9 - Robert Lewandowski

Temptation

Ballon D' ors credibility has gone down exponentially in the last few years.

People started having issues since around the time Modric won.

Who cares though? Every Football fan agrees RL9 deserved it in 2020 and every non Barca fan agrees he deserved it in 2021.

Every single association awarded him for those 2 years except the corrupt, political French Magazine which had to create a new award to appease the masses and then backtrack and chicken out making themselves a laughing stock infront of the global audience.

Ballon D' or isn't any barometer of fairness anymore.

KingLeo10

Ballon D' ors credibility has gone down exponentially in the last few years.

People started having issues since around the time Modric won.

Who cares though? Every Football fan agrees RL9 deserved it in 2020 and every non Barca fan agrees he deserved it in 2021.

Every single association awarded him for those 2 years except the corrupt, political French Magazine which had to create a new award to appease the masses and then backtrack and chicken out making themselves a laughing stock infront of the global audience.

Ballon D' or isn't any barometer of fairness anymore.

Messi deserved the 2019 Ballon D'Or though, for the same reasons you apply to Lewa's 20/21 claim.

51 goals, 20 assists in 50 games. 12 CL goals, 6 CL KO goals, only Barca player who was great in the Liverpool tie.

Won the league dominantly.

Modric's 2018 one is iffy, but what do you expect when you have to contend with Florentino Perez the crook :lol:

Temptation

Messi deserved the 2019 Ballon D'Or though, for the same reasons you apply to Lewa's 20/21 claim.

51 goals, 20 assists in 50 games. 12 CL goals, 6 CL KO goals, only Barca player who was great in the Liverpool tie.

Won the league dominantly.

Modric's 2018 one is iffy, but what do you expect when you have to contend with Florentino Perez the crook :lol:

Sure. The 2019 votes reflected fairly......a defender in insane form can never have the same impact as a Forward in insane form. That's just how the game is. So I can understand how that was given to Messi. You can't say it was unfair although VVD wouldn't be undeserving.

Not having any of the 2021 snub though. RL9 was literally the only player that year who had zero rough patches and kept banging them in left, right, centre every month and standing out as an individual performer. Everyone was referring to him as the Best in the World.

KingLeo10

Sure. The 2019 votes reflected fairly......a defender in insane form can never have the same impact as a Forward in insane form. That's just how the game is. So I can understand how that was given to Messi. You can't say it was unfair although VVD wouldn't be undeserving.

Not having any of the 2021 snub though. RL9 was literally the only player that year who had zero rough patches and kept banging them in left, right, centre every month and standing out as an individual performer. Everyone was referring to him as the Best in the World.

I mean there's relatively few instances where there should be a runaway Ballon D'Or winner - where the gap between best performing player and second best performing player is so large it's not even a debate that season

Some examples from recent memory that fit this criteria:

Kaka 2007
CR7 2008
Messi 2009
Messi 2011
Messi 2012
CR7 2014
Messi 2015
CR7 2017
Benzema 2022

Lewa 2020, incidentally, was one of them. I think more people had Lewa as the better player in 20/21 than they did Messi, but it was a lot closer than 19/20, where Lewa was runaway the best.

Rassvet

Would be typical of RL9's relationship with the ballon d'or if he hits 50 goals and wins the champions league this season but finishes second behind someone who wins it based off the world cup.

Temptation

Would be typical of RL9's relationship with the ballon d'or if he hits 50 goals and wins the champions league this season but finishes second behind someone who wins it based off the world cup.

RL9 gonna do a Maradona 86 and carry Poland to a World Cup single-handedly!!! :boss:

KingLeo10

If he wins the CL with this Barca, he will guaranteed win the Ballon D'Or :lol:

All 5 previous Barca teams to win the CL were the best in the world...so to win it without Barca being among the favorites would be an amazing achievement.

Temptation

If he wins the CL with this Barca, he will guaranteed win the Ballon D'Or :lol:

All 5 previous Barca teams to win the CL were the best in the world...so to win it without Barca being among the favorites would be an amazing achievement.

Plus he's getting way better PR than the Bayern propoganda machines were providing him....

Lobbying is a big part of it.

Temptation

Then they'd cancel the award because it was an unusual season with the world cup being in november and december

Hahaha exactly. Tell me about it!!

They can't let a Polish man win it after working his way through the ranks. He's not one of France Football's favourite blue eyed boys....:lol:

Temptation

Xavi: "I have ran out of words to praise Robert Lewandowski. I'm in love! His signing was fantastic."

Xavi officially joins the "twerking for Lewy" bandwagon. :mou:

zanela

[MENTION=1500]zanela[/MENTION]

After his 2nd goal the immediate thing he did was to run over to Demb?l? to thank him as he played the pass that Lewandowski was demanding the whole time.
Link: https://streamff.com/v/7morce

Now on the other 2 goals, those were basically all him. It's not really the norm to hype a simple shortpass and a lay off when realistically he is the one that snipes it in from 20m out.
He certainly appreciates great assists when they occur, but if he's the one that creates the goal, well then why not celebrate himself a little? He surely deserved it. It's not that unusual really.

I do agree that there are times when its more about the goalscorer than the assister, and the former is within his right to relish in his hardwork. But I have also noticed RL not being charitable during other times either. The example you have cited shows the team turn to Dembele to celebrate, and he apears to follow suit. Or perhaps, I'm misreading it and he's more humble than I'm giving him credit for. I will stand corrected if I see more evidence to this effect in the future.

Doesn't take away anything from his superlative weekly performances at Barca, and from many more to come, hopefully.

Home of Barca Fans