20 - Sergi Roberto

serghei

They boo him. But I thought he was the Catalan prince?

IMO, the fans have turned on the veterans except for Pique (due to the pay cut at a tough moment). Understandable, the club is picking up embarrassment after embarrassment, and these players have become certified losers who were once great. But at this point, it looks like a lifetime ago (Roberto can't even brag with that, he was okay-sh at his best).

You could feel that they are fed up with these guys. Camp Nou came back to life once the new-gen players entered and started to really go hard for every ball holding nothing back. They would very much rather accept honest mistakes from overexcited, inexperienced young talents, than unfit dudes with no present and no future sticking up the place and collecting one humiliation over another parading the same old & tired excuses in post-match comments.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Fans needed to show those veterans what they think.

Likes of Pique lives in cloud cuckoo land and is a terrible character to have leading a dressing room.

Absolutely convinced Pique/Busi etc still think they are top players doing club a favour by being there.

FinBarcelonafan

Fans needed to show those veterans what they think.

Likes of Pique lives in cloud cuckoo land and is a terrible character to have leading a dressing room.

Absolutely convinced Pique/Busi etc still think they are top players doing club a favour by being there.

True that. Pique seems especially out of this world. Living on his own bubble.

xXKonan

It's 2021 and we are stuck starting Busi and Pique even though the majority of the time they are flat out not good enough anymore.

Roberto was never supposed to be more than a Squad player but we ended up being stuck with him being a starter. No shit people are finally fed up with this shit, same old Veterans same old results and it feels like we are stuck with them because no one wants to "Rock the Boat" and tell them they aren't good enough anymore

The hilarious double standard that we binned the likes of Rakitic, Suarez, etc due to their aging legs and being on high wages but have contributed to winning the treble back in 2015 and the trophies we got since but we can't do that with Pique, Roberto, Busi etc because they were "Home grown". And fuck we lost Messi of all people while we are stuck with these guys.

I respect what they have done but that was in the past but those days are long gone.

snowy

To be fair, he suffered a fractured rib (makes movement painful, even heavy breathing) against Getafe on the 29th.

so sidelined for 2 weeks and immediately thrown back into the game vs Alphonso Davies

That's on the coaches since Gavi, Puig, Kays all available

giphy.gif

JohnN

Sergi is too slow for RB position. Even alba, the running man, is getting slow. Not many midfielders are judged for their performances at right back, so in that sense we shouldn't be so hard on him. I am not sure he would be any good as a starting midfielder either, but that wasn't his role. He was a utility player for Barca during our good times and he was good at it.
We decided to keep him and he had no reason to leave. I disagree with the booing against him.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Sergi is too slow for RB position. Even alba, the running man, is getting slow. Not many midfielders are judged for their performances at right back, so in that sense we shouldn't be so hard on him. I am not sure he would be any good as a starting midfielder either, but that wasn't his role. He was a utility player for Barca during our good times and he was good at it.
We decided to keep him and he had no reason to leave. I disagree with the booing against him.

Thank you, you summarized precisely what I had been thinking. It's incomprehensible why there is so much hate towards a Catalan cantera player of ours who has only wanted to succeed here. It's not his fault that the board of Bartomeu gave him an astronomical contract anymore than that same board poorly planned things sporting-wise to routinely deploy him at RB

It is misplaced to target him

Rory

Basically he’s been given a golden contract by arguably the most incompetent board of all time. Then the next board who are trying to literally save the club (the club he supposedly loves) from bankruptcy has asked him to lower his ridiculously overpriced contract. The sort of money he is on he would not get anywhere else. He says no, despite being la mas?a, Catalan player and one of the club captains.

Barcelona have had thousands of deaths, lost jobs and businesses over the last year and one of their own won’t lower his multimillionaire salary. A salary remember he simply wouldn’t get anywhere else. That’s why they’re annoyed.

Messigician

He's the golden goose don't bother

🎙️| Eduard Romeu: ?Sergi Roberto has made efforts. I'm sorry the fans whistled at him. Surely the negotiation will close soon, for us it is a great thank you.?

Media already instructed to blame coach

Sergi Roberto wants to keep playing in midfield. He believes that part of the reason for his bad performance against Bayern was him playing at right back. In the 3 games he?s played as an interior this season, he has 2 goals and an assist.

? @sport

Zidane82

🚨 [@ferrancorreas🥇] | Sergi Roberto, who provided 2 goals and 1 assist as an interior, hopes to replace Pedri in that midfield spot, to redeem himself to the fans against Granada.

Bobo32

�� [@Bobo32��] | Riqui Puig, who provided 2 goals as an interior, also hopes to replace Pedri in that midfield spot, to redeem himself to Koeman and some of the confused "fans" against Granada

vinni

Barcablugranas has a decent a article regarding the match against Bayern and what role Roberto was asked to play.

:Edited since the link to the article got blocked.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans