Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Sneijder

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters

Pajo

Interista Paja Patak
Taking freekicks requires awkward (usually damaging) body movements. With the athletic build of most players these days, that is impossible. I used to watch freekicks that curled and decieved goal keepers but the ones I see now are just powerful. In fact C. Ronaldo's freekick style is nearly impossible if explained by physics because striking the ball the way he does requires some luck that the ball catches forward turning at a massive speed to dip the way it does, otherwise, it requires a change in pressure and I am not sure as to how this could be explained (is it the air, the velocity or the shape of the ball when it returns to normal size after it being struck that hard?). Not a talent in my opinion, but I will take it. In fact this season, his freekicks have been garbage.

Messi is shit. Xavi is only a little better.

Guti, De la Pena, Beckham all used their upper body plus a mild touch to get a proper curve, while the likes of Sniejder forces the ball to spin with brute force. Super Mario uses strength + centered aim and his shot depends on any change in the air to change the ball's direction.

My favorite was probably Sinisa Mihajlovic since he was able to get retarded power + aim + curvature on the ball.

Other names who struck the ball well were:

Michael Ballsack, Totti, Van Persie (I'd like him, only if he wasn't an asshole), Zidane, and Ronaldinho. Speaking of the last one, he would have cemented his name as one of the greatest freekick takers in history had he scored against france, he only came so close in the dying minutes. Although, wonderful shot on him, impeccable delivery that allowed Barcelona to stay in the run for the league title.

My personal nemesis is Del Pierro. He scored against Real Madrid and score them for fun against Inter.

Notable mention to Almiedo who struck a ball at an insane speed from an insane distance and scored against Inter. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ihIMKh0E0 here it is...pure insanity.

great post mate.. :beer2::beer2:

Ticoaj

I think were gonna make it
Pirlo had a brillant free kick in his prime days Maybe it didnt have alex power or juninho accuracy but he struck a few greats and he has made very important assists in the bigger games like the corner that connected to materazzis head in the cl final 06 The free kick which connected to inzaghis head in the cl final 07 and maldinis foot in the cl final 05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPulzUtkBqU Is a nice short range free kick

Last edited:

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
I don't think anyone mentioned it, but Keisuke Honda is brilliant in taking free kicks as well.

gingerless

This season all i've seen from him is hitting the wall constantly, with the exception of that terrible wall vs milan

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
My current one would be Robin van Persie... It's a pity his name is not included in there when the likes of Fabregas and Xavi are!!

Probably because he hasn't score one in around three years.

Now, if I wanted a free kick taker to repeatedly hit the crossbar, I'd give Van Rapist a call.

Home of Barca Fans