Alexis Sanchez

I also think Alexis was kind of like Cesc in that he didn't exactly fit the mold of our LW like Neymar does, his dribbling isn't up to barca standard but he doesn't have to worry as much about that in the epl cause he's not playing against the same systems barca has to face. He seems to have improved his finishing though which is kinda the reason we boiught Saurez in the first place, we needed someone to score some damn goals :lol:

El Flaco

Sanchez's goals vs. Manchester United

[gfy]BigheartedDirtyAsianporcupine[/gfy]

[gfy]AdmirableFantasticIntermediateegret[/gfy]

BBZ8800

Bit like people are scapegoating other players now. Hardly a surprise...

Your reply sounds as if no player is ever guilty or not good enough for Barca.

Sanchez was not good enough for Barca's standard.

We would win CLs with him?
No, Don, seriously, we would never win anything with Alexis.

But, that is not insult.
I mean, around 99,9% of all professional footballers are not good enough for Barca.
I am not being rude towards Alexis, or Cesc, Deulofeu, Adama, or anyone.

BBZ8800

Sanchez's goals vs. Manchester United

Nice goals.
I am glad that he found a club for himself.

Also, it seems that turfs in England have a better grip than Nou Camp's turf. Alexis seems to be able to run for 30-40 minutes without a single slip nowadays :lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Your reply sounds as if no player is ever guilty or not good enough for Barca.

Sanchez was not good enough for Barca's standard.

We would win CLs with him?
No, Don, seriously, we would never win anything with Alexis.

But, that is not insult.
I mean, around 99,9% of all professional footballers are not good enough for Barca.
I am not being rude towards Alexis, or Cesc, Deulofeu, Adama, or anyone.

I've got to admit that Alexis is the most frustrating player I've ever watched because he can do something so great then slip and ruin everything, but he's still a very good player who gave his all for the team and rejected a big money offer from Man City to join us.

CL SF 2012. We could have won the Champions League that year, but Alexis missed chances, Cesc missed chances, Messi did so too and missed that penalty.

We won with Villa - Messi - Pedro

Why would Villa/Pedro - Messi - Alexis/Pedro be any less?

The team last season was better. Rakitic did well. Iniesta had problems initially in a new role, but settled down and started performing well in the 2nd half of the season. Xavi was at his best as an impact sub, rotation player when he was fresh and not burned out all the time.

Pique stepped up, so did Mascherano. Alba and Alves too. Bravo and ter Stegen did well in their respective competitions. We didn't have that many problems, with the system or individual players as back then and yet we were still very close from qualifying for a CL Final in 2012.

Icarium

Lifestealer
If alexis and cesc stayed we wouldnt have bought Suarez and rakitic ultimately no CL. We got around 75M from the sale of both the players and bought Suarez and look how well that turned out. Selling cesc and alexis was the first and very important step towards the treble imo.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
If alexis and cesc stayed we wouldnt have bought Suarez and rakitic ultimately no CL. We got around 75M from the sale of both the players and bought Suarez and look how well that turned out. Selling cesc and alexis was the first and very important step towards the treble imo.
CL in 2012 or otherwise, Cesc wold have surely gone

Observer

Banned
The arrogant myth of fitting Barca standard should be switched to Barca system, 2 different concepts.

A player can be top quality and not fit a system that doesn't explode his best attributes, and there are tons of examples by now.

Also, EPL giving more room to players is another wrong perception. It has nothing to do with the league but due to Barca's style of play plus the defensive schemes proposed by squads that face Barca. Even Bayern gets more room because their tiki-taka pace is higher.

BBZ8800

I've got to admit that Alexis is the most frustrating player I've ever watched because he can do something so great then slip and ruin everything, but he's still a very good player who gave his all for the team and rejected a big money offer from Man City to join us.

CL SF 2012. We could have won the Champions League that year, but Alexis missed chances, Cesc missed chances, Messi did so too and missed that penalty.

