Barca Transfers and Rumors

JamDav1982

Against Malaga, that mistake was big. We were the better team up until that point and that drastically altered the game. And in that game in particular if you remember correctly, Madrid had lost I think the day prior and we had a chance to make their make up game a must win for them to stay level with us on points. The Juve 1st leg was definitely a collective failure, between how much we underperformed and Lucho's starting 11.

I very much believe in football being a collective, team oriented game so don't get me wrong there. However sometimes players make mistakes that override the collective aspect of the game, as well as produce moments of genius. With Mathieu, it was more than just his big mistakes. He often turned the ball over, other players didn't trust him with the ball as a result, it was just never a good fit. In my opinion, a better and younger CB should've been signed.

Mathieu did what he came to do and was a good back up with expeience which was what was needed.

As for making up for mistakes I can point to goals vs Real and Celta that Barca dont win league without if that is what is being compared.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Mathieu did what he came to do and was a good back up with expeience which was what was needed.

As for making up for mistakes I can point to goals vs Real and Celta that Barca dont win league without if that is what is being compared.

That was the first season which I acknowledged he was decent for us during. There were better options however that could have turned out more than a season for us however who could still be playing for us now.

JamDav1982

That was the first season which I acknowledged he was decent for us during. There were better options however that could have turned out more than a season for us however who could still be playing for us now.

Yeah and his first season counts.

Hindsight is easy to say there were better options but one of the big options that people wanted the club to spend big on was Benatia who went to Bayern and failed.

There is a chance as well as picking a better option a more expensive flop could have been signed.

For what the club wanted - experienced back up in La Liga and probably a left sided one he was fine and nowhere near a bad signing or a symbol of anything.

Jombi

I agree...
Why do you guys arguing about Mathieu?
What about Arda, Gomes and Paco?

Probably because signing players for big bucks who play a few games for one or two seasons and leave on a free isnt really the standard we should set for ourselves. Its like people dont care whether a player stays for 7 years or 2 years. Its not a solid investment to buy 31 year olds.

gvt2000

I agree...
Why do you guys arguing about Mathieu?
What about Arda, Gomes and Paco?

Gomes and Alcacer are 24. They have their entire careers ahead of them.

What experience? Here's a player who's best seasons were as left back, who had never gotten past champions league group stage and who had never played for a big team. Im glad i_bleed_blaugrana can see it too: Mathieu's mistakes last season (along with Lucho's obssesion with him) are the reason we did so poorly vs Juventus and Malaga

JamDav1982

Gomes and Alcacer are 24. They have their entire careers ahead of them.

What experience? Here's a player who's best seasons were as left back, who had never gotten past champions league group stage and who had never played for a big team. Im glad i_bleed_blaugrana can see it too: Mathieu's mistakes last season (along with Lucho's obssesion with him) are the reason we did so poorly vs Juventus and Malaga

No he played his best football for Valencia at CB.

Matthieu made mistakes but he didn't wholly cost those games as you try to make out.

Suarez missed chances v Juventus, Masch was crap, Pique was poor, Neymar was poor. Lucho picked him in a unfamiliar position in a big game and set out team poorly.

Mathieu did his job across his time at club and you are way off trying to make out he is symbol of anything.

Catta

You all speaking like Mathieu was the worst transfer ever, but his transfer was the same as that of David Villa and no body is speaking shit about him. They both were signed with a big transfer fee, and both had good first seasons, resulting in us winning the CL and La Liga, and they both left for free.

PhilS

Mathieu was the best CB to join the team between Masch and Umtitti. He was fine as CB, had some absolutely atrocious games at LB. If you want to complain about historical CB signing errors, have you forgotten Song? He had never played the position previously, so I don't really blame him for being unsuited. The club announced him as combined midfielder/CB, pure wishful thinking.

gvt2000

No he played his best football for Valencia at CB.

Matthieu made mistakes but he didn't wholly cost those games as you try to make out.

Suarez missed chances v Juventus, Masch was crap, Pique was poor, Neymar was poor. Lucho picked him in a unfamiliar position in a big game and set out team poorly.

Mathieu did his job across his time at club and you are way off trying to make out he is symbol of anything.

He really didn't. He was a LB and only on rare occasions used as a CB while in Valencia.

xXKonan

Funny enough, Valverde was the one that started to convert Mathieu into a CB during his short stint as Valencia's manager.

El Flaco

[tw]905409686702305280[/tw]

Says we're following Ajax defender Matthijs de Ligt very closely.

The scouting team are also looking at Kasper Dolberg and Justin Kluivert.

xXKonan

img_dsalvador_20170907-001359_imagenes_md_otras_fuentes_portada_7.jpg

MD claims we contacted Lopez's entourage about a possible deal in the summer.

Home of Barca Fans