21 - Frenkie de Jong

serghei

That will be bad outcome for us. Neves is probably the best option we are following for DM position.

No way. He is very overrated.

Would be Andre Gomes with more meat on him.

They'd better not bring Neves or Meunier or some other stuff I'm reading...

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yeah, not a fan of Neves or Zubimendi.

Barca's best shot currently is either Nico or Frenkie making that position their own, or to wait and find someone else in the market.

If Barca/Xavi are serious about Nico and really trust him as reports suggest Xavi has to give him a considerable amount of minutes at CDM this season.

Either that or loan him out.

serghei

I'd rather groom Nico. I see some potential in this position. Will take a lot of work, but I like him. He is aggressive and strong.

Also gets away with many harsh fouls a la Casemiro. :D

DM position is gonna be very very hard task to fill in the next few years. Not seeing many options.

serghei

Same ... but it looks like Pjanic is favoured for the new season with Nico out on loan for a year .,

That's fine. Busi and Pjanic are gonna do well I think next season. Beyond that both will probably be gone by start of 2023-24 season. Would use Nico getting experience somewhere, but I think some other team would rather use him as some sort of box to box.

Maybe 2-3 teams in the world use a DM like we do.

DonAK

Pjanic being Busquets' sub for CDM is frankly speaking a fucking joke.

Both are slow as fuck and would be liabilities when the stakes are high in the CL. No amount of "protection" and having players run for them will keep them from getting exposed.

serghei

Both are slow as fuck and would be liabilities when the stakes are high in the CL. No amount of "protection" and having players run for them will keep them from getting exposed.

Not so sure. Jorginho is same profile. It depends on how the team works. Spain were unlucky not to win Euro last year with Busi as DM.

They are not ideal, far from it even, but for La Liga, which will be main objective, they will be very good I think.

The problem is we don't have an elite experienced midfielder next to Busquets, like Chelsea had with Kante. Frenkie is a letdown, Pedri is frankly overrated imo bar some bits of genius, and Gavi is not ready. Kessie is not a great player.

DonAK

Not so sure. Jorginho is same profile. It depends on how the team works. Spain were unlucky not to win Euro last year with Busi as DM.

Jorginho plays with Kante next to him. Completely different system too.

And Spain were not unlucky. They didn't create much apart from one magical Pedri pass Morata fucked up when they got eliminated. NT football a different game anyway with lower quality.

Zidane82

We have Aroujo and Kounde behind Busqs or Pjanic this season :)

serghei

Jorginho plays with Kante next to him. Completely different system too.

And Spain were not unlucky. They didn't create much apart from one magical Pedri pass Morata fucked up when they got eliminated. NT football a different game anyway with lower quality.

Yes, I included that bit in the comment. A top class midfielder would change the dynamic. We don't have it. But it's not like we expect to win CL or make the final. We're not there yet. The major objective is claiming back the crown in Spain. And it is achievable with Busi and Pjanic.

We can't burn 2-3 years just with a summer. We did enough this summer to make several steps forward, but we're still not a top 4 team. We need 2 more pieces, and some more experience and consistency for Pedri and Gavi.

I would be happy for Pedri to get an injury free season and build some consistency.

serghei

For me it's a step by step process. This season the fight for La Liga should be neck and neck with Madrid. Hopefully, we will further refine the team next summer as Busi leaves and we will have a definitive answer over Dest (prepare for the worst :lol:). And we can add CL as main objective.

Porque

Best option is Andrey Santos who we have been linked with. Watched him after the links through Fanatiz and he is very good.

Haven't seen Danilo admittedly as Brazilian football is a chore to watch and I cancelled my subscription before watching Palmeiras matches :lol:

Home of Barca Fans