6 - Gavi

Joan

He shines most in the same position as Pedri, which is a problem. Hope Xavi can find solution to this. I remember they couldn't find optimal way for Xavi and Iniesta to play together for some time too. I also think they play too isolated from each other. Their skill set is made for feeding off each other, making quick one-twos and such.

Yeah, I pretty much had this in mind.

Kul_z

He shines most in the same position as Pedri, which is a problem. Hope Xavi can find solution to this. I remember they couldn't find optimal way for Xavi and Iniesta to play together for some time too. I also think they play too isolated from each other. Their skill set is made for feeding off each other, making quick one-twos and such.

Spot on. He has that skillset but not for winger, at least in this formation and layout. But id like them to be close, yes. Combination of gavi agression and pedri's smart movement off while pressing and on the ball while building attack should coexist but how dont know. Lets hope xavi finds their ultimate position in first 11

Mrgandalf

Curious member
This is the transition season. Busquets will retire soon and Gavi will be the third player in the midfield. Playing him as a winger is just to gain experience and reach the rhythm of the game at this level.

mc_lovin

I mean he was great on the wing vs Atletico, but generally it's a bit hit and miss putting a midfielder there.

The important thing is to give him play time.

Zidane82

I mean he was great on the wing vs Atletico, but generally it's a bit hit and miss putting a midfielder there.

The important thing is to give him play time.

Exactly. He has got everything he needs to be a rare talent ( as does Pedri ) but Gavi just needs the games / experience

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Watching Verratti play I wonder how he'd do as the deepest midfielder of a trio, as a CDM. Not similar players obviously.

Frenkie - Gavi - Pedri

serghei

Watching Verratti play I wonder how he'd do as the deepest midfielder of a trio, as a CDM. Not similar players obviously.

Frenkie - Gavi - Pedri

Interesting idea. Height is overrated. Pit bulls aren't tallest dogs, but nobody wants to deal with a mean one.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Interesting idea. Height is overrated. Pit bulls aren't tallest dogs, but nobody wants to deal with a mean one.

Now Verratti had Paredes and Danilo with him last night so a different situation, but there's been games where he's played as the deepest midfielder of the three and as a de-facto CDM.

Verratti obviously also has a greater passing range than Gavi, but the latter got the mobility, tenacity/aggressiveness that it would be intriguing to see how he does in that role. How he does positioning wise is anyone's guess.

This way you could fit in the three of them(FdJ, Pedri & Gavi) in the same midfield.

Home of Barca Fans