to defend a lead or take the game to Etihand
Something that Pep teams never knew how to do in the past.
They were approaching all games, legs of ties, in the same way.

Bernardo said something similar recently

fergus90

But then in most of these away games (bar maybe Leipzig) they were doing rotation/conservation/control
I think it was a clear strategy from Pep's part either to defend a lead or take the game to Etihand
Something that Pep teams never knew how to do in the past.
They were approaching all games, legs of ties, in the same way.

Bernardo said something similar recently
I think the first 10 minutes at the Allianz, they could've found themselves 2-0 down if Bayern had a presence in the box. An instance where they definitely needed a Lewandowski when Coman whipped two crosses in that City failed to defend.

I'll be interested to see who Pep plays LB now Ake is missing through injury.

Birdy

I think the first 10 minutes at the Allianz, they could've found themselves 2-0 down if Bayern had a presence in the box. An instance where they definitely needed a Lewandowski when Coman whipped two crosses in that City failed to defend.

Yes, they had it hard against Bayern.
But the quality Bayern have in sustaining pressure on the opposition is not comparable to Madrid's.

PS: BTW Seluk lifted the African curse on Pep :ROFLMAO:

Andresito

Staff member

Akanji with Walker RB?

With this Madrid side I have the feeling they can get absolutely slaughtered or they can go through 2-1 on aggregate. Don't think City will concede a bunch like Liverpool and Chelsea did over two games.

FC B

Which kind of scoreline favourable to City would be the most dangerous to them to go with on the return leg at Etihad?

A draw, a narrow win, a win at two ore more goals?

And if it will be a narrow loss for City, it would benefit them more in terms of motivation and sacrifice on the pitch for the second match?

BJJ

The match at Bernabeu will be close but City will destroy Madrid at the Etihad 4 1 or 4 2.
Defensively City have looked very good to this year. They have improved quite a bit from last season.

Home of Barca Fans