6 - Gavi

mc_lovin

Him and Balde seem to be the real deal not only in terms of the 'typical Barca technical' but also the right profile and combination of technical, physical, combative, aggressive and pace, the kind of profile that all the best teams in the world are looking for in players these days. And the kind of profile we as a team have sorely lacked in all the years of being obsessed with the 'outdated Barca way'. That's why I believe they'd also have the best chance to succeed outside of Barca, if they were to leave at some point (hopefully not of course!). Same profile goes for Araujo. No wonder PL clubs were/are circling around them, before they agreed to extend here.

The mental gymnastics :lol:

This shit about Barca DNA grinds my gears. How exactly are we not closer to that than in the last 8 years or so? Suddenly Gavi is the exception :lol: The 'typical Barca technical/Barca DNA' phrase just became a collective term for failed Barca youth products... guess what genius, we are still up there with producing the most top, top players. Just look at Madrid and co.

There is no higher truth. We didn't fail because of 'Barca DNA'. We blew 500m+ on flops (Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele...) - you don't recover easily from that. 'Barca DNA' actually held us afloat.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

Gavi is as Barca dna as it gets. And Araujo is new Puyol, being better at younger age too. Wasn't Puyi barca dna? Guess Alves, who was physical speed beast just like Balde might become, wasn't our proper Barca guy either. Only flops are truly ours. BBZ logic

iniestaGOAT

This shit about Barca DNA grinds my gears. How exactly are we not closer to that than in the last 8 years or so? Suddenly Gavi is the exception :lol: The 'typical Barca technical/Barca DNA' phrase just became a collective term for failed Barca youth products... guess what genius, we are still up there with producing the most top, top players. Just look at Madrid and co.

There is no higher truth. We didn't fail because of 'Barca DNA'. We blew 500m+ on flops (Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele...) - you don't recover easily from that. 'Barca DNA' actually held us afloat.

This is true. We would be completely fucked right now after all the failed singings without Barca youth La MAsia DNA

Messi983

For me problem with "Barca DNA" is not giving chance to youngsters (those who prove to be good enough like Gavi will stay while others like Mavericky and Alena are already gone - and they were also not given much playing time when here anyway) but overstaying of the old guard who are all past their prime for years. I think giving our beloved captains longterm extensions was a bigger downfall than 100m flops (which wouldn't really hurt us that much financially if not for Covid). Mainly because we took a loss and moved on from Coutinho and Griezmann soon while we can't do the same with Catalan golden boys.

mc_lovin

For me problem with "Barca DNA" is not giving chance to youngsters (those who prove to be good enough like Gavi will stay while others like Mavericky and Alena are already gone - and they were also not given much playing time when here anyway) but overstaying of the old guard who are all past their prime for years. I think giving our beloved captains longterm extensions was a bigger downfall than 100m flops (which wouldn't really hurt us that much financially if not for Covid). Mainly because we took a loss and moved on from Coutinho and Griezmann soon while we can't do the same with Catalan golden boys.

Dude, that just boils down to bad leadership (again).

A weak president can't get rid of players that are bigger than him. Compare that to Laporta.

JamDav1982

Gavi isnt a 'typcial' Barca mid and there are positives and negatives to that.

At moment his main strength is his mentality and energy.. clearly he has quality also.

But ask him to play a discipline midfield role and try to dictate, move and defend as part of system in CM and he has a lot to learn. Pedri for example is levels ahead on understanding that side of it and the range of passing often required from midfield.

That game on LW is about first top class game he has had this season and it was in main to his aggresive movements and runs in behind.. also the quality to take advantage of that.

I dont like Pedri/Gavi CM at moment as Gavi struggles to impact game as part of system in there and Pedri the far better AM in a three up until now. So Pedri is then restricted and having to try and drop deep to help Busi. Exactly same as why their midfield failed to dominate in World Cup.

Be intersting to see how Xavi adapts v the poorer teams if goes Gav from left again as wont have that space to run into but can give him a freer role to get in box and closer to Lewa or freer role to go looking for ball in areas can impact.

mc_lovin

Gavi isnt a 'typcial' Barca mid and there are positives and negatives to that.

