Aymeric Laporte

Messi983

Straight swap with Roberto. Do it Laporta.

This would be ideal but don't think there is any chance City would accept. I think the best we could offer is a loan with obligatory buy next year and give them Roberto if they want him.

Something like 10m loan fee + 20-30m transfer fee next year + Roberto (valued at around 15m; according to TM his MV is currently 18m).

Or use installments for payment which are usual in most big money transfers so we'd only have to pay small part of transfer fee this summer. But again doubt City would accept as they'd surely like to get as much money upfront as they can so they can buy whoever they're targeting.

OTOH it's questionable how much they can really get on the market if they don't want to sell him to a direct rival in EPL (their teams are the only ones who can pay significant money right now) and even less if Laporte wants to return to La Liga as it was rumoured. I doubt he'd want to return to Bilbao (or that they would pay big money for him) so there are only three obvious clubs in play for him. RM could get him if Varane and/or Ramos leave, not so sure about Atletico though.

In the end it's all in City's hands. He's still under longterm contract and they don't need to sell at any costs if they don't get a good offer. They've paid 65m for Laporte in January 2018 and his value on the books is still around 35m and that's probably the least they'd consider selling him for to not have any loss.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Stones and Dias started a partnership when Laporte was injured. When he recovered he could not displace Stones.
VVD, Kompany, Terry all great CBS. But Dias and Stones a great pair.
There is some history that when City lost in a couple of knock out stages of CL, there was a question mark over Laporte performance in those games.
However, he is on a par with Stones.

I say it is more about the dynamic of the pairing, when Laporte was injured Dias & Stones developed chemistry & rhythm that became harder to displace. However, when Laporte played, for me, he was City's best central defender. Even for the few times they played together, I thought City's best pairing in central defense was Laporte-Dias

As I say, we should not have a single concern about adding Laporte - he would be a fixture for the next 5/6 seasons

Last edited:

Bobo32

I like it very much, but it would be hard to predict that Barcelona would be solving their defence by getting scraps from Peps central defense projects...

Zidane82

This would be ideal but don't think there is any chance City would accept. I think the best we could offer is a loan with obligatory buy next year and give them Roberto if they want him.

Something like 10m loan fee + 20-30m transfer fee next year + Roberto (valued at around 15m; according to TM his MV is currently 18m).

Or use installments for payment which are usual in most big money transfers so we'd only have to pay small part of transfer fee this summer. But again doubt City would accept as they'd surely like to get as much money upfront as they can so they can buy whoever they're targeting.

OTOH it's questionable how much they can really get on the market if they don't want to sell him to a direct rival in EPL (their teams are the only ones who can pay significant money right now) and even less if Laporte wants to return to La Liga as it was rumoured. I doubt he'd want to return to Bilbao (or that they would pay big money for him) so there are only three obvious clubs in play for him. RM could get him if Varane and/or Ramos leave, not so sure about Atletico though.

In the end it's all in City's hands. He's still under longterm contract and they don't need to sell at any costs if they don't get a good offer. They've paid 65m for Laporte in January 2018 and his value on the books is still around 35m and that's probably the least they'd consider selling him for to not have any loss.

I?ve seen a few reports recently suggesting that Pep has been trying to get Roberto to City for a while .

I?ve no idea what Pep sees in him

Zidane82

I say it is more about the dynamic of the pairing, when Laporte was injured Dias & Stones developed chemistry & rhythm that became harder to displace. However, when Laporte played, for me, he was City's best central defender. Even for the few times they played together, I thought City's best pairing in central defense was Laporte-Dias

As I say, we should not have a single concern about adding Laporte - he would be a fixture for the next 5/6 seasons

Laporte was fabulous last season !!

Mateka

City need four CBS, so if Laporte leaves he has to be replaced. In Barca favour is that he is 3rd choice at City. Best CB being Dias by a country mile. Also in Barcas favour is Laporte playing for Spain. A switch to a Spanish side keeping him in the forefront for selection. Finally, City are poor sellers. Letting players go for less than their value. This may be seen as not wanting to stand in the way of a player wanting to move on, and thank you. But in reality they are released way below their value.

Andresito

Staff member
City need four CBS, so if Laporte leaves he has to be replaced. In Barca favour is that he is 3rd choice at City. Best CB being Dias by a country mile. Also in Barcas favour is Laporte playing for Spain. A switch to a Spanish side keeping him in the forefront for selection. Finally, City are poor sellers. Letting players go for less than their value. This may be seen as not wanting to stand in the way of a player wanting to move on, and thank you. But in reality they are released way below their value.

They still have Ake as a left footed CB. But yeah they'd need another CB unless they have a talented one in the academy. Harwood-Bellis maybe.
It does look a bit thin though: Dias, Stones, Ake, Harwood-Bellis.

Mateka

They still have Ake as a left footed CB. But yeah they'd need another CB unless they have a talented one in the academy. Harwood-Bellis maybe.
It does look a bit thin though: Dias, Stones, Ake, Harwood-Bellis.

Harwood Bellis is certainly one for the future. Future as in not next season.

If reports are correct that Coutinho goes to Leicester for 17m. Who else can Barca sell? That plus one player may do the deal.

I would prefer Laporte to stay at City, Stones has been injury prone. Reports of United wanting Ake.

Manchester City will target Villarreal defender Pau Torres should Aymeric Laporte leave the club. Buyout clause 65m. A figure that City go to. The Bank.

Last edited:

Birdy

That's why it's crucial to pack Lenglet together with Roberto to send them.
That could even strike a straight swap according to the valuations of all the players involved

fergus90

If we somehow end up with Laporte I would be over the moon. Won't be holding out too much hope on it happening though.

Mateka

That's why it's crucial to pack Lenglet together with Roberto to send them.
That could even strike a straight swap according to the valuations of all the players involved

Please no. City lose a player worth what they paid for him. Barca empty out everybody they do not want in exchange.

Mateka

Reports of Laporte happy to go to either Madrid club.

His place in the Spain team being the driving factor for him wanting to leave EPL. The Boot Room.

Home of Barca Fans