We won with Villa - Messi - Pedro

Why would Villa/Pedro - Messi - Alexis/Pedro be any less?

The team last season was better. Rakitic did well. Iniesta had problems initially in a new role, but settled down and started performing well in the 2nd half of the season. Xavi was at his best as an impact sub, rotation player when he was fresh and not burned out all the time.

Pique stepped up, so did Mascherano. Alba and Alves too. Bravo and ter Stegen did well in their respective competitions. We didn't have that many problems, with the system or individual players as back then and yet we were still very close from qualifying for a CL Final in 2012.

I didn't want to go that route, but ok.
Look, we are Barca.

Most of our players have an insane technical level.
Only extremely gifted players can play at Barca.

But there is another thing: IQ.
Extremely high IQ, extremely good understanding of football, movement, tactics, reading the game, understanding your teammates, making awesome decisions in miliseconds.

Sadly, Alexis is not smart enough for Barca, let's say it politely...

Yes, he can score an awesome goal in one second, but then he would slip in the next goal scoring opportunity or he would make 3 dumbest key decisions in a row.
I have told once:
-- Busi is extremely smart
-- Iniesta also
-- Xavi was an Einstein
-- Rakitic is smart enough
-- Messi is very smart
-- Neymar is smart enough, plus he can improve a lot, he is not dumb
-- Suarez is smart enough
-- Pique is smart

The only dumb player in Barca is Alba.
And he is a rocket scientist compared with Alexis.

Barca and our tactics is like launching a ship to space.
Everything needs to click perfectly and everyone needs to do their part of the job perfectly.
If something goes wrong, all employees need to find a new solution in a milisecond.

On the other hand, Alexis is a guy who has a lot of natural talent, but more or less nobody (not even him) knows what he will do with the ball in his feet in the next moment.
He was just lost in our (too complicated) schemes.
Sometimes I had a feeling that he doesn't understand at all what is happening around him, what is our plan, what our players are doing and what he is supposed to do.

Again, 99,9% of players are not "smart" enough for Barca also...
We require the highest level in everything.

Pedro was a rocket scientist compared to Alexis.
Alexis has much higher talent, especially in dribbling.
But Pedro is better at least in 3 things:
1. he is a much smarter player
2. he understands our system, he knew his job, and he knew what his teammates were doing
3. also, he could run with the ball more than 20 meters without tripping :worthy:

But, Alexis is good enough (because of his natural talent) for teams who don't have as high standard as Barca and who don't have such a complicated (for IQ) system.

In Arsenal, he is the best or one of the best players.
And in Chile, he has a free role and he does what he wants. (even though again, it usually means that no one, not even him, knows what will happen in the next action. He just plays randomly, without too much planning or thinking. The opposite of Doctor Xavi, for example.)

More or less, that's it.
Alexis wasn't a player for Barca.
He doesn't fit and doesn't understand our system at all.

I apologize if my post sounds rude, but IQ is also a player's skill.
The same as pace, dribbling technique, lethal finishing, stamina, workrate etc.

You are good at some skills, and weaker in others.
For Barca, imo, you need to be a world class in tactical IQ and decisions, and in understanding our system perfectly.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Alexis could easily play for Barca if he was the main man in attack and given freedom to play.

What Alexis couldnt do was play on the right hand side and be a support player to Messi.

He seemed to over think things and be caught between trying to play his team role and his natural game and more often than not that conflict caused him to stutter and lose the ball.

BBZ you are being far too harsh to suggest he is somehow too dumb to play for Barca. He easily could have under different circumstances.

Neymessi

Sanchez IS good enough for barca.When he was here he wasn't that good but now at arsenal,he is really really good.At this point of time he surely is good enough to play here.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I've always thought he was good enough to be a squad player in the Barca of the last few years, but never a star man. I still don't.

Darko

He was our 2nd best player in his last season for us, and if anything he would be even better under Lucho with our more counter attacking and open football. So yeah, it's ridiculous to say it's a fact that we wouldn't win the CL with him.

Home of Barca Fans