21 - Frenkie de Jong

serghei

He's a clueless DM, because he doesn't want to do the vital defensive groundwork that comes with the job. And a good, not special CM. If he can be sold for 80m, do it.

His mentality is starting to become questionable. Expected more leader qualities in him but he was bad this season.

I think I now understand why Xavi still valued Busi last season.

Last edited:

Joan

I think I now understand why Xavi still valued Busi last season.
As old and slow as Busi was, he was still a good to very good DM in league matches. Especially when you consider the Primera tempo. And more importantly, our only DM.

It's a what if situation, but I'd be willing to wager we'd win the league again if he didn't leave. Even with injuries. Though Mats' one was particularly tough.

This season even Christensen, who has instincts of a CB rater than a DM, has proven to have a transformational effect on the team.

Trafalgar

Let's just face it, De Jong is an average player. If we can get 60-70m for him and get rid of his enormous wages, we should take it.
My best friend, a Real Madrid supporter, used to tell me this all the time, that our team was full of average players and bottlers. I told him that he was full of shit, or maybe I didn't want to admit it because deep down, I agreed with him.

khaled_a_d

Frenkie is good, but again not a good fit and just isn't that good to tailor a game plan for him.

He doesn't know how to deal with high press, he has low defensive awareness even for a CM, he has a high cost too and he is almost 27, so the time for him to be worth a lot is closing down rapidly.

The team as it is is badly structured, and it needs work tbh. You keep him then someone else need to leave (Pedri/Gavi) unless we are just content with what we have even with it's flaws.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's elite at carrying the ball, but average to mediocre in defensive awareness, setting up the tempo of game, creativity, shooting.

Sadly the idea of Frenkie de Jong is better than the actual player.

Joan

The tougher part seems to be getting Frenkie to leave than getting an offer. If he refuses to renew on more reasonable terms, we'll be forced to take what's on the table.

He seems too content here, has great contract, and no pressure to leave.

jamrock

I just hope the people at the club are coming around to the same realization the forum is re de jong and try to move him on in the summer.

Home of Barca Fans