Bayern Munchen

Temptation

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION], great to see you coming back to commenting on football.

It is a matter of personal taste for sure, the Bayern I liked the most was Heynckes' Bayern which in my opinion is a combination of both "German physique, German mental strength, German's being ruthless" that you were talking about and the technical and tactical finesse introduced by Louis van Gaal. They were so mobile, quick and pressing like we were but also super physical and relentless, having different gameplans up their sleeves instead of just playing the ground game and passing the balls around, or only hoofing long balls. Multidimensional might be the word. That was the perfect combination in my opinion.

Becoming "softer" and more technical is the trend in world football that no club can avoid, I think.

2012-13 ish Bayern were one of the most versatile and complete teams I have ever seen. They had everything. They had the technical and tactical nous, they had speed, strength, stamina, height, physicality. They were good at dominating the ball possession while being equally adept at destroying teams on the counter. They could even play route 1 long ball style if required. And yeah that German ruthlessness and efficiency made them deadlier.

Softness always hurts in Cup runs at the highest level. The right amount of steel and even nastiness is required. Like Jose Mourinho said in the Amazon doc: "Good guys never win."

Massive credit to Klopp for winning 2 league titles and other trophies against that team in that era.

BBZ8800

Yeah, but this points to a different conclusion...irrespective of the style of the club, you need legends like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o, R10, Puyol, Alves etc. and Neuer, Robben, Ribery, Bastian, Lahm, Lewa etc. to win CLs. It doesn't matter if the manager is Jesus himself if the players are shit.

We both agree on that lol. I think you just like the consistency of Bayern results with their German style (most matches are evenly contested) while I like the AMAZING highs of Barca (when we peak, we annihilate the opposition and leave no doubt) and accept some of the insane lows that follow (the CL humiliations when our seniors are past it). Usually, the lows aren't more than 2-3 years (as after R10's peak) but Barto just made it worse and made it a 5-6 year stretch.

I am not comparing this to Barca.
I am comparing Bayern to Bayern.

In the late 90s and early 2000s, Real was the best team.
Since I was a Barca fan, I had to cheer for every single of Real's opponents in the hope that they won't win.
And back then:
If Real played vs Barca, they would win 2:0 in the end either way.
If they played vs Man utd, they would win 5:3 or 6:3.
The only option was Bayern, who were the only team in the world who had 50:50 chances against them and back then Bayern was unbeatable for years in Munich.

I especially remember 2000', Bayern was in the group stage with Real (back then we had 2 rounds of group stages and then straight to quarterfinals).
Bayern won 4:1 and 4:2 in groups and 0:2 and 2:1 in semis.
Which means that actually in that season Bayern had 12:6 goals ratio vs Galacticos (hailed as the best team of the century in those days).

Matches in Munich:
2000: group 4:1, KO 2:1
2001: KO 2:1
2002: KO 2:1
2004: KO 1:1

Back then, as a teen, I had some respect and fear towards Bayern.
They were good, they were strong, they didn't come to play fancy football or get Youtube followers, they came to "execute" you in football terms.
But also, their players from those days like Kahn, Jancker and Effenberg, I was scared to even look at them. They had that stone cold look in the eyes like Jaap Stam.
They were always yelling, lifting their team and their eyes were always hungry and full of passion when they would score.
For example, look at this clip and their facial expressions:

And then, we have a current Bayern, who is similar to: remember Barca with Puyol, Mascherano, Valdes, Etoo as leaders and then we moved to Busi, Roberto, Messi, Pique as captains. Zero passion, zero fight, zero mental strength.
I feel the same for Bayern. They turned from a team whom you were scared to look in the eyes to a team who's leaders are Kimmich and Sane.

So, imo, they changed both in terms of mental strength, leadership and they moved towards Spanish style of football instead of their more lethal/direct/less fancy style which worked way better for them.

