Cesc Fàbregas

ceefoo

Clearly some of you didn't get the irony of my "stats" post.

I too think it is a flawed argument and doesn't take into account the control a midfielder imposes in games.

Hell! If we went by stats alone then Frank Lampard would be the greatest midfielder of all time. But how many unbiased fans would have Lampard over Iniesta? I'm guessing none ... (Okay maybe 1 percent, allowing for the fanboys :p).

These stats (eg. Goals & Assists) do not take into account the influence a player (esp. Centre Midfielder) has on the team as a whole and dominance of the ball. It does not tell us the key passes (the one prior to the assist, that slices open a defence or takes two players completely out the game).

Or even how many times a player loses the ball cheaply with a sloppy pass or poor touch. Or makes an unforced error leaving the defence totally vulnerable. Or controls the rhythm and tempo of the game by given momentum to their team and denying it from their opponent.

Stats are an indicator, that's all, and should be treated as such.

Cule4life

The Culest
I disagree.

IMO

1) Fabregas
2) Iniesta
3) Schweinsteiger
4) Xavi
5) One of Alonso/Pirlo/Toure/Silva/Ozil/Cazorla

tumblr_lka915sLrA1qhgme2.gif

Y

Youngie

Clearly some of you didn't get the irony of my "stats" post.

I too think it is a flawed argument and doesn't take into account the control a midfielder imposes in games.

Xavi has 100+ assists in his career. These are part of "a flawed argument"?

Y

Youngie

Stats are a horrible way to view things, an example is Cesc has upped his stats in two games this season against two of the poorest teams in the league which make his return over the season look better than what it actually is.

The same can be said for Messi. Correct?

ceefoo

Xavi has 100+ assists in his career. These are part of "a flawed argument"?
I think you have misunderstood the point I was making!?!

I am saying that it is a flaw to judge one CM with another CM based solely on stats (Goals & Assists) alone. And I never criticised Xavi. In fact quite the opposite.

Y

Youngie

I think you have misunderstood the point I was making!?!

I am saying that it is a flaw to judge one CM with another CM based solely on stats (Goals & Assists) alone. And I never criticised Xavi.

Never said you did. But saying "doesn't take into account the control a midfielder imposes in games." makes me think you're referring to stats alone.

ceefoo

Never said you did. But saying "doesn't take into account the control a midfielder imposes in games." makes me think you're referring to stats alone.
:cool: What I meant was the "Control" a CM has is only usually measured by his pass accuracy. But we know this can be skewed eg. a Defensive Midfielder can finish a match with a 100 percent pass accuracy and never make a forward pass the entire match. The stats would indicate that he had a blinder, but in reality he didn't do anything outstanding.

Kerrybai

Cesc did assist Iniesta on the wc final, though. But he still has a long way to reach Iniesta, if he does it one day.

You are right, I was wrong to use the word 'never', I meant to say 'not as often,' which IMO is correct. Of course Cesc is only 25 so that could change.

Home of Barca Fans