7 - Ferran Torres

El Gato

Villarato!
Playing well is important but not necessarily necessary, or not the most important factor to attract players. Rayo Vallacano played well under Paco Jimez but didn't go anywhere either. Results, silverware or the potential of it, money all trump playing well when it comes to attracting players, in my opinion.

Plenty of potential for silverware when Real are so inconsistent.
Playing well is the first priority for building to this Barca. Can't buy much so have to learn to play well with what they got. Have enough to show Haaland who also plays with Reynas and other kids in Bundesliga and Barca have a CL qualification guaranteed every year so that also not an issue.

How much he prefers City is to be seen

Mateka

Frankly, he is right. The dream of playing for City is geographically restricted to lads who grew up in Manchester like Foden. At best, just England. At least in my part of the world, very few kids support Man City.

The fact that one kid - Foden - plays for City disproves it. Very few kids supporting City in other parts of the world also disproves it.

Mateka

:lol::lol: Don't get so triggered.

You still haven't fielded a Ballon D'Or winning player, let alone grown one.

You are in a city with a historic club - United.

You financially doped your way to success - yes the historic clubs enjoyed financial monopoly as well at various points but it was MORE earned.

Your greatest ever manager is synonymous with Barcelona and his side was one of the greatest in history. Nothing he can do at City will top that.

Most of your points I will ignore as click bait.

The point I am challenging is that no kid will grow up, at least for generations, wanting to play for City. Utter arrogant nonsense.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Plenty of potential for silverware when Real are so inconsistent.

Exactly my point, playing well doesn't necessarily lead to silverware and vice versa (not playing well doesn't necessarily negate silverware). Scores of players had wanted to join you guys and continue to be the case today, I doubt it had anything to do with Real Madrid playing well, had much more to do with prestige/fame, silverware potential and money (not as much as what we offered in the past when we were crazy, but still a lot of money).

Playing well is the first priority for building to this Barca. Can't buy much so have to learn to play well with what they got. Have enough to show Haaland who also plays with Reynas and other kids in Bundesliga and Barca have a CL qualification guaranteed every year so that also not an issue.

At this point when we don't have much money to dream big, yes, we will have to make do with what we have. Playing well matters, don't get me wrong, but if that doesn't get us anywhere than it is pretty useless. A good starting point, yes.

serghei

Playing well is important but not necessarily necessary, or not the most important factor to attract players. Rayo Vallacano played well under Paco Jimez but didn't go anywhere either. Results, silverware or the potential of it, money all trump playing well when it comes to attracting players, in my opinion.

Results, silverware, quality of the collective, all these add to basically the pleasure of working. That's a great thing to have. When you don't have that, you have to overspend to get players to stay, and even then, it's not the same effect.

A team that works well will tend to keep players happy with "only" fair pay. Won't have to pay up PSG wages. There are very few players who would pull powerplays and extort the club for much more money. Plus, when a team functions well on a macro level, there's less pressure and a tendency to give in to individuals.

Say... If Mahrez comes right now and asks for a big raise, City probably will tell him no. And Mahrez won't have much leverage. If he overplays his card and pushes, he will be moved.

Thing is, if players start to think a lot about their earnings it's one of two things: a) they are either clearly underpaid to the point it becomes a stress for them (highly unlikely at big clubs), or b) they are thinking about themselves more and more, and about what they will do after they retire, trying to secure their livelihood. Of course, there's also a c) where some players are mostly money-oriented.

If it's b), you should already consider that player to be a good candidate for replacing and opting for a hungrier, younger player.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Frankly, he is right. The dream of playing for City is geographically restricted to lads who grew up in Manchester like Foden. At best, just England. At least in my part of the world, very few kids support Man City.

There'll be Foden and then a decade will go by before the next one...nevermind all those choosing United much less other clubs in England

El Gato

Villarato!
Exactly my point, playing well doesn't necessarily lead to silverware and vice versa (not playing well doesn't necessarily negate silverware).

I don't see your point. Feels like arguing over a technicality.

Whatever the case Barca will be attractive enough to try and convince a Haaland if kids you've brought through prove useful enough for him to want to from the next good side should he want to be in Spain.
There'll be a problem if they aren't as exciting as seem and Xavi is full of old ideas (which can also be rectified). Hence next 6 months quite important.

Most of your points I will ignore as click bait.

The point I am challenging is that no kid will grow up, at least for generations, wanting to play for City. Utter arrogant nonsense.

