6 - Gavi

Iniesta Ultra

Yeah he has played much better, but I think it was still a bit impressive. His touch and technique are great, he got himself out of a few situations very well there in the beginning of that video. I like the intentions with his movements a lot of the time, as well as his intensity.

He should've scored there though, and he should've played at least one pass on the inside in the game, it was pretty much only recieve on the outside - pass it along on the outside. It was also only 35 attempted passes in his 66 mins, he was too little involved.
Also as an aside: I counted him falling down on the grass eight times in that video, that is quite much...

The long pass to him at 1:37 his first touch dunno if he was controlling for himself or intended for Auba but shanked pretty badly. The missed goal way extremely off target, however difficult the half volley was. 2:18 another medium range pass to him his first touch lost him possession and he immediately fouls the player. He needs to improve his first touch from passes that aren't soft. No key passes. I remember watching live he had an average Torres-esque match but didn't comment at the time, yes of course Puig would've easily done more.

Bobo32

When he is played at winger he is more of a placeholder than anything to protect the defense and Alba overlaps and picks up offense for that side. Not a role for a really talented player but exploits his good defensive capabilities.

Not sure why you quoted that post by me there, Gavi played CM last game...
And I don't agree about the LW role, I think it suits a talented player like Gavi very well and having a talented player like Gavi there has made Alba and Frenkie (and then the entire team) play better too. Torres gives you something else from that position and is also talented and a good choice when you want a slightly different balance.

I think Xavi has found a very nice balance with that Gavi LW setup, reminds me very much of how it was when he himself combined with Alves and Messi on the right hand side for Henry to be isolated on the other flank and score some easy goals.

Bobo32

The long pass to him at 1:37 his first touch dunno if he was controlling for himself or intended for Auba but shanked pretty badly. The missed goal way extremely off target, however difficult the half volley was. 2:18 another medium range pass to him his first touch lost him possession and he immediately fouls the player. He needs to improve his first touch from passes that aren't soft. No key passes. I remember watching live he had an average Torres-esque match but didn't comment at the time, yes of course Puig would've easily done more.

Yeah I think he wanted to find Auba there, pretty difficult thing to do and he has my excuse for failing there. Potential assist if it had worked out so it was ok.
2:18 yeah seems like he couldve done better, but any player will make some mistakes in a game.

If he is to be criticized for that game, I think it is because he was too little involved yes, as I wrote: 35 attempted passes, 28yds progression in total...
There is something to be said about a player who can do so little, and still be praised. I don't think at all that Gavi is a fraud, but he just as well could have been and still be praised.

Iniesta Ultra

Yeah I think he wanted to find Auba there, pretty difficult thing to do and he has my excuse for failing there. Potential assist if it had worked out so it was ok.
2:18 yeah seems like he couldve done better, but any player will make some mistakes in a game.

If he is to be criticized for that game, I think it is because he was too little involved yes, as I wrote: 35 attempted passes, 28yds progression in total...
There is something to be said about a player who can do so little, and still be praised. I don't think at all that Gavi is a fraud, but he just as well could have been and still be praised.

I like Gavi too but he needs a lot more refinement, the comparison earlier to Messi should be patronizing. I can't relate but the level of bias in people's opinions here is exceptional.

Bobo32

I compared one aspect of Messi to Gavi and I stay by it. His balance is out of this world ;-)

He fell at least 8 times in that video, balance isn't the first thing I'd praise him for.
He has a low centre of gravity and is pretty agile, technical and intense, though, like Messi. His balance reminds me more of Neymar...

ajnotkeith

Not sure why you quoted that post by me there, Gavi played CM last game...
And I don't agree about the LW role, I think it suits a talented player like Gavi very well and having a talented player like Gavi there has made Alba and Frenkie (and then the entire team) play better too. Torres gives you something else from that position and is also talented and a good choice when you want a slightly different balance.

I think Xavi has found a very nice balance with that Gavi LW setup, reminds me very much of how it was when he himself combined with Alves and Messi on the right hand side for Henry to be isolated on the other flank and score some easy goals.

Actually meant to quote Gnido slightly above you but tbh I disagree.

I think it leads to that flank being stagnant and no offense comes from there, and the other team can focus on the right flank knowing that's where we will attack through. Whilst there is value in ball circulation and having that outlet to assist in the possession game as he does he doesn't really threaten in attack.

For how good Gavi is, he does not offer a great amount going forward at winger. And currently we are trying to play a more traditional wide play 433, so I don't think Gavi at LW will work against the better opponents.

Bobo32

Actually meant to quote Gnido slightly above you but tbh I disagree.

I think it leads to that flank being stagnant and no offense comes from there, and the other team can focus on the right flank knowing that's where we will attack through.

For how good Gavi is, he does not offer a great amount going forward at winger. And currently we are trying to play a more traditional wide play 433, so I don't think Gavi at LW will work against the better opponents.

Oh ok then I see.
Yeah but it's also a bit of a work in progress, let us see. We disagree so far but maybe we'll agree later.

In any way I am glad to finally see clear hints of (still free flowing of course) structure to the attack, after maybe 10 years without visible structure. Pep used a lot of these shifts and tilts succesfully of course, then it was mostly just MSN and pray and then Messi and pray... Koeman put four attacking players on (most of them mediocre) and prayed. I didn't really see these overloads, switches of positions, movement/counter movements etc in the same way for many years, it seems so easy to instruct but to make it work and be visible on the TV is obviously a bit difficult.
Finally I feel again that it is Barcelona who decide on the pitch, that the opponent may have the ability to make a choice but it is the same choice as someone deciding whether to move or not while being strangled by a boa...

This is what it was like when Xavi himself played and I am seeing hints of this with Barcelona now and I think the positioning of the players has been crucial, Xavi has found a nice balance in most games and Gavi at LW is no exception in my mind. He has used this setup now and then, for example against Atletico, I don't think it's a permanent setup but something that depends on game plan.
Sometimes, in a functioning team, we can see a player playing only 35 passes with 28yds progression in total, and still doing his part nicely, because he makes "silent work" lol. I think this is partly the case with Gavi.

Joan

We might have a problem with finding a position for him in our current setup. He's not any good as a LW, more so since we have better players in that role who contribute right away. Namely Torres and Depay. To make things worse, he's too good to be left out, and doesn't seem to excel on the right. Wonder what Xavi makes of it.

Porque

I think he and Pedri can rotate starts. I don't think the gap is that big, and Pedri doesn't warrant to stay on when playing average.

But I think Xavi can relate (work more?) with the style of Pedri and has him as his next most indispensible midfielder after Busi. Just my opinion, ofc.

Gnidrologist

He shines most in the same position as Pedri, which is a problem. Hope Xavi can find solution to this. I remember they couldn't find optimal way for Xavi and Iniesta to play together for some time too. I also think they play too isolated from each other. Their skill set is made for feeding off each other, making quick one-twos and such.

TheStig

We might have a problem with finding a position for him in our current setup. He's not any good as a LW, more so since we have better players in that role who contribute right away. Namely Torres and Depay. To make things worse, he's too good to be left out, and doesn't seem to excel on the right. Wonder what Xavi makes of it.

Bench Busi

Bobo32

Gavi at LW yesterday, and the game was pretty terrible, and Gavi completely invisible.
I thought the reason was more to do with a sleepy team than bad tactics, but it's always hard to tell.

I'd rather try Gavi at midfield in HT when Torres came on, to sub either Pedri or Frenkie who were both a bit underwhelming. I think that Pedri and Frenkie are too similar in a lot of ways, while Gavi is more similar to Puig. How many times did Pedri and Frenkie play together, and how many games did they dominate?

Home of Barca Fans