He's small, technical and presses like a mad dog. Sounds exactly like 'Barca DNA' to me, which is an infuriatingly vague term though.

I see what you are trying to say, but it's still a rather blurry point with a randomly drawn line.

JamDav1982

He's small, technical and presses like a mad dog. Sounds exactly like 'Barca DNA' to me, which is an infuriatingly vague term though.

I see what you are trying to say, but it's still a rather blurry point with a randomly drawn line.

It depends on what 'Barca DNA' is.

I dont take that as having to be small but the way players try to play the game and try to play it.

The best youngsters coming through have been ones that havent had that so much in recent times.

Feels like there has been a shift away from it being of such importance and resulted in too many over coached, one dimensional players not used to adversity but dominaning in a system when young...likes of Samper would be clear example of it.

Barca for too long thought they created Inieasta and Xavi and tried to replicate them.

I dont see Gavi as that 'Barca DNA' type.. which in most part is a good thing.

His pressing is headless chicken a lot of the time... not clever pressure. Pedri and FDJ for now have much better understanding of that side of it.

jamrock

Well said.

jamrock

Even without covid the model was unsustainable, covid happened to every sports team on the planet, not just Barcelona & we are by far the worst affected team, to this day.

You can't spend over half a billion euros on players, plus ridiculous wages, & ridiculous extensions, while only winning the copa del Rey and think that's sustainable model,that would be working if not for covid.

The cards was always gonna come crumbling down.

Our biggest issue had always been Leadership, I said it then, while everyone was bitching about "the amigos", their contracts and the control they had over the club, who was the one in change while all that happened?.

You even said it yourself just now, the contract extension of our vets, who gave them those contracts?.

Sorry just grinds my gears when I hear people say without covid we would be okay, as if covid only happened in Barcelona.

Bartomeau only happened in Barcelona.

JamDav1982

The previous board couldnt see past the end of their own term... as almoast always the case at Barca but doesnt make it any better.

They had doubled down on amigos and what they thought would bring instant success.

The amortised costs of those players that failed was just too high and all the amigos..Messi included were on far too much money.

Only saving grace is they left Pedri, Araujo etc in the team and Gavi, Balde, Fati etc came through while FDJ, Dembele & MATS were there but financially their squad 'building' and covid left club 'broke'.

I am convinced they would have tried to sell off % of BLM and also the Barca media side of it in last year to try and claim financial situation was solved but covid on top of it fucked all those plans.

To be fair they did also have the foresight to split BLM and set up the media side which will allow for money through levers and potentially more income in future by selling off a %. Those were very wise business decisions but those should have been on top of wiser squad level decisions and not pandering to amigos as easier in short term.

Iniesta Ultra

Alena's certified flop should never be mentioned with Puig smfh.

Messi983

Even without covid the model was unsustainable, covid happened to every sports team on the planet, not just Barcelona & we are by far the worst affected team, to this day.

You can't spend over half a billion euros on players, plus ridiculous wages, & ridiculous extensions, while only winning the copa del Rey and think that's sustainable model,that would be working if not for covid.

The cards was always gonna come crumbling down.

Our biggest issue had always been Leadership, I said it then, while everyone was bitching about "the amigos", their contracts and the control they had over the club, who was the one in change while all that happened?.

You even said it yourself just now, the contract extension of our vets, who gave them those contracts?.

Sorry just grinds my gears when I hear people say without covid we would be okay, as if covid only happened in Barcelona.

Bartomeau only happened in Barcelona.

Ofc that model wasn't sustainable longterm but nobody could predict we would lose like half a billion of projected revenues in 18-24 months. Without Covid would still need to lower wage bill but would be nowhere near in as bad situation as we are now.

And obviously Bartomeu is responsible for both buying flops and extending amigos but longterm I just think the latter are a bigger reason why we are where we are from a sporting perspective for the reasons explained in previous post.

Home of Barca Fans