Cesc Fàbregas

Indignado

Nope, this is completely wrong. By watching players you can see what they're capable of. Anyone with no bias and a brain, by watching both Messi and cr play, can see Messi is better. No need to see stats for that. With midfielders this is even more important. Stats are just the tip of an iceberg in order to judge a player. Don't fool yourself just to try to make cesc look better.

I agree, there are tons of examples of current players who are considered the best at what they are and have poor stats. Busquets, Xavi, Xabi, Khedira, Javi Martinez, Gündogan, just to name a few, would all be useless according to that logic.

Y

Youngie

So I'm a troll because I posted some accurate stats? Makes sense when you think about it....

Y

Youngie

Facts can be twisted in a lot of ways and used wrongly in an argument.

So (for example) when I posted Cesc passing accuracy (starting 10th Oct 2012):

Deportivo vs Barça - 95%

This "can be twisted in a lot of ways"???

Eetu

Adormit
So (for example) when I posted Cesc passing accuracy (starting 10th Oct 2012):

Deportivo vs Barça - 95%

This "can be twisted in a lot of ways"???

For example, someone could claim, that it equates capability to take part in fast passing play. In such ways.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Stats, I don't know what to say? Cesc is not able to control a match from the midfield, he doesn't pick the best passes (even if stats show that he made 95%), he doesn't exude confidence against stronger teams, he doesn't create space for himself by thinking ahead (before he receives the pass), he doesn't work well in cramped spaces / when stressed (like Iniesta and Xavi, they just make it look very effortless) and his form is very uneven.
I just feel sometimes that he is a luxury signing and that he might never grow into the role we bought him for. He is neither the perfect midfielder, neither a false 9 in the current system.

Edit: And btw, yes I rate him highly. I just feel a team should be built around the skills Cesc has (which are unique in their own way), but it seems like he can't adopt to the way we want him to play.

Last edited:
Y

Youngie

For example, someone could claim, that it equates capability to take part in fast passing play. In such ways.

"equates capability"? WTF does that mean?

Stats, I don't know what to say? Cesc is not able to control a match from the midfield, he doesn't pick the best passes (even if stats show that he made 95%), he doesn't exude confidence against stronger teams, he doesn't create space for himself by thinking ahead (before he receives the pass), he doesn't work well in cramped spaces / when stressed (like Iniesta and Xavi, they just make it look very effortless) and his form is very uneven.
I just feel sometimes that he is a luxury signing and that he might never grow into the role we bought him for. He is neither the perfect midfielder, neither a false 9 in the current system.

I can pick you apart on all points. Anyway Cesc controlled matches from midfield. You must have missed them during the first half of the season. And about Cesc not picking the best passes. The guy has 3rd most assists in the league (behind Iniesta & Messi).

Cesc is a luxury signing. Why is that a bad thing?

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

I can pick you apart on all points. Anyway Cesc controlled matches from midfield. You must have missed them during the first half of the season. And about Cesc not picking the best passes. The guy has 3rd most assists in the league (behind Iniesta & Messi).

Cesc is a luxury signing. Why is that a bad thing?

'Pick' me apart with what? Statistics again?
Listen, I'm not saying he can't play football - and I have nothing against the kid. He is among the best attacking midfielders right now. And yes, he had a great first half of the season and he even scored a hat-trick the other week. But there is something missing, I had even higher hopes for him. He still has a long way to go to fill Iniestas or Xavis shoes. He does not, nor has he ever, controlled matches from midfield like Xavi or Iniesta.

Eetu

Adormit

Would having 'to' there in between make you happier? If so, sorry.

Overall what I was saying could be put 'has high passing percentage != can play tiki-taka'. Context was 'facts being twisted'. Reference should be clear.

Trickykid

Cesc: "I'm happy about my stats and about how I adapted, but you can always do better. No one is as critical for me than I am myself."

He's only saying that because he doesn't read barcaforum.com.

Home of Barca Fans