You had one come through the ranks at City to play anywhere near top level in last 20 years.
Anyone of note who spent 2 years at your academy bolted and never returned.
Your best academy prospect in last 10 years literally just joined your city rivals.
Bodes well for generations of Mancunians and their 'City dreams' :lol:

Before Pep for years been an underperforming club that had to be helped by an average SAF-led side and a Gerrard slip to your league titles.
Sit down you mug and get your delusions of grandeur in check

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Results, silverware, quality of the collective, all these add to basically the pleasure of working. That's a great thing to have. When you don't have that, you have to overspend to get players to stay, and even then, it's not the same effect.

A team that works well will tend to keep players happy with "only" fair pay. Won't have to pay up PSG wages. There are very few players who would pull powerplays and extort the club for much more money. Plus, when a team functions well on a macro level, there's less pressure and a tendency to give in to individuals.

Say... If Mahrez comes right now and asks for a big raise, City probably will tell him no. And Mahrez won't have much leverage. If he overplays his card and pushes, he will be moved.

Thing is, if players start to think a lot about their earnings it's one of two things: a) they are either clearly underpaid to the point it becomes a stress for them (highly unlikely at big clubs), or b) they are thinking about themselves more and more, and about what they will do after they retire, trying to secure their livelihood. Of course, there's also a c) where some players are mostly money-oriented.

If it's b), you should already consider that player to be a good candidate for replacing and opting for a hungrier, younger player.

Yes, most of the players in any squad would be fine, but if we are talking about getting the creme of the crop players like Haaland today etc. with a lot of clubs chasing after them, then it can get really nitty gritty, and with the agents getting empowered so much these days, money talks.

I've got a feeling that today with a lot of younger players, loyalty or dream to play for a certain club as a kid is increasingly becoming less important, project (including the potential to win silverware) and money rein supreme.

We will have to plan with a lot of prudence involved, at this point.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We were linked heavily to Ferran Torres when he was at Valencia and believe even attempted to sign him for Juvenil A/Barca B before he signed a professional contract with them.

Playing in the PL is attractive for a lot of players, especially playing for Pep, but I think most Spaniards and South Americans would prefer going to Barca or Real Madrid over any other team.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If Pep or someone else can start winning CLs back to back or pretty regularly for City then yes, perhaps a generation later some kids outside of the Manchester area and England will grow up wanting to play for them. It will take a long time.

Mateka

I don't see your point. Feels like arguing over a technicality.

Whatever the case Barca will be attractive enough to try and convince a Haaland if kids you've brought through prove useful enough for him to want to from the next good side should he want to be in Spain.
There'll be a problem if they aren't as exciting as seem and Xavi is full of old ideas (which can also be rectified). Hence next 6 months quite important.

You had one come through the ranks at City to play anywhere near top level in last 20 years.
Anyone of note who spent 2 years at your academy bolted and never returned.
Your best academy prospect in last 10 years literally just joined your city rivals.
Bodes well for generations of Mancunians and their 'City dreams' :lol:

Before Pep for years been an underperforming club that had to be helped by an average SAF-led side and a Gerrard slip to your league titles.
Sit down you mug and get your delusions of grandeur in check

Firstly, I object to your name calling. Be courteous or be quiet.

Man City were founded in 1880. Do you honestly think no kids have ever grown up dreaming of playing for City? That kids only grow up dreaming of playing for Barca.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Firstly, I object to your name calling. Be courteous or be quiet.

Man City were founded in 1880. Do you honestly think no kids have ever grown up dreaming of playing for City? That kids only grow up dreaming of playing for Barca.

Come on.

Most kids in the UK and even Manchester don't grow up dreaming to play for you lot. Maybe they did 70 years ago, but not now and not in the last couple of decades.

Even you know that.

I bet if not their local teams then teams like Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea are the most favorite options.

serghei

Yes, most of the players in any squad would be fine, but if we are talking about getting the creme of the crop players like Haaland today etc. with a lot of clubs chasing after them, then it can get really nitty gritty, and increasingly with the agents getting empowered so much these days, money talks.

I've got a feeling that today with a lot of younger players, loyalty or dream to play for a certain club as a kid is increasingly becoming less important, project (including the potential to win silverware) and money rein supreme.

We will have to plan with a lot of prudence involved, at this point.

I think the money-driven super young kid is a red flag. I do not have confidence in the mentality of kids who prioritize money at 19-20-21 years of age. I would consider it a very dangerous zone in the market.

The only ones dumb enough to roll with it in the future are you know who, our Qatari friends at PSG.

Home of Barca Fans