2012 CdR Final: Athletic Club - FC Barcelona 0-3

W

woobie

Hah. That statement is several days old and is part of what started off the war of words by politicians. Thankfully, the woman won't be going to the game.

Still really worried about that Falange demonstration.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
No. She said that on Wednesday .

Santiago Espot said, Aguirre had "reawakened the ghost" of Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera, a Spanish dictator who ruled from 1923-30.

W

woobie

No, actually, she said it in an interview to Ondo Cero on Tuesday. :) But yeah, she's representing an extreme right-wing sentiment (which is probably why the Falange got to have their demonstration on the 25th).

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
Esperanza+Aguirre.jpg

Nothing new really. I have more , but let's keep it here.

W

woobie

Correct me if I'm wrong but is not Atletico the more right wing of the two city clubs? I don't think we can pin this one on Florentino.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
It's not about Florentino at all. It's about a Club and the nexus that remains between the Club and Spain's mainstream politics, media, funding etc. Not about individuals .

W

woobie

Ryan, let's agree to disagree on that, shall we? I don't think it's correct to assume that Esperanza Aguirre is a representative of mainstream political views in Spain and I honestly don't think in this case that you can legitimately point any fingers at Real Madrid (other than their petulance at refusing use of the Bernabeau).

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
Ryan, let's agree to disagree on that, shall we? I don't think it's correct to assume that Esperanza Aguirre is a representative of mainstream political views in Spain and I honestly don't think in this case that you can legitimately point any fingers at Real Madrid (other than their petulance at refusing use of the Bernabeau).

sorry ???

Well its a coincidence that for several decades , the persons who had severe problems/differences with FC Barcelona and Catalan nationalism in general are also at the same time are honorary members of Real Madrid or the members of executive committee . Starting from Spanish politicians to ministers in the national Sports department of Spain and several Presidents of the Referee committees and so on... In Spain these two clubs are not only divided because of Sports fanatism but because of sheer differences in Historical approaches , nationalism , politics and geographical agendas ...( for the locals)

Last edited:

La LL

Generally Delightful
Esperanza Aguirre ( President of Madrid Peoples' party) : "If those Catalan and Basque fans decide to whistle from the stands as a protest against the Spanish national anthem, the final should be suspended. We can't allow a minority to offend our Spanish flag or the Spanish King. I am free to say what I think is right as Spain is a country with freedom of speech"

Lot of talking going on about this in la calle. I don't think the game will be suspended but I'm sure there'll be jeering.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Correct me if I'm wrong but is not Atletico the more right wing of the two city clubs? I don't think we can pin this one on Florentino.

Both fan bases have neo-nazi elements but Real Madrid has a more affluent fanbase. If anything Barca and Madrid's core fanbase is a lot more similar than given credit for, petite-bourgeois liberals really.

Atletico has the bigger neo-nazi faction between the more unruly fanbase, military history, and Gil family's shady friends.

Blaming anything on Perez right now makes no sense. The elite of Madrid is overwhelmingly Real Madrid fans, that includes some fascist elements, it includes more mainstream politicians.

I'm sure there is plenty of shady elements among the Catalan upper class, most of whom are probably Barca socis. Don't forget the scandal with Laporta's brother in law.

Sergio

Sergison
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

The women has expressed a concern about disrespect to the anthem and king, not re-in acted the law banning Catalan language. And she has a point given what happened the last time these clubs played in this final. And you know what, as much as I might question Spanish centrality, even I would have to say they have the right to be offended at a stadium in their capital jeering their anthem and head of state. I think you need to grow up and realise just because some Catalans and Basques might dislike being Spanish, that doesn't give them the right to insult them as they wish and still try and claim the moral high ground. Cus you know what, if you have such a problem with Spain and the monarch, you probably shouldn't be getting involved with the competition that bears their names.

DucdeOrléans

Exactly.

The jeering in 2009 was cringeworrthy and most of all an embarrassment for all those Catalans and Basques who are part Spanish themselves (which a lot them are) and don't engage in politics or those who don't have a problem being a part of Spain.

There are better ways of manifesting independence movements than jeering the anthem and thus disrespecting the country, the competition you are participating in and the head of state.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

Well, I've spent a little time trying to understand Spanish politics in the last year and have friends both in Madrid & Barcelona...I'm sure locals in the forum know better too but Aguirre is in the PP, right?...It's a conservative party that not only dominates Spanish politics but is founded by Franco loyalists and former cabinet members...Not sure what constitutes mainstream but the PP are the majority

As for the association with RM, I have no idea how to gauge that but you do get the distinct feeling that this was staged in advance...First the nonsense about the Bernebeu not being available for bathroom renovations and then the Calderon for Coldplay...Then moving the ultras protest by local Madrid authorities, authorities led by Aguirre who has ties to RM...It's not a shaky argument to make, IMO...Just can't definitively say but these sorts of petty political acts are commonplace in a pretty corrupt country, as well

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
Well, I've spent a little time trying to understand Spanish politics in the last year and have friends both in Madrid & Barcelona...I'm sure locals in the forum know better too but Aguirre is in the PP, right?...It's a conservative party that not only dominates Spanish politics but is founded by Franco loyalists and former cabinet members...Not sure what constitutes mainstream but the PP are the majority

As for the association with RM, I have no idea how to gauge that but you do get the distinct feeling that this was staged in advance...First the nonsense about the Bernebeu not being available for bathroom renovations and then the Calderon for Coldplay...Then moving the ultras protest by local Madrid authorities, authorities led by Aguirre who has ties to RM...It's not a shaky argument to make, IMO...Just can't definitively say but these sorts of petty political acts are commonplace in a pretty corrupt country, as well

Exactly . Not only that, majority of the party members openly supports and talks about the Franco regime so loyally even now . I don't know how woobie missed it..

Home of Barca Fans