21 - Frenkie de Jong

vuji_31

Okay we offload De Jong for 70mil...Who we get in midfield then?

Old Gundo, crocket Gavi, always injured Pedri and few mediocre players like Fermin and Christensen

Joan

Okay we offload De Jong for 70mil...Who we get in midfield then?

Old Gundo, crocket Gavi, always injured Pedri and few mediocre players like Fermin and Christensen
De Jong is not a bad player himself. That's pretty obvious. But he's a bad fit and has always been in many configurations. On the other hand, definitely not worth overhauling our whole team just to fit him. Nor is it possible.

Definitely makes sense to sell and go for a player that actually fits the rest of our players. DM is a must. This team with Zubimendi instead of de Jong is a better unit, in spite of Frenkie being a superior player.

mc_lovin

To be fair keeping Frenkie and adding a (good) DM would be pretty great... so it's not necessarily about him for me.

It's just that if we need to sell someone it should be him first. And it's safe to say we need one big sale.

jamrock

If you keep de jong and add a midfielder it still doesn't work until you use some form of double pivot, and push gavi into an winger/AM like we did in the box Midfield.

The point of de jong is that he simply isn't good enough for us to do all of that for

Gotta do too much to make him look good, because he simply isn't that good

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
To be fair keeping Frenkie and adding a (good) DM would be pretty great... so it's not necessarily about him for me.

It's just that if we need to sell someone it should be him first. And it's safe to say we need one big sale.

It's a bit more complicated than even that. He has two years left on his contract so even if that is possible you almost certainly have to renew him then and I'm willing to bet you him and his agent won't accept a salary cut. They will only renew on the existing or better terms.

Question then becomes is he worth being paid as one of the best players in his position compared to his performances and role going forward?

My personal opinion is no way.

vuji_31

For me problem with De Jong is his offensive output as CM.

He is like blind chicken, his passing is really average, shooting is not even average.

His goal contribution is reallylow,plus add not creating much chances...

I

jamrock

Hardly the worst idea looking at our LW (and the transfer options there).

That's just wasting Gavi to get de jong to perform slightly better than he does now, but still not truly world class.

I'd rather Play gavi in the position he has shown the most potential, which is as a proper midfielder than waste him as an AM.

DonAK

That works great in the league, but won't work in Europe. Just way too one-dimensional. Would probably be worse for Gavi in the long-run.
Give him a long run in his best position and give him a chance to show his quality as he did early on before he was turned into a workhorse to cover up some of our deficiencies.

mc_lovin

We still have Raphina to be fair, who was decent at LW. So it all boils down to how we can make a DM happen. If we can sign one and keep Frenkie that's obviously preferable to selling him. Not like we can improve other positions well I suppose (like LW). Not even lookign at money, there are just no desirable targets.

DonAK

Signing a LW is tricky because unless you bet on someone like Nico Williams or someone else like that available for 40-50m, you're essentially waiting for someone else to sign them up, develop them and put on a 120m price tag.

Would take a miracle to sign a LW that would be able to contribute right away unless you essentially spend your entire budget on him. Even a Brazilian talent nowadays would be a 40-60m investment. Wingers and strikers will always be the most expensive players.

Not saying you should sign Nico even though I like him and would if we could afford it after signing a proper CDM first, but if you think that way there will never be a desirable target unless you're willing to make a massive investment.

jamrock

The box Midfield just pushes too many players out of position or to the bench to fit de jong.

In a box, we push Gavi out of position,then we have to bench one of raphinha or Yamal.

If we go 4-2-3-1, you bench Gavi completely, in reality you'd bench de jong, because I'd back Gavi to push De jong out the team

But just in keeping with the DM, De Jong conversation, to do all that just for a player that we never Shown Real WC ability, nah just sell him.

PS how refreshing is it to have conversations on the forum again without someone turning everything into an argument.

Home of Barca Fans