Last edited:

Laplacian

Bayern is seriously overrated, and no this isn't based on last night. Any of the regulars here know that i've shit talked Bayern multiple times before over the past 2 seasons. My point: Bayern was shit in Europe between 2017-2019, Flick came and they had a monster season (then again only one round instead of two during Covid so asterisk there tbh), Flick left and they went back to being their old selves. People were just in denial and kept "rating" Bayern based off their 2019/2020 for, even in 2021 and 2022 whilst not watching their matches at all outside of one or two matches a year, with those being in the champion's league. They were seriously overrated. It wasn't Bayern that was a monstrous team, it was Flick.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Bayern's downfall is basically an indirect indication of the fact that the game is gonna be ruled by money for years to come.

In the past 2 years, we can see that gradually Bayern are struggling to keep its players and truly can't keep up with wage demands and agent issues.

Another proof of this would be the crazy financial package Haaland and his entourage are demanding.

The Neymar transfer has really turned the market mental. Fitting that it was by a state funded club.

The old guard of Football will soon be in trouble. Sustainability of sporting models are gonna get tougher and tougher.

I can see a future where even filthy rich clubs like Real Madrid and Manchester United struggle to keep up with the City's, the PSG's, the Newcastle's in the market.

Football is going to implode soon. The desire for a Super League was another indication in this regard.

There's widespread dissatisfaction and grievances from top to bottom of the Football Hierarchy.

We will have to see how UEFA's new FFP will have any impact on those state-clubs. It might be my lack of awareness, but I don't think there is enough safeguard in place to make sure the likes of City, PSG and New Castle will not sign a bunch of fictitious and dubious sponsorship deals from their home countries, all at the deemed fair market value (that is something the new FFP is going to examine, reportedly) and therefore inflate their revenue and hence up their spending cap.

Temptation

We will have to see how UEFA's new FFP will have any impact on those state-clubs. It might be my lack of awareness, but I don't think there is enough safeguard in place to make sure the likes of City, PSG and New Castle will not sign a bunch of fictitious and dubious sponsorship deals from their home countries, all at the deemed fair market value (that is something the new FFP is going to examine, reportedly) and therefore inflate their revenue and hence up their spending cap.

There isn't lmfao.

A week back there was this list that had City on top as the most revenue-generating club itw which is a joke. They aren't top 10 in that.

Abu Dhabi have literally created new companies in the past just to beat the FFP traps and spend as much as they want. That kinda money really talks.

Temptation

City are set and will always consistently be one of the top clubs itw from now on. And unlike other big clubs, they won't even have proper rough patches.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
City are set and will always consistently be one of the top clubs itw from now on. And unlike other big clubs, they won't even have proper rough patches.

I wouldn't worry about you guys either, the FSG is loaded. I think they were trying to acquire more assets, if I am not mistaken. Still expanding and very ambitious. No doubt they will keep injecting money into Liverpool.

Temptation

I wouldn't worry about you guys either, the FSG is loaded. I think they were trying to acquire more assets, if I am not mistaken. Still expanding and very ambitious. No doubt they will keep injecting money into Liverpool.

FSG are cheapskates though. They're brilliant at running the club but never put much money into it like Roman did at Chelsea.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Matthaus: "Villarreal isn't the kind of opponent that you can be knocked out against".

That snobbishness. :hooray: Runs in their blood.

KingLeo10

Hilarious how Bayern thinks nearly every opponent is beneath them and yet they have only 6 CLs in 60 years of participation in this competition.

Should simmer down and be humble. Got themselves confused with RM :lol:

Temptation

Certain "Barca fans" on here are directly or indirectly hyping up Real Madrid in every single one of their posts.

Pretty ironic that these same posters have the cheek to lecture people on supporting clubs.

Apparently, the new symbol of loyalty to your club is being a Madrid-loving Barca fan. 😂😂

KingLeo10

Certain "Barca fans" on here are directly or indirectly hyping up Real Madrid in every single one of their posts.

Pretty ironic that these same posters have the cheek to lecture people on supporting clubs.

Apparently, the new symbol of loyalty to your club is being a Madrid-loving Barca fan. ����

It's delusional to believe anyone other than RM is the best club in CL history. Results wise.

Now, if the conversation is about the greatest club sides of all time, I'm picking Barca's best (09,11,15) over any of RM's best sides 10/10.

Try harder.

Home of Barca Fans